Help me choose my next pup please! 🫠

ZephyrZoo

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Hi guys and gals,

Considering my options for my next dog in the next few years. I've had mostly bully breeds and my last few dogs have been pitbull terriers. As much as I absolutely adore this breed they really make me work hard with regards to being difficult to train and having really strong willpowers. And a bit of a "fuck you" attitude when they see something more interesting than their owner. 🫠

I've decided to look for something different, something more with the temporament of a border collie but on the larger side, obviously large enough for all the naughty stuff. 🙂

My four legged +1 goes everywhere with me, home, work, friends houses etc and they're off-lead and outdoors (thanks to my line of work) the majority of the time. So it's super important that they respond well to training, are not aggressive or boisterous in nature and loyal.

Any suggestions? Also short haired breeds are a bonus.

Help me pls🙂

a leonberger seems to fit most of the "goes with me everywhere, off leash" criteria. they apparently imprint and are loyal to a point of not really needing a leash since they won't be even interested to go where you aren't. they are long-haired and xl size, so "a lot of outdoors" might be an issue. if your line of work constitutes a lot of walking too.

malinois is basically a border collie on steroids if you want something close to the latter but larger.

a gsd is always a solid choice for a breed you want to train for literally anything with. my George never wanted to leave my side without any training, but i got him when he was ten so chances are it was just gratitude/feeling safe after all he went through.

with proper socialization (which can be done by simply taking him everywhere) a rottie might be also a good choice. they're super sweet and are that kind of loyal they'd totally try to stop that train coming for you.

greater swiss mountain dogs (ie: not bernese) are also fairly laid back. i knew one who belonged to an old lady and you could see him being easily able to just drag her around if he wanted, but he didn't. i doubt she really trained any obedience with him (like he didn't know "sit" etc), he was just very chill by nature. she took him everywhere with her. used to visit my mother with him and just chill under the table while they had their totally not four hours long cup of coffee and chitchat.

a leonberger seems to fit most of the "goes with me everywhere, off leash" criteria. they apparently imprint and are loyal to a point of not really needing a leash since they won't be even interested to go where you aren't. they are long-haired and xl size, so "a lot of outdoors" might be an issue. if your line of work constitutes a lot of walking too.

malinois is basically a border collie on steroids if you want something close to the latter but larger.

a gsd is always a solid choice for a breed you want to train for literally anything with. my George never wanted to leave my side without any training, but i got him when he was ten so chances are it was just gratitude/feeling safe after all he went through.

with proper socialization (which can be done by simply taking him everywhere) a rottie might be also a good choice. they're super sweet and are that kind of loyal they'd totally try to stop that train coming for you.

greater swiss mountain dogs (ie: not bernese) are also fairly laid back. i knew one who belonged to an old lady and you could see him being easily able to just drag her around if he wanted, but he didn't. i doubt she really trained any obedience with him (like he didn't know "sit" etc), he was just very chill by nature. she took him everywhere with her. used to visit my mother with him and just chill under the table while they had their totally not four hours long cup of coffee and chitchat.
Wow, this is great advice and info, thank you. I'm thinking something along the shepard lines at the moment. Leonbergers, Newfoundland and Bernard's are such beautiful animals but I think their XL size and furriness could be a lot to get used to. But a malinois could be great, I will consider that, thank you.🙂

What about a doberman
That's also one of my favourite breeds, never had one though. I speak from a place of no personal experience but the dobermans I've seen have been skinny and athletic looking, almost more like a whippet than anything. I'm more into the muscly, broad shouldered breeds. But I'll keep dobies as a contender too! And I'll do a but more research. Thanks🙂

Cane coso might be what you are looking for
Oh I certainly wouldn't mind! But I work outdoors and a lot of the time it's with other people. My dogs are almost always nearby and off-lead if they're well behaved. As much as I absolutely would adore a Cane Corso it would scare people I work with and negatively affect my business😬 I'm already experiencing the same to a certain degree with my pitties. Although she wears a purple Jersey most of the time which make her look a lot friendlier.

Wow I'm in a pickle🥲

Oh I certainly wouldn't mind! But I work outdoors and a lot of the time it's with other people. My dogs are almost always nearby and off-lead if they're well behaved. As much as I absolutely would adore a Cane Corso it would scare people I work with and negatively affect my business😬 I'm already experiencing the same to a certain degree with my pitties. Although she wears a purple Jersey most of the time which make her look a lot friendlier.

Wow I'm in a pickle🥲
Damn you really are

Hi guys and gals,

Considering my options for my next dog in the next few years. I've had mostly bully breeds and my last few dogs have been pitbull terriers. As much as I absolutely adore this breed they really make me work hard with regards to being difficult to train and having really strong willpowers. And a bit of a "fuck you" attitude when they see something more interesting than their owner. 🫠

I've decided to look for something different, something more with the temporament of a border collie but on the larger side, obviously large enough for all the naughty stuff. 🙂

My four legged +1 goes everywhere with me, home, work, friends houses etc and they're off-lead and outdoors (thanks to my line of work) the majority of the time. So it's super important that they respond well to training, are not aggressive or boisterous in nature and loyal.

Any suggestions? Also short haired breeds are a bonus.

Help me pls🙂
Chuwahwha😍 Sex part aside! It will be more cute when that little guy trying his best to knot inside you and kissing/licking you with his Little tounge!

