Fleas

Jessicasub

Tourist
I'm clean, my house is clean, I shower every night, but I get up in the morning and have fleas on me. In my hair, top and bottom... I mean, I obviously have close contact with my guys, and that's why they end up on me.
I've been exterminated, but still fleas. Yes they have drops. I've treated their sleeping area and bedding and washed.
Still, I have fleas between my legs and in my boobs
Grrrr

Sounds bad!
Some of the basics seem to do it for me, thought you might already be doing them.

Give them regular baths, flea comb, "flea repelling plants", flea drops, which you're already doing.

I had a giant flea problem for awhile. They were terrorizing my dogs and also biting me at night. What finally got rid of those suckers was two things. 1) Flea drops. But also 2) Sentry Home Flea Spray. Basically this flea spray comes in a regular spray bottle. I vacuumed the house from top to bottom, sprayed the flea spray on every inch/centimeter of the carpet, and on all of the furniture. Once I did that I didn't vacuum the house for a week, but afterwards vacuumed regularly. It took about 1.5-2 months, but it did end up resolving my flea problem. I can't say if this is the end all solution to the problem but it worked well for me.

I too have had fantastc results with the Vectra 3D. Years of time in the woods and hills, never a flea or tic on my two after switching to that. I'm also a fan of their applicator. It is easily available from places other than the vet also.

Double check on the packet that the drops are actually 3 monthly, we had a flea problem with our former cats, the vet said every 3 months but the drops were actually monthly and only effective for 4-5 weeks.
Also if your vet is giving you Frontline drops I would switch as they're pretty crap. I use Beaphar FIPROtec drops every 5 weeks in summer and every couple of months in winter and never had an issue.

I'm doing all that. There must be one area where there's an infestation, that I'm not finding
Where do THEY SLEEP? You need to pay special attention to that area....if they sleep on your bed you're going to have to change the bedding every day.
Don't buy into those ''green'' ''eco-friendly'' or ''essential oil'' flea drops. You want the fleas to die. Your dog won't get sick or anything.
They also wont work, in a lot of areas of the US.

Reposted from another Section: And yes its long...But if you want your little insect friends gone, read and pay attention. I know what Im talking about. I was a pro for many years.

Its going to depend greatly on where you live, and the length of the flea season in the vicinity. If you get much rain....over half an inch a year is what I mean, you will have ZERO luck outdoors with Diatomaceous earth. It will sink below the level where it is available to work on a flea. Diatoms can work indoors up to a point, by dusting carpets. But youd better be able to tolerate being bitten after you put all the other repellents on your dogs. Its also going to depend on the basics of flea biology. You did not mention it, and it is important, so it appears you know nothing about it.Fleas that bite dogs most commonly are cat fleas...and are usually CARRIED by squirrels. Fleas do not stay on a host for very long...they bite, lay an egg and split. The blood proteins are necessary for mama to create eggs. Flea eggs are sticky when first laid, but dry within a few hours and generally fall off the host. They tend, therefore, to gather most often where the host sleeps. Indoors, pet bedding and sleeping areas will be the hot spot. Washing the bedding in hot water will kill fleas in all their cycles...105 degrees is fatal for most insects, over time. Carpets can be shampooed with rental gear and HOT water as well.By the way...I wouldnt pay much attention to anything PETA has to say...to them, the poor little flea is just as important as the great big doggie or kitty...or YOU. Got a clue about the Life cycle, and why that makes fleas a problem? Here is the deal in a nutshell. Fleas go from an egg to a larva to a pupa to an adult
( complete metamorphosis) like some other insects. UNLIKE other insects, Fleas do NOT stop growing as adults. They may live two years, during which they will get better at biting undetected. They learn as they go. Thats important. It means that some will always survive. As an egg, the flea is immobile, but that lasts only a matter of days. They hatch to become a tiny, wormlike larva. You would likely not think of a flea looking at it...it looks like a skinny dustbunny. But they cruise around eating anything organic they can find...outdoors it could be crunched up leaves, dead bug body parts...almost anything... Indoors, anything that can be caught in the crack of flooring, or ground into a carpet will do...as long as its organic.... These larvae will try to stay below the level of Crush in a rug, or in a crevice between floorboards, anything to keep from being squashed. They will cruise around for as much as 90 days, until theyre ready for the next stage.The Pupal Stage is the problematic one. Dealing with this stage is either successful or you spend the rest of the season itching right along with your dog. When a Flea is ready to go from Larva to Pupa, they find a quiet area and start spinning a cocoon. It is waterproof, largely temperature proof and secure. In this stage they can go dormant for up to 9 months in some species. NOTHING you can spray or do to them shy of heat treating a carpet will touch them. If they get INTO that cocoon, they ARE coming OUT and biting. Once they are fully developed, they can be dormant for months...just sitting in the cocoons and waiting it out. And they WILL wait.

