Dog paws smelling like cheetos

Stop eating cheetos and leaving the dust all over the place. :D
Dog paws smell like cookies.
I would imagine it depends on the breed and where the dog is. So the smell is probably not that important.

Boots smells like corn chips, but he has severe skin issues. I also had a jack jussel mix that smelled similar, who also had skin issues. It's likely due to yeast build up, and the dogs inability to fight off the build up. This is usually because of poor immune response on the dogs end. It's really only an issue if you notice excessive itching/biting.

I've heard of animal feet smelling like that. I remember on Dirty Jobs, there was some animal I don't recall that was named Popcorn because that's what its feet smelled like.

Chiming in to add my vet two cents: the “yeasty” or “corny” smell is absolutely a thing, and it’s caused by two perfectly harmless bacteria, Pseudomonas and Proteus, that like hanging out in damp dog feets (that’s where their sweat glands are!)

I cultured out pseudomonas on agar a couple days ago and opening the Petri fish was like opening a bag of tortilla chips :)

The corn chips / Cheeto smell is from dogs having food too high in starches. The starches feed a naturally occurring yeast and causes it to multiply substantially. Every dog does not have it, it’s just very common because of the general low quality of pet foods and high amounts of starchy fillers. I would suggest trying a food lower in starches to ensure the excessive yeast growth doesn’t cause skin irritation.

My dogs paws smell like Fritos. It's mild though and no I didn't sniff them just for this. Lol I had sniffed them previously when I had heard about them smelling like Fritos. :D

Shouldn't be a cheesy smell though. Mine don't really stink even after they go running with me. I have mine on a real food diet though, we don't do processed dog food. Definitely recommend a real food diet if you've got the time to make it and keep up with it. I wouldn't say it is raw exactly because I cook the meat and soften the vegetables. And they get fresh blueberries for treats among other things.

Shouldn't be a cheesy smell though. Mine don't really stink even after they go running with me. I have mine on a real food diet though, we don't do processed dog food. Definitely recommend a real food diet if you've got the time to make it and keep up with it. I wouldn't say it is raw exactly because I cook the meat and soften the vegetables. And they get fresh blueberries for treats among other things.
Does it make their coat more shiny?

Back