General Homesteading thread

Guess that means I have little or no self-respect, then...

So far as my taste buds are concerned, tea is tea, whether it's Lipton in a bag, instant, or the mondo-bucks froo-froo stuff - It's all gonna end up the same: Brewed/mixed to triple-strength half a gallon at a time, then dumped into a gallon jar with 2 cups of sugar while hot, then the jar filled with ice until it's good and cold, and the jar is full.

(Lemon *EXTREMELY* optional - and an abomination by my lights)
2 cups of sugar? … tell me you are from the south without telling me 🤣🤣
bless your heart

Yep. And anything "tea-like" that isn't made using that plant is actually Tisane, no matter what it tastes like. Just a little trivia that you bumped loose, so I had to spit it out :)
what if I am brewing corn? Is that Tisane or I that still kitchen shine?

Guess that means I have little or no self-respect, then...

So far as my taste buds are concerned, tea is tea, whether it's Lipton in a bag, instant, or the mondo-bucks froo-froo stuff - It's all gonna end up the same: Brewed/mixed to triple-strength half a gallon at a time, then dumped into a gallon jar with 2 cups of sugar while hot, then the jar filled with ice until it's good and cold, and the jar is full.

(Lemon *EXTREMELY* optional - and an abomination by my lights)
That’s just your age talking. Or you haven’t been down the concourse side of things.

You would get a kick out of fox trot herbal then. Crystalized ginger should be another addition to your tool belt as well. Grows in pots well and sugar is cheap.
Here is your daily laugh. i planted some two years ago. Thought it was a weed that came up because it was so tall and bushy I just left it for beauty. When I cleaned up the balcony he pot was all disformed, had to cut it open and Woah tons of ginger. Then naivety kicked in, holy shit this is when ginger ale comes from? 🤦🏼‍♀️ Still so much to learn.

Here is your daily laugh. i planted some two years ago. Thought it was a weed that came up because it was so tall and bushy I just left it for beauty. When I cleaned up the balcony he pot was all disformed, had to cut it open and Woah tons of ginger. Then naivety kicked in, holy shit this is when ginger ale comes from? 🤦🏼‍♀️ Still so much to learn.
Even better when you turn it into beer. Or one of my stomach syrups of ginger and sassafras . Don’t have much of that growing around here but the root is easy to get. Turmeric is easy to grow as well and is in the same family as ginger. Similar properties with the benefit of extra blood flow and inflammation reduction. I’m sure you’re familiar with cramps and stomach upset, mix all three in a tincture and you have a good amber bottle full of GI aid right there.

Even better when you turn it into beer. Or one of my stomach syrups of ginger and sassafras . Don’t have much of that growing around here but the root is easy to get. Turmeric is easy to grow as well and is in the same family as ginger. Similar properties with the benefit of extra blood flow and inflammation reduction. I’m sure you’re familiar with cramps and stomach upset, mix all three in a tincture and you have a good amber bottle full of GI aid right there.
Hey if it helps with cramps I am so up for trying it

Rendered three pounds of pork fat today. Ended up with half a quart cracklings, and 3/4 quart of lard. Building a slaughterhouse and hog pen this year. Adding another four acres to the fields. And a cow. Now we will produce venison from hunting, pork, lamb and beef from our own land. Looking at a particular breed of quail, and of course our free range chickens give us eggs and the occasional rooster or tired hen.

Attachments

• F4D7DF7D-F9DC-4045-A67D-9D01A1D56347.jpeg
    F4D7DF7D-F9DC-4045-A67D-9D01A1D56347.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 4A984E95-D085-4A87-8198-71600A595CAC.jpeg
    4A984E95-D085-4A87-8198-71600A595CAC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 7926C5EE-352A-4B13-94D8-C620381714FF.jpeg
    7926C5EE-352A-4B13-94D8-C620381714FF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • E5692994-5EDD-4350-9212-D3B81DB47BF0.jpeg
    E5692994-5EDD-4350-9212-D3B81DB47BF0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Rendered three pounds of pork fat today. Ended up with half a quart cracklings, and 3/4 quart of lard. Building a slaughterhouse and hog pen this year. Adding another four acres to the fields. And a cow. Now we will produce venison from hunting, pork, lamb and beef from our own land. Looking at a particular breed of quail, and of course our free range chickens give us eggs and the occasional rooster or tired hen.
This is the life I want!

I want to get some them trees growing here too (Sassafras)

LMFAO!!!

DONT IT THOUGH?!?!?
Not really here it is too cold to bitch, well other than when you step in a puddle of liquid air! that all ways pisses me off wet boots. (-60c it peaked out once, average is -30c, this been a great mild winter this year!)

BTY Bones + wood chipper? I keep asking the sales guy and all that seems to happen is a strange car follows me for a few weeks.

I'm not aiming for bone meal (Well at least not yet) but I need a better method of dealing with bones, ideally when mildly fresh.

I want to get some them trees growing here too (Sassafras)
There was a fellow did a vid on YouTube a couple-four months back about making *REAL* root-beer from scratch - As in, go out and harvest the sassy himself. Left me going "HUH?!?!?!?" 'cause he went out in the puckeys and started snatching these itty-bitty weeds that looked *A LITTLE* like what I'd call "sickly" Wintergreen, and claimed they were sassafras - Which left me boggled... All my life, I've been under the impression that Sassy is extracted from a TREE, not a little 3-inch-high (if they were even that big) thing that looked like a dying wintergreen plant.

There was a fellow did a vid on YouTube a couple-four months back about making *REAL* root-beer from scratch - As in, go out and harvest the sassy himself. Left me going "HUH?!?!?!?" 'cause he went out in the puckers and started snatching these itty-bitty weeds that looked *A LITTLE* like what I'd call "sickly" Wintergreen, and claimed they were sassafras - Which left me boggled... All my life, I've been under the impression that Sassy is extracted from a TREE, not a little 3-inch-high (if they were even that big) thing that looked like a dying wintergreen plant.
That's because you're correct, from the root, as to what layer has the most is sketchy been a long while

There was a fellow did a vid on YouTube a couple-four months back about making *REAL* root-beer from scratch - As in, go out and harvest the sassy himself. Left me going "HUH?!?!?!?" 'cause he went out in the puckeys and started snatching these itty-bitty weeds that looked *A LITTLE* like what I'd call "sickly" Wintergreen, and claimed they were sassafras - Which left me boggled... All my life, I've been under the impression that Sassy is extracted from a TREE, not a little 3-inch-high (if they were even that big) thing that looked like a dying wintergreen plant.
I just went and looked up because I have a tree next to my apartment. But it appears the roots cause cancer so they no longer use it to make root beer

Back