When they are triggered, they come out of the cocoon like a heatseeking missile, and they hit what they aim at. If it's a bitable hide, they bite...if not, they will crawl, usually upwards, until they find one. The juvenile fleas tend to be clumsy biters...they hurt...Really. The bites itch later, but they're painful first. The victim knows hes been bitten. The biter will then jump off the host, looking for a resting place, to digest the blood, and a mate. 94 percent of the hatched females will be mated withing 38 hours. They will never be far from the chosen host.Since they will lay as many as 40 eggs a day, the problem builds fast.

The simplest way to get rid of them is to call a pro. They know what they're doing. If you cant bring yourself to do that, or economics don't allow it, there are ways. But be aware...once you have an indoor infestation, it takes WORK to get them gone. Fleas are triggered into coming out of the cocoon by humidity, temperature, CO² in the air and vibration...These together signal the presence of a living target host. No three will trigger...it has to be all of the above. This, coupled with the impermeable nature of the cocoon, is why fleas are so hard to kill off. So...to solutions.

First....Do NOT use anything on your dog or cats skin you do not know to be safe. Dishwashing liquids are wetting agents...they remove oils from skin and hair. That cute baby duck on the label may have been a victim of an oil spill, but your dog isnt covered with petroleum. Almost any suitable shampoo will work to keep your dog clean.And you do want to do that; one of a larval flea's favorite foods its the half digested blood mama excreted as what is called flea dirt. Pure protein and semi digested...yum.
Next thing...buy a flea comb. it has a coarse tooth and a fine tooth side, but fleas cannot slip between those teeth. Sit on the floor with your dog between your legs and a bowl of warm soapy water alongside you. Comb the dog...and as you spot fleas on the comb, knock them off into the soapy water. They will drown, and Dawn is perfect for such things. The nice thing about this method, aside from its effectiveness, is that your dog is getting ALL your attention for awhile. Never seen one complain yet. Flush the little buggers down the john.

Lastly....Get your vac out...and vaccuum every horizontal surface you can find, paying special attention to the places your critter sleeps. When youve finished, empty the cup or dump the bag.....OUTSIDE....or you'll have to chase them all over again. You'll need to do this every day for a while...get used to it.
Whatever method you try, vaccuuming daily is going to be part of it.

If you have a carpet that can be taken outside and hung on a line, you can beat it with a tennis racket for a bit...HARD. I used to make a lot of spring pocket money that way as a kid. The beating literally springs the larva eggs cocoons and adults off into the world they belong in. The sun on the rug wont hurt, either...Remember....if you use diatomaceous earth, you'll have to reapply it every time you vac. That gets expensive. It CAN be useful on upholstered furniture, dusted into the crevices where the cushions sit.

And STOP eating on the furniture. All those snack food crumbs down the seat backs are food for fleas, and other nasties; spiders particularly enjoy the creatures you're feeding.

Yep...its long. But there is your SCIENCE, and there is your LEAST toxic method. There is no easy way. There are some more effective ways...but this is the easiest.

Last edited:
Double check on the packet that the drops are actually 3 monthly, we had a flea problem with our former cats, the vet said every 3 months but the drops were actually monthly and only effective for 4-5 weeks.
Also if your vet is giving you Frontline drops I would switch as they're pretty crap. I use Beaphar FIPROtec drops every 5 weeks in summer and very couple on months in winter and never had an issue.
The materials like frontline DO work, but....big BUT....fleas can become immune and or develop an aversion to a weak dose. Switch up the products from time to time. Advantix works, too.

