Flea and tick medicine

shygirl

Zooville Settler
hello! i am looking for some advice. i just got a Rottie puppy and I want to use a flea and tick topical treatment. the problem is they all come packaged by weight, and he will grow so fast he won't stay in a particular weight class until he is mature. i am trying to figure out how to get just one tube of medicine for each weight class until his weight stabilizes. does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello @shygirl ,
My BEST advice is to say: Please go to a veterinarian that you trust, instead of trying to do this on your own. If you don't currently have a good vet, find a good vet. Reason I say this is because these meds are powerful and are only by Rx prescription. This is because the dangers of giving your Rottie the wrong dose can be horrible. Your profile says that you're in the southwest. Assuming this is in the USA, you should have no problems finding a good vet in your area. Plus, this is the perfect time to establish a good relationship with a vet and your dog so that the vet can monitor you dog as (s)he grows.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Yes, totally what Saltydog says.

With a pup you *need* a vet for vaccines, dewormibg and all, so once there, just ask and he'll toss you the right product.

There are non medicine products (ie: citronella collars and topic products) that are safe, but only "scare away" insects. More effective priducts, you need to know how the dog may react according to breed and age.

To answer your question, wirh mine, the first time it was according to his real weight at the time. Of course, it usually lasts for one month but it lasted maybe a couple of weeks because of the growth.

i will of course be taking him to the vet. he already had his first set of vaccinations and I will be taking him for his next set. i was trying to get the medicine before going to the appointment, since that is a few weeks off. i have always taken my pets to the vet and understand the importance.

i will of course be taking him to the vet. he already had his first set of vaccinations and I will be taking him for his next set. i was trying to get the medicine before going to the appointment, since that is a few weeks off. i have always taken my pets to the vet and understand the importance.
This is wonderful. I can see that your dog is in good, loving hands. Since you asked for advise, I'd like to ask: Do you see any indication of fleas on your dog at this time? If so, call your vet today. If not, then simply wait for your next, scheduled visit to your vet.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Ask your vet. All go by weight. You will progress to higher doses until he/she evens out after full grown. I don’t use tops anymore. Nex guard works well and will be switching to simparica trio later.
Congrats on the pup. I hope you know what you’re getting into.

My Vet prescribed a pill they chew or you can add to their food, it's called "Bravecto" and it last up to three moths. I've used it several times and it works great. You can also buy it online and save a few $$ once you know it works well for your dog.

Always talk to your vet, and watch weight when using a topical flea and tick prevention. But, there are plenty of places online where you can by one "dose" for a 1 month supply as growing dogs change weights fast. I have been using Vectra 3D for years and have had great results. Their applicator is also better than any other I have used.

See if your vet will prescribe Simparica Trio. I've had the best results with that and Credelio, although Simaprica also covers intestinal worms and acts as a heartworm preventative. Those two are in the same family of drugs

Ticks are the more worrisome issue since they can spread a number of nasty diseases. But it isnt impossible to control fleas and ticks without an internal medication. Short hairs, like a Rott, are relatively easy. Soapy water, in a bowl and a decent 99 cent flea comb work wonders. A light color is best. Run the comb over the dog as you would a brush. If youre picking up fleas and ticks, they will be apparent in the comb. knock or pick them off the comb into the soapy water....they will drown. Ticks take much longer to die, so when you're done, flush the bowl's contents down the john. This way, even the soap doesn't get on the dog.
The ear areas, the base of the tail, and the places that correspond to crotch and armpits are hot spots for fleas, ticks are likelier around the face, head and back of the neck and places the dog can't reach. The advantages to the method are the bonding time it gives with your critter, no toxicity, and expense = about 10 cents a throw. Try it. There are several tick tools available if the ticks are attatched. One looks like a little claw-hammer; the other looks like a tab top from a soda can. Directions for those are on the package.

👍
Being customer, they know your dog. If it is near they will likely sell you the dose over the counter. If it is far you may try a phone call for advice on the best product for your dog.

I have been using Vectra 3D for years and have had great results. T
Same here. When applied well works quite decently.

Most of those work....reasonably...but Im more than leery about applying toxicants internally to a pet. I wouldnt swallow these things; and Im not overly-trusting drug testing in our PETA world. Too many things that should be tested dont get tested, because the optics are politically incorrect. Try the soap....if it doesnt work, youre out a buck-ten.

Thank you for everybody for the great information. i am not as worried about the fleas as I am the ticks. i live in a desert environment and it is hard to believe ticks can make it living on gravel, but they do. hopefully it won't be a problem but i want to be prepared just in case.

Thank you for everybody for the great information. i am not as worried about the fleas as I am the ticks. i live in a desert environment and it is hard to believe ticks can make it living on gravel, but they do. hopefully it won't be a problem but i want to be prepared just in case.
The occasional ticks are relatively easy to find while petting your dog, and even to remove while doing it.

Problem is when there are *a lot* and removibg them will be more an standing test than a solution. Then, those products come handy

Do you know what species these ticks are? There are a couple of ways they can be reduced in a yard, depending on how they're vectored. Take one to your vet e
when you go. He should know.

Sorta off topic.. Once upon a time I had bought some garlic snacks. Somehow puffed up crunchy cloves of garlic...

My GSD found them and ate the whole damn container.

He had garlic breath for a week, and fleas and ticks wanted nothing to do with him.

