Help! My male is both interested yet skittish at being handled, any advice?

onetwosix

Tourist
I am male and this is the first dog I have ever attempted anything with. I want to point out that I have read the guides on M/M (it's all about the knot etc) Right now all am I trying to do is see if I can help him reach orgasm by hand.

He is an 18 month-old unfixed male lab retriever I raised from a puppy. Over the last few months he has shown sexual interest, he will put his sheath in my hand, he will hump my leg, and he enjoys it if I grab his sheath and start jerking him (behind the knot, no rough handling of the exposed penis). He gets hard and thrusts in each of these cases.

Once he's hard, though, he becomes very skittish. Sometimes he will let me hold him again, and I'll get a good grip/pressure going behind his knot (which is inside the sheath still) and he likes it for a few seconds then pulls away and doesn't seem to like me touching him. Which is fine, I am not trying to force myself on him or anything. I'm just wondering if there is something I am doing wrong, as he initiates this contact very often, but basically once he's properly hard he gets iffy.

Note that he never ever growls, barks, or bites at me. He'll just shy away at a certain point and I leave it at that, and he's left with this big uncomfortable boners he spins around in circles over and licks at until it's gone. I usually just do treats-for-tricks with him to distract him till it's gone.

I'm wondering, is he too young? Am I doing something wrong? He seems very very into it until he gets proper hard. He'll hop on my arm and hump it powerfully but rarely will he hop up and hump again after the first bout.

I really want to help him out and get him to the point where he understands I can help him get what he's after. Has anyone had a dog who reacted to arousal this way?

Two things. The knot is not supposed to stay in the sheath. So while dogs are ok with a full knot in the sheath if you attempt to slide the sheath over the full knot, it will hurt. That might be one of the reasons he does not like that.

When mating happens the female dog keeps the penis inside with a ring muscle, once this pressure is relieved and the penis slides out, the sex is over. So when you let go of the knot it is a signal that you are done. Some dogs will quickly start to loose erection and during that time no longer want you touching them there.

Just in case:

Back