There are drops to use on the neck of cats and dogs, but I haven’t heard about them made for humans. Although tempting to try the drops for the dogs, we don’t know if they will harm you. Fleas from the dog can’t breed on humans, but will bite for blood. So you have to get rid of them on and around the dogs as other writes here, and at the same time wash, wash, wash your bed lining and clothes, and if possible keep some distance to them, as you know, .fleas and lice move from body to body when close, sleeping with your dogs and the like. As a young man I got some lice because I often was ‘close to’ one of the big sows. I got rid of them just by removing them.
A tip - clothes you can’t hot wash, you can put ind a plastic bag and in the freezer for some days, that will kill the fleas.

There are drops to use on the neck of cats and dogs, but I haven’t heard about them made for humans. Although tempting to try the drops for the dogs, we don’t know if they will harm you. Fleas from the dog can’t breed on humans, but will bite for blood. So you have to get rid of them on and around the dogs as other writes here, and at the same time wash, wash, wash your bed lining and clothes, and if possible keep some distance to them, as you know, .fleas and lice move from body to body when close, sleeping with your dogs and the like. As a young man I got some lice because I often was ‘close to’ one of the big sows. I got rid of them just by removing them.
A tip - clothes you can’t hot wash, you can put ind a plastic bag and in the freezer for some days, that will kill the fleas.
Lice are not the same type of problem. They do not survive off a host. But no....Do not try to use a prep set up for animals on yourself. These things are toxic.
Something very aromatic, like cheap aftershave has a repellent quality that helps a lot. Rubbing alcohol watered down a little can work, but I always used Brut, or Hai Karate( dollar store items today).

Another issue is hyper allergenics. Some people will display what looks like ten bites for any one genuine bite....they will all itch and scab too. A doctor can give you more info.

One last Thing....are you sure its fleas, and not bedbugs?
I'm clean, my house is clean, I shower every night, but I get up in the morning and have fleas on me. In my hair, top and bottom... I mean, I obviously have close contact with my guys, and that's why they end up on me.
I've been exterminated, but still fleas. Yes they have drops. I've treated their sleeping area and bedding and washed.
Grrrr

One last Thing....are you sure its fleas, and not bedbugs? If the bites are random, fleas may be the issue, but if they are
( a: not in your hair
(b: in places like the backs of your hands on arms and around your neck
(c: any place that WONT be under your covers at the time youre deeply asleep

Theres a good possibility they're from bedbugs. Even seeing a fkea doesnt rule that out. If its that persistent a problem...call a pro.

Lice are not the same type of problem. They do not survive off a host. But no....Do not try to use a prep set up for animals on yourself. These things are toxic.
Something very aromatic, like cheap aftershave has a repellent quality that helps a lot. Rubbing alcohol watered down a little can work, but I always used Brut, or Hai Karate( dollar store items today).

Another issue is hyper allergenics. Some people will display what looks like ten bites for any one genuine bite....they will all itch and scab too. A doctor can give you more info.

Grrrr

One last Thing....are you sure its fleas, and not bedbugs? If the bites are random, fleas may be the issue, but if they are
( a: not in your hair
(b: in places like the backs of your hands on arms and around your neck
(c: any place that WONT be under your covers at the time youre deeply asleep

Theres a good possibility they're from bedbugs. Even seeing a flea doesnt rule that out. If its that persistent a problem...call a pro.

Last edited:
Fleas don't live on the animal, they just go there to feed. They live in your carpet, where they also lay eggs. Even if you kill all the live fleas the eggs are still there to hatch and come right back, same goes for any eggs laid on the animal. You need a persistent spray that will kill any new eggs that hatch. And unless you employ a bug bomb or professional fumigator will likely need to apply it multiple times over months as the eggs could have easily been laid in nooks and cranies or under funiture where your spray didn't cover. The eggs you didn't reach will hatch, hopefully move into an area you can spray where any new eggs lay will be taken care of by your next spraying.

