does anyone have experience with Samoyeds?

curiosa

Lurker
I'm looking in to eventually getting a dog as a companion and eventually a lover if he's interested. I'm just curious on a few things... mainly any info I can get about Samoyeds.

How are they as a companion (eg. trainability, attitude) but also, how are they as something more? Are they excitable, do they have a sex drive? How big are they?

They are great dogs had one well she was a mix with Akita very smart teachable loyal she was pretty big they need a lot of activity and attention not sure about anything extra she was spayed before I got her and I was really young

I'd look into your climate. If your climate is not temperate or cold, I would advice against getting a dog like samoyed, husky or malamute, they will be miserable in the heat, unless you shave them down every time the temperatures get too high for them to function anymore.
Samoyed is a reserved dog which will need a bit more effort to get to do things you ask them to. They are arctic primitive type dogs, so that is a challenge.
I'd ask you, why do you want this breed in the first place? Do you think the requirements you have would fit some other breed better?

EDIT: oh yeah!! almost forgot: go to your local breed gathering! Do the work, it is SO worth it even if you decide against this breed!

I'd look into your climate. If your climate is not temperate or cold, I would advice against getting a dog like samoyed, husky or malamute, they will be miserable in the heat, unless you shave them down every time the temperatures get too high for them to function anymore.
Samoyed is a reserved dog which will need a bit more effort to get to do things you ask them to. They are arctic primitive type dogs, so that is a challenge.
I'd ask you, why do you want this breed in the first place? Do you think the requirements you have would fit some other breed better?

EDIT: oh yeah!! almost forgot: go to your local breed gathering! Do the work, it is SO worth it even if you decide against this breed!

Now that I'm giving it some thought I think perhaps a Samoyed wouldn't be the best choice. I don't have an adequate living situation for an active breed and may opt for something lazier haha. I was drawn to them due to their loving and cuddly natures. Every Samoyed I've met has been very affectionate and loved to snuggle.

Now that I'm giving it some thought I think perhaps a Samoyed wouldn't be the best choice. I don't have an adequate living situation for an active breed and may opt for something lazier haha. I was drawn to them due to their loving and cuddly natures. Every Samoyed I've met has been very affectionate and loved to snuggle.

Funny how every Samoyed I've met has been very reserved! I think the Finnish line of this dog is bred differently?
Anyway, it's super cool you can come to a conclusion that this dog is not for you. Shows your intelligence and love for dogs to come to a realistic conclusion.
There's a lot of cuddly and loving dogs in the world, so I'm sure you can find a breed or a mix that you get best along with.
Also; some dog breeds which need a lot of exercise are surprisingly chill inside the house. But it's still a high requirement to spend 2 hours of time outside, active with a dog to keep them chill inside the house.. and you also have to teach them to not play inside, so a lot of experience is a must in the first place with an active breed of dog..

Anyway, I'm going on a tangent at this point..! I wish you luck on your search :9!

Back