Dog accommodation/living space?

We currently don't have any dogs, we only have a cat, but my mom expressed interest in getting a family dog, and my interest in dogs has also grown. We've had cats for years now.

We started talking about how to set up a few things, if we were to get a dog. I asked her, if we would keep the dog in the house and she said: "The dog can be inside the house when someone is at home and when were all away it would need to be in a dog kennel outside". (She was thinking about a kennel like the one in the picture). In the winter months we would have the dog inside the house and in a dog crate, when everyone's away from home. I live in a moderate continental climate, temperature stays in the 10°C to 30°C (50-86°F) from March to September. Is that okay for a dog to live in a kennel outside? It's May, but we've had a few cold night, when i get up at 5am to get to work it felt chilly and it was around 8°C (46°F).

I would probably build the kennel myself, i like DIY stuff, i have the space and the tools. Just wondering how much space does a dog need? Some of the examples I've looked at on the internet are just a big box with metal bars and a small wooden box as a "dog house".

I'm asking would this be ok, or should some other option of accommodation for dogs be figured out? Our cat sleeps in the living room on his cat scratching tree or in a small box. What should we get for a dog to sleep in?

Attachments

• example 1.jpg
    example 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 6
  • example 2.jpg
    example 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
I have my dog in my home 24/7 (except when we are both out) and I have had 0 issues even not being home for half a day. He sleeps through it. Because I set up my living conditions in a way that prevent injury to my dog. No exposed cables and such. Keeping a sentient animal locked in a cage because of convenience is cruel and frankly unnecessary.

Just wondering how much space does a dog need?
As much as possible. And any enclosure will become bland and boring if it does not change and provides no stimulation. My dog has a whole huge backyard on some weekends. He likes it, but going out on a walk always gets him super excited.

What should we get for a dog to sleep in?
Your bed.
Dogs are social animals. If you want a close relationship with your dog, spend time with him/her including idle time and sleeping time. It is not a toy, you do not keep it in a box when you are not using it.

ask your mother how many pack animals she can list that single out a single member to live outside the pack. that's what i usually ask ppl who do this "a dog should guard", "a dog shouldn't be allowed in the house", "a dog needs a kennel" and variations bs.

ask your mother how many pack animals she can list that single out a single member to live outside the pack. that's what i usually ask ppl who do this "a dog should guard", "a dog shouldn't be allowed in the house", "a dog needs a kennel" and variations bs.
She came from a village, back in her days (and even still), dogs were put on a chain infront of the house as guard dogs, some are free to roam in enclosed front yards. My relatives have a german shepard and they keep him in an same model of the kennel pictured in the first post, i think it because they have 4 cats in the house. Im also worried about that, if i have a dog and a cat inside an apartment, will they get along?

I remember when we had one cat and got a second one, the first ine tried to attack the new cat constantly, but they got along eventually. I was thinking about getting a female labrador puppy, are they good with cats?

I have my dog in my home 24/7 (except when we are both out) and I have had 0 issues even not being home for half a day. He sleeps through it. Because I set up my living conditions in a way that prevent injury to my dog. No exposed cables and such. Keeping a sentient animal locked in a cage because of convenience is cruel and frankly unnecessary.

As much as possible. And any enclosure will become bland and boring if it does not change and provides no stimulation. My dog has a whole huge backyard on some weekends. He likes it, but going out on a walk always gets him super excited.

Your bed.
Dogs are social animals. If you want a close relationship with your dog, spend time with him/her including idle time and sleeping time. It is not a toy, you do not keep it in a box when you are not using it.
I'll try to convince her, but i think she'll want to have it her way. Living with parents is a pain, but pretty much impossible to get my own place. But, we are living in a 2 story house and first floor is pretty much empty, maybe if i can convince her that dhe moves downstairs and i can share the second floor with my brother and a puppy.
I live in the countryside, we also have a big back/front yard, it a big ungated grass field. We also live close the edge of a forest. I go on walks often, and I'd take a dog with me. One neighboring family takes their dog on walks and they don't keep in on a leash and he sometimes runs on your backyard. I dont know how safe would it be to keep a dog in my backyard, sometimes a random deer shows up, I've also seen a red fox in the evening.
I've had my cat sleep on my bed, but sometimes it's a problem, bcs i roll from my left to right hip. The cat gets in between my legs, it would probably be harder for a dog to fit. I have an office chair next to my bed, sometimes the cat sleeps on it. My current room is pretty small 2.6x2.6 meters. I think i could put a dog bed in the living room. But I'll try to find a way, maybe getting a bigger bed for myself that can fit me and a dog.

Back