Fleas don't live on the animal, they just go there to feed. They live in your carpet, where they also lay eggs. Even if you kill all the live fleas the eggs are still there to hatch and come right back, same goes for any eggs laid on the animal. You need a persistent spray that will kill any new eggs that hatch. And unless you employ a bug bomb or professional fumigator will likely need to apply it multiple times over months as the eggs could have easily been laid in nooks and cranies or under funiture where your spray didn't cover. The eggs you didn't reach will hatch, hopefully move into an area you can spray where any new eggs lay will be taken care of by your next spraying.

Grrrr
Yes...that is the problem...that happens to me often...
Maybe also they catch fleas from some other anumals if they were in close contact...

Most of the veterinary products either kill adult fleas when they bite, thus ending their life cycle, or interfere with their reproductive/development cycle, effectively sterilizing them. That means the fleas on the pets will die or stop laying productive new eggs, but the existing eggs in the household will still be there. As the old eggs hatch, the treated pets will collect the new fleas and either kill them or sterilize them, preventing them from laying new eggs. The basic idea is that you have to treat ALL the pets in the house until ALL the existing eggs have hatched, which as Saddlebum said, is 6-9 months. Depending what product you're using and how many eggs are in the environment, you could still be seeing fleas for several weeks even if you're doing it right.

So a few basic questions;
First, Have you spoken to your vet about it? You should ensure you're applying it properly (technique, frequency, etc). Perhaps consider changing for an oral product if that's easier, or combining products that have different mechanisms of action if you're in an area with a really high pressure for infestation.
Second, are ALL the animals in your house properly treated for fleas? if not, the untreated ones might be maintaining the infestation. Make sure you use appropriate products (permethrins are toxic to cats, some of the sprays are toxic to fish if they're in the room, etc etc)
Lastly, how long have you been treating your pets? It can take several weeks to months before the number of adult fleas drops to 0. Especially if you're using something that sterilizes them without killing them.

Fleas are spread from critter to critter, but usually only because one critter walks thru an infested area. Read my post. I didnt write it because I dont know what Im talking about

I used NexGard and I use bifenthrin in granular and liquid applications. cyzmic cs works wonders as well outside if you got a good application method. Can last for 3 weeks or so depending on rain. Had a very BIG problem with seed ticks. Not anymore.

If they're in your carpet (if you have carpet) then you're better off throwing it out. My dad's cat hat fleas. They were in the carpet in the living room, the carpet on the stairs, my bedroom. It was a plague. We had to get rid of it all. What flea drops do you use? I've always used Vectra 3D with Rex. never had fleas or tics
Not "if" - If your critters have fleas, you DO have flea eggs and/or larvae in your carpets. And in the seams of your couch cushions, and in your bedding, (and the critters' bedding) and in every crack and crevice you can imagine, and some you can't. Two ways I know of to "cure" the problem:

Option 1: Hire *A COURSE OF* exterminations - Usually either 4 or 5 over the course of about 6 weeks, give or take. After the first treatment, depending on exactly what gets used, you'll be flea-free for anywhere from a few days to roughly 2-3 weeks before you notice new adults are swarming over everything. This is because aside from live steam, NOTHING that won't fuck you (and your critter(s)) up just as bad as it does the fleas can do diddly-squat about the eggs that are guaranteed to be in and under your carpets, and only certain stuff gets the larvae that I guarantee are present in every bit of horizontal fabric (and some vertical) in the house. Basically, you have to fight 'em in "waves" - nuke the place to kill off the adults, wait for the development period so that any active larvae turn into adults, nuke it again before the adults have time to lay eggs, nuke a third time after the maximum incubation time for the eggs, then nuke again a week or so later to catch any stragglers that may have survived this long, with a "possible 5th nuke" after a final inspection about 10 days after that.

Option 2: Seal the building, and go on about a 6-8 week vacation. When you get back, they SHOULD all be dead of starvation.

