Does anyone else’s dogs hate wasps and bees?

Daneζ

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
My Dane girl will stand and wait for wasps or bees to get close to her, and then chase them all around the shop trying to kill them. If she even hears one buzzing around, that’s all that she will focus on. It cute and funny, but I also don’t want her to get stung so I try to smash them before she can get ahold of them. Anyone else’s puppers do this?

My dog and I run. I scream a little and my girl just runs away from them. Kind of reminds me of that one painting...

View attachment 169945
Well I don’t think she has ever been stung by one, because I always get them before she does. She likes to act tough but comes running to me whenever something falls over and makes a lound noise so I’m sure if she got stung once she wouldn’t mess with them anymore. 😂

Really the mud daubers aren’t horrible, they kind of leave you alone. That is until my girl pisses them off, that’s when they’re a problem. 😂

Nope. Mine keeps trying to eat them. Apparently the fuzzbutts look more appetizing than threatening. Unless his idea of neutralizing a threat is eating it.

I can't say my companion hated them, but he killed them indoors if I couldn't catch them to set them free beforehand. He was good at it and apparently knew about the danger and how to avoid getting stung, treating wasps differently than flies for example.

Dogs can be allergic to being stung, just as people can. If theyre chasing yellowjackets, try to remove the nest if possible. Keep the trash covered. 'Jackets eat nasty stuff. Don't leave soda or beer containers around. If you recycle wash them out well. Paper wasps eat spiders....if you lose the wasps you WILL see a gain in those. But their nests can just be knocked down....usually they arent a challenge.

Can't say my boy has ever really been around them, other than the rare one randomly buzzing by when we're out.

If you want to get rid of wasps though, mint, it's almost like magic. Wasps hate mint, not 100% sure if just the plants will create a barrier to keep them away from the vicinity, but if you get some mint extract from the baking aisle, dilute it in a spray bottle, and spray the nest site, they will abandon the nest and never rebuild. Far far more effective than any commercial wasp killer.

Can't say my boy has ever really been around them, other than the rare one randomly buzzing by when we're out.
If you want to get rid of wasps though, mint, it's almost like magic. Wasps hate mint, not 100% sure if just the plants will create a barrier to keep them away from the vicinity, but if you get some mint extract from the baking aisle, dilute it in a spray bottle, and spray the nest site, they will abandon the nest and never rebuild. Far far more effective than any commercial wasp killer.
Thanks for the advice!

I had a dog once that used to eat wasps. He would chase them catch them in his mouth and get stung. Must not have bothered him too much cause I was never long before he was after another one. Anyway we were dealing with a lot of wood boring bees and found that by 7 dusting their holes we could keep them in check for the most part. Just had to make sure that none of the dust came in contact with the pups cause it could've gotten them killed.

My boy tries to chase and bite wasps, which isn't a wise thing to do so I have to tell him off. He does the same with flies and just spits them back out, usually they survive so he can go and chase them again.

My Newfie doesn't care about them, she kind of just ignores them. My littler girl on the other hand tries to eat them. She hasn't caught one yet, but if she ever does, she's going to learn than they're a little more spicier than she initially thought.

Mine tried and succeeded to eat a bee once, and is now terrified of anything that buzzes.
He's an idiot but at least it means I don't have to worry about him pissing off a wasp nest 😅

Max def hates wasps, but somehow isn't minded too much by bees.

He will kill any spider on sight, which to me was an amazing talent I never knew I needed my partner to handle. Shady my lab never got the idea of "killthatfuckingspiderfuckfuckfuck".

My Dane girl will stand and wait for wasps or bees to get close to her, and then chase them all around the shop trying to kill them. If she even hears one buzzing around, that’s all that she will focus on. It cute and funny, but I also don’t want her to get stung so I try to smash them before she can get ahold of them. Anyone else’s puppers do this?
Yea, that's what happens to my boxers every time, the first time the get stung by one.

Now to my dog's they are flying terrorists that need extermination. Hahaha.

Attachments

• Resized_20200527_185137.jpeg
    Resized_20200527_185137.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 14
Mine hates wasps too. And those bastards seem to always come back and build a new nest. My boy always gets stung on the nose

My dog also hate fly and mosquitos. He ates them if he catch them, but even if he try to bite bees or wasps, he's afraid of them cause he was stung many times as a pup 🥺

Max hates wasps and will try to kill them. He's also not a fan of mosquitoes, and I do try to hike off-season for them because of that.

My dog will try to catch them in the air and eat them, often before I even notice they're there. He's been successful a couple times, fortunately hasn't been stung in the mouth yet.

When I was a kid, we had a little Spitz type mutt who HATED wasps. She would snatch them out of the air and kill them, and somehow never seemed to get stung. She ignored bees, but wasps are aggressive. Once the weather starts turning cold here, it makes them cranky and they will attack anything that moves.

Back