How to Approach a Horse

Barb Dwyer

Tourist
NEVER sneak up from behind. Always present yourself in front, in plain view. Stop in front of the horse, at a distance of about one or two horse-lengths. If the horse wants contact, it will close the distance. Then it will literally be in your face. Otherwise it will stand off, and you must respect that.

Don't frighten them. Be calm and quiet. Show empty hands with no restraints. Allow them to sniff you over and investigate you. Give them every opportunity to break off, so don't corner them in a barn or stall.

like most animals horses need time to trust you, after a bit of petting and some treats you may be able to start touching them but you still need to be very careful if they are not into it best to walk away remember these are big strong animals and will kick or bite if scared or agitated. once you have some trust going and learn your touch is good they will be more than happy to let them touch you, i worked at a stable for awhile and had a gelded male who would still mount the mares who was more than happy to let me wash his penis and suck on it, even had the opportunity to mount a few females who were in heat,( just need to watch out they dont crush you against the wall) it was a wonderful time sadly the stable isnt around anymore i do miss those days.

Needs abit of time for them to get comfortable. But how to make sure they not gonna kick when you get close to horse cock? When i tried to touch they seemed really sensitive.
Not likely. Most horses are used to being handled if they've had sheath cleanings and bean removal. They may pull away at first but that goes for just about any contact if the horse doesn't know you. Maybe your hands were cold?

Back