How many dogs do you want to be with?

Just one, but the disparity of lifespans makes that impractical.
I've been with perhaps a dozen over the years, but for me it's more about the joy of the relationship.
Haven't been with even my first dog, but the joy of the relationship is the aspect I want to focus the most. Probably would live it with one dog at a time 👀

Just the ones that i have a bonded with - I see the sex mania driven comments above, but theres nothing compared to intimate lifelong companionship with tamed wolf. Its not a real possibility to do that with real wolf so wolf like dogs have to do it for me.

I'm usually a "one dog at a time" kind of a guy. However, I'm now strongly concidering bringing a new pup into my life once my current dog gets older. My main motivation on this is to avoid the large gap that happens when the dog that's in my life makes her transition into the afterlife and then shopping for a new pup and then having to wait for her to grow up to an appropriate age to have sex with. I don't mean to sound selfish, but I really need to have a continuous and loving relationship with dogs in my life. I find this so comforting and beneficial for me, as I have PTSD and anxiety. Plus, if there's an overlap where I can mate with 2 dogs, that would be heaven on earth.

I coincide with SaltyDog. One relationship at a time is more than enough, such special bonds are always best when lived in a couple :). but in my case, I would consider having a puppy also early in order to diminish the pain of loss of my beloved, aging mate :(
I had to give away my lab bitch to my ex-wife on break-up and It has been a real emotional pain for the loss of both at the same time... never again, if i can avoid it.

I'm usually a "one dog at a time" kind of a guy. However, I'm now strongly concidering bringing a new pup into my life once my current dog gets older. My main motivation on this is to avoid the large gap that happens when the dog that's in my life makes her transition into the afterlife and then shopping for a new pup and then having to wait for her to grow up to an appropriate age to have sex with. I don't mean to sound selfish, but I really need to have a continuous and loving relationship with dogs in my life. I find this so comforting and beneficial for me, as I have PTSD and anxiety. Plus, if there's an overlap where I can mate with 2 dogs, that would be heaven on earth.
Exactly how I feel, my anxiety as I consider that my mate may be passing within a few years. I live alone with her, and she is my main source of emotional support. I think if I were to just suddenly lose her and be without anyone, I would fall into a very bad place emotionally and mentally... that worries me. I feel like adopting a young dog would help, so that at least I'm not facing it completely alone, but at the same time I don't want things to change. Not that I can stop them... time will change things for me soon enough no matter what I do.

Been with too many, devoted and caring for them I still do, now, my main focus is my stallion and my Rottweiler male

Exactly how I feel, my anxiety as I consider that my mate may be passing within a few years. I live alone with her, and she is my main source of emotional support. I think if I were to just suddenly lose her and be without anyone, I would fall into a very bad place emotionally and mentally... that worries me. I feel like adopting a young dog would help, so that at least I'm not facing it completely alone, but at the same time I don't want things to change. Not that I can stop them... time will change things for me soon enough no matter what I do.
Wow, you said this so much better than I. My beautiful Yellow Lab (she's in my Avatar) passed away on Winter Solstice '22 and I began to feel my whole world spiral down sharply. I live alone too, so this was troubling for me. I wanted to wait for a while because I thought a break to get over the grief would do me some good... but oh no, that's not what was happening.

Now I've got a beautiful new pup in my life now and I feel so much better. She's just coming up on 12 weeks old, so we won't be able to consummate our relationship for a long time. And yet everything is just fine just having her here in my home. She brings me so much joy and happiness with her tail wags and all of the "lick me to death" kisses. It's so nice to have someone that is always so happy to see me as she greets me at the door when I come home from shopping/errands etc.

realistically, two so they keep each other company when i'm at work. i'm at three so that's surplus.
unrealistically, i'd like to have a sanctuary and take all the unwanted shelter dogs there. no dog deserves to grow old and wither away alone and forgotten...
I couldn’t agree with you more, they deserve to receive as much love as they give freely to most anyone.

Well I've only got one but ideally I think I'd like 2 or 3

If you mean over the course of my life, all of them

Last edited:
realistically, two so they keep each other company when i'm at work. i'm at three so that's surplus.
unrealistically, i'd like to have a sanctuary and take all the unwanted shelter dogs there. no dog deserves to grow old and wither away alone and forgotten...
No they don't..especially the ones that have had a happy home life indoors and owner has passed.. breaks my heart to think of them one's left in a shelter 😪

Back