Not "if" - If your critters have fleas, you DO have flea eggs and/or larvae in your carpets. And in the seams of your couch cushions, and in your bedding, (and the critters' bedding) and in every crack and crevice you can imagine, and some you can't. Two ways I know of to "cure" the problem:

Option 1: Hire *A COURSE OF* exterminations - Usually either 4 or 5 over the course of about 6 weeks, give or take. After the first treatment, depending on exactly what gets used, you'll be flea-free for anywhere from a few days to roughly 2-3 weeks before you notice new adults are swarming over everything. This is because aside from live steam, NOTHING that won't fuck you (and your critter(s)) up just as bad as it does the fleas can do diddly-squat about the eggs that are guaranteed to be in and under your carpets, and only certain stuff gets the larvae that I guarantee are present in every bit of horizontal fabric (and some vertical) in the house. Basically, you have to fight 'em in "waves" - nuke the place to kill off the adults, wait for the development period so that any active larvae turn into adults, nuke it again before the adults have time to lay eggs, nuke a third time after the maximum incubation time for the eggs, then nuke again a week or so later to catch any stragglers that may have survived this long, with a "possible 5th nuke" after a final inspection about 10 days after that.

Option 2: Seal the building, and go on about a 6-8 week vacation. When you get back, they SHOULD all be dead of starvation.
You could heat the house as well if you wanted. Same way with bed bugs. Good old Portable Oil & Kerosene Torpedo Heater. Plastic line the windows and what not and let her rip.

Most of the veterinary products either kill adult fleas when they bite, thus ending their life cycle, or interfere with their reproductive/development cycle, effectively sterilizing them. That means the fleas on the pets will die or stop laying productive new eggs, but the existing eggs in the household will still be there. As the old eggs hatch, the treated pets will collect the new fleas and either kill them or sterilize them, preventing them from laying new eggs. The basic idea is that you have to treat ALL the pets in the house until ALL the existing eggs have hatched, which as Saddlebum said, is 6-9 months. Depending what product you're using and how many eggs are in the environment, you could still be seeing fleas for several weeks even if you're doing it right.

So a few basic questions;
First, Have you spoken to your vet about it? You should ensure you're applying it properly (technique, frequency, etc). Perhaps consider changing for an oral product if that's easier, or combining products that have different mechanisms of action if you're in an area with a really high pressure for infestation.
Second, are ALL the animals in your house properly treated for fleas? if not, the untreated ones might be maintaining the infestation. Make sure you use appropriate products (permethrins are toxic to cats, some of the sprays are toxic to fish if they're in the room, etc etc)
Lastly, how long have you been treating your pets? It can take several weeks to months before the number of adult fleas drops to 0. Especially if you're using something that sterilizes them without killing them.
My vet supplies an oral product (gotta get the name at some point) but it works AMAZING. I trained Bear to let me handle his muzzle and easily pop pills and stuff down his throat, and he's fine with it because he'll then get a good treat like a bit of egg or a few doggie biscuits. Then I just keep the cleaning regiment up for a few days and he's flea-free for the rest of the season. Then again our flea season lasts so short around here.

No they wont...They'll be sitting in coocoons waiting...for temp, vibration, humidity, and C02 In cooperation. And then like a sidewinder, theyre little heat seeking missiles. Larval fleas eat anything organic. You'll never starve them out.
They will be IN the carpet, not under it.
My vet supplies an oral product (gotta get the name at some point) but it works AMAZING. I trained Bear to let me handle his muzzle and easily pop pills and stuff down his throat, and he's fine with it because he'll then get a good treat like a bit of egg or a few doggie biscuits. Then I just keep the cleaning regiment up for a few days and he's flea-free for the rest of the season. Then again our flea season lasts so short around here.
Thats your blessing, then.The traditional season is 90 days, but its very much driven by climate. High temp low humidity is good, damper, more humid is bad (for us). Hot and humid extends the season indefinitely

You could heat the house as well if you wanted. Same way with bed bugs. Good old Portable Oil & Kerosene Torpedo Heater. Plastic line the windows and what not and let her rip.
If I had such a heater, I would use it to get the household temperatures up above 105 farenheit. That will kill even the cocooned larva/pupa if the temp can be held for 24 hours. But the time is critical. Longer is better. But this does need close monitoring.

