How to win over the trust of a Stray/Lost Animal?

Dogstudlover

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has some Tips and Tricks to "Tame" a Stray or Lost Dog. Now I know Strays are gonna be hard to Earn Their Trust and Lost dogs might be abit Tamer. I hate seeing all the Strays or Lost Dogs in my area Lonely and void of Love, so I'm currently trying to earn their trust. If anyone can help, I would be very appreciative.

Kneel down, talk softly, and lots of treats. Let them come to you. Never any sudden movements.

Lots of contact will help. The dog has to see you often (daily if possible) for quite some time to familiarize you. Use very good treats like boiled meat and just sit around throwing it close to the dog. But do not rush it, lots of treats and very slowly throw it closer and closer to you.
What are you going to do with the dog(s) once you get them? Do you have enough space for them to live with you?

Dogs have a "feral switch" in their brain that triggers when they're lost or thrown into a dangerous and unfamiliar environment which locks them into a panicked flight response. You'll need to overcome that.

Patience and knowing them but... Why do you need to tame them?

If you are going to rescue or keep them, thats great, but if you are just using them for sex, give them some food and throw them away you are doing no good, they will just be harder to rely on anyone really wanting to help them

Thx for all the help everyone. Im currently trying to "Win Over" this Bull Mastiff that keeps escaping her yard. She is very friendly but doesn't trust me yet. For instance she will sit right next to me but if I try touch her, she runs away. For the most part I just want to give Love, Food and Treats to them. I can't take them in because I have my own dogs at Home.

Back