He didn't seem to have any adverse reactions to it, although I never bought them again after that, worried that maybe he could have a reaction, and I am a bit confused as to why he would have found garlic to be tasty enough to have eaten the whole thing..

But damn the garlic breath!!! you could smell the garlic on him from feet away...

Sorta off topic.. Once upon a time I had bought some garlic snacks. Somehow puffed up crunchy cloves of garlic...

He had garlic breath for a week, and fleas and ticks wanted nothing to do with him.

He didn't seem to have any adverse reactions to it, although I never bought them again after that, worried that maybe he could have a reaction, and I am a bit confused as to why he would have found garlic to be tasty enough to have eaten the whole thing..

But damn the garlic breath!!! you could smell the garlic on him from feet away...
Garlic is a useful material; it has antibiotic, and insecticidal properties....if planted with vegetables it can keep mice and bugs out of the patch. It is a bit hit or miss, but its always worth a try.

Keeps vampires away too....

Garlic is a useful material; it has antibiotic, and insecticidal properties....if planted with vegetables it can keep mice and bugs out of the patch. It is a bit hit or miss, but its always worth a try.

Someone (perhaps even our vet) had told me and my late wife years ago about putting garlic pills in our dog's food for help in keeping fleas off of them, and we did that for years.

Had to hide it in their food, and even then, they'd occasionally find them and spit them out.

But that GSD frigging loved those damn garlic snacks...

Brewers yeast is also useful if tge dog will eat it. Increased B vitamins repel insects. Essential your skin or the dog's will taste and smell bad to bugs. Repels mosquitos as well.

Someone (perhaps even our vet) had told me and my late wife years ago about putting garlic pills in our dog's food for help in keeping fleas off of them, and we did that for years.

Had to hide it in their food, and even then, they'd occasionally find them and spit them out.

But that GSD frigging loved those damn garlic snacks...
EVERYBODY!!! P-L-E-A-S-E read the provided link!!!

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-garlic/#:~:text=According to the Merck Veterinary,dogs but not to humans.&text=Thiosulfate causes oxidative damage to,cells, resulting in hemolytic anemia.

Garlic is toxic to dogs!!! This is why I always say: Just go to a good vet and skip all this snake oil shit!!!

PLEASE don't be mad at me... I just want whats best for the dog!!!

Hope this helps... 🐕

This is wonderful. I can see that your dog is in good, loving hands. Since you asked for advise, I'd like to ask: Do you see any indication of fleas on your dog at this time? If so, call your vet today. If not, then simply wait for your next, scheduled visit to your vet.

Hope this helps... 🐕
You seem to have issues with non-toxic methods. Whats your problem, bub?

EVERYBODY!!! P-L-E-A-S-E read the provided link!!!

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-garlic/#:~:text=According to the Merck Veterinary,dogs but not to humans.&text=Thiosulfate causes oxidative damage to,cells, resulting in hemolytic anemia.

Garlic is toxic to dogs!!! This is why I always say: Just go to a good vet and skip all this snake oil shit!!!

PLEASE don't be mad at me... I just want whats best for the dog!!!

Hope this helps... 🐕
Did YOU READ your own article, bub? 30 grams is an ounce....a kilo is two pounds....a fifty pound dog would need to ingest about 25 ounces of garlic to create the beginnings of the issue cited. Twenty-five OUNCES. That much garlic would be insane to even have around the house. I dont think the use of an small amount, such as what is present in a bag of chips, or your spaghetti sauce is going to be much of a problem. LD-50 rates fir the various flea and tick internal meds are FAR lower....in other words, it takes very little to do harm. Dunno how much YOU weigh, but if youre a hundred pounds youd need fifty ounces of garlic.....think you can eat that much at one sitting?

"I" do NOT have "issues" with non-toxic methods. My problem is with the TOXIC methods that you are spreading. Read the link!!!

I am reporting you to the mods... Have a nice day... 🐕
Have a ball chummy....and read your own article while you grow up

To ANYone that actually cares for the health of their dog... I'm pasting text from the "article":

The smell of roasting garlic is one of those scents that immediately makes most of us hungry. It’s featured in cuisines around the globe and is found in many of our favorite foods. Scientific evidence even suggests that garlic has medicinal benefits for humans, so it’s perfectly natural to wonder: Can dogs eat garlic?

The answer, emphatically, is no.

Is It Safe for Dogs to Eat Garlic?​

Garlic might be good for people, but dogs metabolize certain foods differently than we do. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, garlic and other members of the allium family, including onions, contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to dogs but not to humans.

Thiosulfate causes oxidative damage to red blood cells, resulting in hemolytic anemia. Symptoms of anemia include pale mucous membranes, rapid breathing, lethargy, weakness, jaundice, and dark colored urine. Garlic toxicity also causes symptoms of gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, depression, and dehydration.

How Much Garlic is Toxic to Dogs?​

Studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilograms of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot to get really sick. However, some dogs are more sensitive to garlic toxicity than others, and consumption of a toxic dose spread out over a few days could also cause problems.

This means that if your dog accidentally eats something containing a little garlic, they will probably be okay, but intentionally feeding it to your dog is a bad idea.

Take care... 🐕

You really ought to try comprehending what you spout, kid. Do what you like to your dog.

Last edited:
Back