General Homesteading thread

Yeah, my thought was fuck it, worst case scenario I kill em, second worst case is I have to bonsai them in the living room with 10 foot ceilings and set up a wet bar over there, I love my screwdrivers and dirty gin and tonics after all.
1 cup lemon juice, 2 cans sweetened condensed milk. Stir together (fast!). Pour into pie shell, fridge overnight - lemonade pie

also limoncello

My dad and I used to talk about what we’d do on our property if we had to go off grid. We got about 180 acres of mountains and valleys out here. Got a decent fresh water st going through most of the property. It’s got minnows, frogs, and crawdads. Got plenty of woods for lumber. He thought about digging out an area in one of the valleys and putting in a pond to fill with fish someday. He got a decent area for gardening that I try to plant a few things in each season. We’d be pretty set if we had a bunch of chickens. I’ve never seen any coyotes out here or any predators and I’ve walked our property countless times over the years. We could definitely use some solar panels or generators out here though. Power sometimes goes out for a couple days if we get a bad storm. My dad has a small solar panel he rigged up to the four wheeler though. But if shtf we’d be screwed on fuel.

My dad and I used to talk about what we’d do on our property if we had to go off grid. We got about 180 acres of mountains and valleys out here. Got a decent fresh water st going through most of the property. It’s got minnows, frogs, and crawdads. Got plenty of woods for lumber. He thought about digging out an area in one of the valleys and putting in a pond to fill with fish someday. He got a decent area for gardening that I try to plant a few things in each season. We’d be pretty set if we had a bunch of chickens. I’ve never seen any coyotes out here or any predators and I’ve walked our property countless times over the years. We could definitely use some solar panels or generators out here though. Power sometimes goes out for a couple days if we get a bad storm. My dad has a small solar panel he rigged up to the four wheeler though. But if shtf we’d be screwed on fuel.
Primary solar, augmentation, wind / hydro, back up and occasional battery peaking Diesel Generator, you can make fuel from properly rendered fats (Oil that doesn't harden and been cleaned by boiling in water then dried by filtering through dried sawdust)

Battery options:

Lead acid, not the most efficient (takes 120% more energy to recharge) but very sturdy and take abuse with grace, forklift battery with single point watering system is best option add on cell balancers maximize life and performance

Lithium, Very efficient fast charge, really maximizes the solar arrays potential, con: More sensitive to charging voltages (Needs tight regulation) Will not tolerate abuse, temp, voltage, when they do fail tends to be firey.

Nickle Iron, even worse charge efficiency than lead acid, thirsty (they consume a lot of distilled water,), wide voltage span between full and discharged, but dam well near indestructible, electrolyte needs to be regenerated over time, can be done by user with sufficient knowledge and some basic tooling (Mostly a way to heat the ever loving shit out of the dehydrated electrolyte.

Batteries are still the one largest cost of a system, second is a quality charge controller, third is the inverter providing you get a mission critical level of quality one, but honestly even the china units are getting fairly good if you get one of the middle range ones.

Thing that will save you on battery is if you have good wind, or even better reliable hydro, you either need good drop in height of volume, got either of those you're set.

Family plants and harvest beans , corn , sunflower, tobacco etc but as for vegetables , there's enough space if needed on the farm but I have other tasks to attend to .

I know that there's long-standing advice to plant corn and beans together so that the beans can climb up the corn, but who's the third sister? Squash?
Supposedly the thorns on squash keep corn worms away. And the three use different nutrients so they do not deplete the soil. But everything I read, it is nominal benefits

Supposedly the thorns on squash keep corn worms away. And the three use different nutrients so they do not deplete the soil. But everything I read, it is nominal benefits
Re: deterring the worms, which I'm familiar with by the name "corn borers" - Sounds reasonably good in theory, but since the moth they turn into lays its eggs directly on the silk of the new cobs, I doubt there's much benefit from the squash-stickers. The beans make good sense, though - they're nitrogen fixers, and corn is ungodly nitrogen-hungry, so I can't see any way the idea could hurt at all. Just went looking for "three sisters planting", and the one I clicked on from the results seems to be saying that the squash primarily intended to be a shade/cover crop to help with soil water retention, and as a bonus, produces useful fruits. Makes sense - if they don't do the "daily wilt" thing that I've seen being pretty much the norm here in this area - On the hot, sunny days, between about 3 and 6PM, give or take an hour, unless we run the sprinkler on 'em, squash and pumpkins wilt so bad it looks like somebody came through with a flamethrower and "lightly toasted" them. After about 6 or so, when the heat of the day has passed, they start to come back, and by morning, they're good as new, but then about 203, they start wilting again. First time I saw it for myself, I was sure the entire crop was dead, the wilt was so bad.

Re: deterring the worms, which I'm familiar with by the name "corn borers" - Sounds reasonably good in theory, but since the moth they turn into lays its eggs directly on the silk of the new cobs, I doubt there's much benefit from the squash-stickers. The beans make good sense, though - they're nitrogen fixers, and corn is ungodly nitrogen-hungry, so I can't see any way the idea could hurt at all. Just went looking for "three sisters planting", and the one I clicked on from the results seems to be saying that the squash primarily intended to be a shade/cover crop to help with soil water retention, and as a bonus, produces useful fruits. Makes sense - if they don't do the "daily wilt" thing that I've seen being pretty much the norm here in this area - On the hot, sunny days, between about 3 and 6PM, give or take an hour, unless we run the sprinkler on 'em, squash and pumpkins wilt so bad it looks like somebody came through with a flamethrower and "lightly toasted" them. After about 6 or so, when the heat of the day has passed, they start to come back, and by morning, they're good as new, but then about 203, they start wilting again. First time I saw it for myself, I was sure the entire crop was dead, the wilt was so bad.
two other good combo I have been reading is tomatoes carrots and basil.
Peppers, peanuts and okra

two other good combo I have been reading is tomatoes carrots and basil.

I wonder if the idea is the basli acting as anti-bug for the tomatoes and carrots?

Peppers, peanuts and okra
That combo is impossible here - Not enough growing season for peanuts to even get 'em to start to set, and I'm told that Okra is nearly impossible to get to ripen in this area 'cause it's not hot enough for long enough to trigger the process.

I wonder if the idea is the basli acting as anti-bug for the tomatoes and carrots?

That combo is impossible here - Not enough growing season for peanuts to even get 'em to start to set, and I'm told that Okra is nearly impossible to get to ripen in this area 'cause it's not hot enough for long enough to trigger the process.
Carrots are sacrificiAl. They attract the hornworms, making easy to detect them. Sometimes you get some carrots if you stay on top of it, basil attracts ladybugs to eat aphids off the tomatoes. And the scent throws of leaf footed bugs

I know that there's long-standing advice to plant corn and beans together so that the beans can climb up the corn, but who's the third sister? Squash?
Last I heard it was melons of a sort. Or squash I believe. I don’t remember but it probably be a beneficial party I’m sure.

Back