I love the idea of a Belgian Malinois but not sure if a female will be big enough.
Mine is. I'm an average size dude and I never had a problem. She was even spayed.
Just a warning tho a Belgium Malinois is NOT for a novice dog owner. They are incredibly smart, will take advantage of every opportunity to piss you off and if they can get away with it they will walk all over you.
They are however fiercely loyal, highly trainable for complex tasks and one hell of a ride or die dog.
My Mali girl was an absolute terror when I first got her, had no idea what kinda dog she was or how to take care of her but I learned quick. She needed constant attention and she needed to be given a job to keep her busy otherwise she would have destroyed my house.
Once she was decently well trained I was able to leave her at home alone without being in a kennel, we could go in public without issue and I swear to God she would follow me into the depths of hell to face Satan himself and I wouldn't even have to ask her.
Now days being 16 years old she is quite docile and doesn't have nearly the energy she used too but she is still going strong.

Mine is. I'm an average size dude and I never had a problem. She was even spayed.
Just a warning tho a Belgium Malinois is NOT for a novice dog owner. They are incredibly smart, will take advantage of every opportunity to piss you off and if they can get away with it they will walk all over you.
Thanks for the insight! I've thought about it a few times but everyone says the same so I think I'll pass. They're beautiful dogs, I'd love one one day but at this stage of my life I don't have the time to give them the exercise, training and mental stimulation that I know they need.
They are however fiercely loyal, highly trainable for complex tasks and one hell of a ride or die dog.
My Mali girl was an absolute terror when I first got her, had no idea what kinda dog she was or how to take care of her but I learned quick. She needed constant attention and she needed to be given a job to keep her busy otherwise she would have destroyed my house.
Once she was decently well trained I was able to leave her at home alone without being in a kennel, we could go in public without issue and I swear to God she would follow me into the depths of hell to face Satan himself and I wouldn't even have to ask her.
Now days being 16 years old she is quite docile and doesn't have nearly the energy she used too but she is still going strong.
Your lady sounds awesome, those traits aren't found in just any dog. I love my Pittie girl to death, she's my absolute everything. She's actually an amazing companion, besides her puppy days she hasn't given me any uphill, is attached to me at the hip and ready to jump into whatever activity is at hand. Unfortunately our four-legged counterparts don't live as long as we do so when the time comes to open the next chapter I want to make sure I've thought it through properly.

Thanks for the insight! I've thought about it a few times but everyone says the same so I think I'll pass. They're beautiful dogs, I'd love one one day but at this stage of my life I don't have the time to give them the exercise, training and mental stimulation that I know they need.

Your lady sounds awesome, those traits aren't found in just any dog. I love my Pittie girl to death, she's my absolute everything. She's actually an amazing companion, besides her puppy days she hasn't given me any uphill, is attached to me at the hip and ready to jump into whatever activity is at hand. Unfortunately our four-legged counterparts don't live as long as we do so when the time comes to open the next chapter I want to make sure I've thought it through properly.

I'll have another for sure one day. They are absolutely insane dogs but if you can handle them they are well worth the effort.
It was a trip when I found out what breed she was. Was doing some research and I found a video of a Mal bolt across a parking lot, hurdle a parked car and ripping a guy out the drivers window of a moving van and I just thought "Holy fuck, what did I bring in my house?!"

Thank you, she is the best dog ever and I love her to death.
I've seen and heard you talk about your girl on the forum and she looks and sounds absolutely delightful. You're a lucky guy.
Indeed, which is unfortunate. You get attached so quick and it's hard to let them go.

Regardless I wish you good luck with your decision.

I'll have another for sure one day. They are absolutely insane dogs but if you can handle them they are well worth the effort.
It was a trip when I found out what breed she was. Was doing some research and I found a video of a Mal bolt across a parking lot, hurdle a parked car and ripping a guy out the drivers window of a moving van and I just thought "Holy fuck, what did I bring in my house?!"
Haha yea, they seem like incredible animals but definitely hard work, more than I can handle at the moment.🤣 Would not want to be on the receiving end of a pissed off Mally. I've seen them jump up walls and into windows of 2nd story buildings on YouTube.
Thank you, she is the best dog ever and I love her to death.
I've seen and heard you talk about your girl on the forum and she looks and sounds absolutely delightful. You're a lucky guy.
Thanks, she's beyond the best.
Regardless I wish you good luck with your decision.
Thank you, still a long way away hopefully but I think I've made up my mind.🙂

I took my first knot at 16 and have had 7 dogs over the years. Mostly shepherd/labs - nice size, nice temperament and very trainable. The variants were a boxer (the family dog that found me at 16) and a shep/rottie. Each one had a different personality and a different attitude towards having sex - but they all like it and kept coming back for more. If you have the space, I would recommend this mix. You also tend to avoid all the purebred issues and get a very interesting dog. I am thinking of a rottie/shep again in a couple of months time. My last feller (golden retriever) died about three months ago. Good luck with your search and I would love to hear what you eventually choose and how it goes.

I took my first knot at 16 and have had 7 dogs over the years. Mostly shepherd/labs - nice size, nice temperament and very trainable. The variants were a boxer (the family dog that found me at 16) and a shep/rottie. Each one had a different personality and a different attitude towards having sex - but they all like it and kept coming back for more. If you have the space, I would recommend this mix. You also tend to avoid all the purebred issues and get a very interesting dog. I am thinking of a rottie/shep again in a couple of months time. My last feller (golden retriever) died about three months ago. Good luck with your search and I would love to hear what you eventually choose and how it goes.
Hey bud, thanks! I took my first knot when I was much younger🤣 I love mixed breeds, they almost always have the best personalities. I think I've made up my mind. A friend of mine has a black boerbul and I've fallen in love with the breed. I think that's my choice. View attachment 508272View attachment 508273

Back