The bifenthrin and halothrin are both Hell on wheels for Bees....Outdoors I wouldnt use it at all around flowering plants or on lawns. Bees have enough problems. Fleas outdoors arent that much of a deal. Its not possible to prevent them from being in their natural environment.

For anyone who wants to try a bomb. two Things: the propellents are HIGHLY flammable, often propane, or butane. SHUT your pilot lights off for stove and waterheater if theyre gas.
Find a bomb that contains Methoprene or other IGR...read the label on EVERY insecticidal product ...but the IGR is critical. Zoetrope branded products are the likely ones available.

If I had such a heater, I would use it to get the household temperatures up above 105 farenheit. That will kill even the cocooned larva/pupa if the temp can be held for 24 hours. But the time is critical. Longer is better. But this does need close monitoring.

The bifenthrin and halothrin are both Hell on wheels for Bees....Outdoors I wouldnt use it at all around flowering plants or on lawns. Bees have enough problems. Fleas outdoors arent that much of a deal. Its not possible to prevent them from being in their natural environment.

For anyone who wants to try a bomb. two Things: the propellents are HIGHLY flammable, often propane, or butane. SHUT your pilot lights off for stove and waterheater if theyre gas.
Find a bomb that contains Methoprene or other IGR...read the label on EVERY insecticidal product ...but the IGR is critical. Zoetrope branded products are the likely ones available.
The flowering of most people plants by me is rather short and usually apply after. Granulated help with that a bit too. Used mavrik before, didn’t cut it. Needed them pin prick bastards gone yesterday. Picking them off isn’t fun

Inside, the stuff might work, but without an IGR, youre gonna get nowhere pretty fast. Do you dip the dogs?

No they wont...They'll be sitting in coocoons waiting...for temp, vibration, humidity, and C02 In cooperation. And then like a sidewinder, theyre little heat seeking missiles. Larval fleas eat anything organic. You'll never starve them out.
They will be IN the carpet, not under it.

Thats your blessing, then.The traditional season is 90 days, but its very much driven by climate. High temp low humidity is good, damper, more humid is bad (for us). Hot and humid extends the season indefinitely
The "wait in cocoons" phase is a new one on me. I was always given to believe that they pupate and pop out over the course of about 3-6 days, depending on temperature. As far as "in versus under" the carpet, that seems to be variable depending on the weave of the carpet backing cloth. Once did a carpet-tear-out in a house that had been heavily infested and the flea eggs (and to a lesser extent, larvae) were so thick in the crevices under the padding that it was hard to tell 'em from sand except that no sand I've ever seen had that particular coloration. 1/4 inch cracks half an inch deep *TOTALLY* filled with the damned things...

And yes, Methoprene/IGR is a vital component. "Peter Pan juice" is what one exterminator I played helper to for a while called it - Like Peter Pan and The Lost Boys, they never "grow up", so they never lay eggs, and you have a fighting chance to break the cycle. Combine it with something that kills the adults (pick your favorite/least scary bug-killer) and you can wipe an infestation pretty quick, but you're going to have to apply the killer AT LEAST twice, since there will invariably be pupae that the methoprene can't do anything about 'cause they're already through the stages it effects. A high enough dose of methoprene will stop the larvae from developing for several months, possibly years, leaving them to live out their lifespan without contributing to the egg supply, and since the larvae don't bite... <shrug> who cares (or even notices) if they're present?

Interesting....anything under the carpet wont get out from under it, unless there were great big rips in it. They can crawl, but their sense of direction is guided by heat. The carpet is going to complicate that quite a bit.

The cocoon strategy works for them, and it creates illusions that work for them as well. They can be in cocoons as long as 90 days in some species. If youve ever been on vacation and come back to a house full of fleas, they werent out until your foot hit the carpet. Theyll stay dormant until the triggers are present....C02, vibration, humidity at a certain percentage, and temperature at a certain point. All four together indicate a living breathing target. No target, no hatch. Worse, the new hatched fleas are young....they have no biting skills, so they hurt when they bite....older fleas learn how to bite without attracting much attention. Perfect little pest.

Last edited:
Back