Do you wash your dog?

Do you give them a wash?

• Total voters

IcySnowBear

Tourist
Do you give your animals genitals a quick wash before doing anything sexual? Should I be doing that? Is it bad if I don't? Is it better if I don't? Just wondering what the general consensus is. I know stallions need cleaning but I mean outside of that sort of regular maintenance regardless of species.

My dog goes to the groomer monthly to get groomed I dont do anything special before we have any close time together the only time I wash him outside of his normal grooming is if he gets into something he shouldn't and needs to be washed so I dont do anything special just normal dog grooming like anyone would do.

My girl gets a full bath and like a little spa day probably once or twice a week. She absolutely loves it, it's like getting a massage to her. Sometimes she'll go and jump into the bath and just sit there trying to tell me she wants one.

Her natural scent that comes in around three or four days after the last bath is one of my favourite things. But two weeks after a bath that's not a scent anymore that's just dirty dog stink.🤣

My girl gets a full bath and like a little spa day probably once or twice a week. She absolutely loves it, it's like getting a massage to her. Sometimes she'll go and jump into the bath and just sit there trying to tell me she wants one.

Her natural scent that comes in around three or four days after the last bath is one of my favourite things. But two weeks after a bath that's not a scent anymore that's just dirty dog stink.🤣
Once or twice a week may be too much, I would consider cutting back a bit so their skin and fur have time for natural oils to come back otherwise you can increase chances of drying out their skin and causing itching and such.

Once or twice a week may be too much, I would consider cutting back a bit so their skin and fur have time for natural oils to come back otherwise you can increase chances of drying out their skin and causing itching and such.
My girl has very sensitive skin, I can only use certain shampoos prescribed to me by my vet. She goes to work with me and I work outdoors so often we both come home full of mud and dirt and needless to say we both get a bath. She sleeps in my bed under the duvets so I have to make sure she's always clean. We haven't had any skin issues yet luckily.

My girl has very sensitive skin, I can only use certain shampoos prescribed to me by my vet. She goes to work with me and I work outdoors so often we both come home full of mud and dirt and needless to say we both get a bath. She sleeps in my bed under the duvets so I have to make sure she's always clean. We haven't had any skin issues yet luckily.
Ah I see that makes sense! :)

My girl has very sensitive skin, She goes to work with me and I work outdoors so often we both come home full of mud and dirt
I have to give my boys special food because of skin allergies, Does her skin get worse at certain times of the year? Grass allergies and yeast problems are frustrating.

I use masturbation to get them to take baths as needed. A little manipulative I know, but boy do they love baths as a result. There is also probably nothing more hilarious than asking who wants to take a bath, and then hearing the fury of 12 claws scraping the floor in the other room trying to get traction for a race to the tub. They will take a bath if I ask them reguardless, but they clearly look forward to being jerked off, so I keep that positive association.

I dont think that washing is really needed for dogs, they can jump into the next lake and take a short swim - this should be enough.
Soap or shampoo is definitely not required

I have to give my boys special food because of skin allergies, Does her skin get worse at certain times of the year? Grass allergies and yeast problems are frustrating.
Luckily not really seasonal, her coat is short and mostly white which leaves her susceptible to sunburn. She also gets rashes if we hike in the bush for too long and the grass and underbrush run on her belly. She gets red patches in a few spots other than what I've mentioned but I've got some cream from my vet that works very well. Here in south africa we have grass and Bush 365 days a year so she might have some allergies.🙂

Here in south africa we have grass and Bush 365 days a year so she might have some allergies.🙂
Oh man, that's tough. I was told my one boys were seasonal, but he ended up having bad skin reactions even in winter. I managed to get him on a medicine that makes him far less itchy, but I think it may be yeast related. I bathe his feet more regularly than the others. He does also smell like corn chips.

Nein, birds don't need a wash. In the rain they just sit it out and they take dust baths every now and then.
Probably for the better, because that sounds like a struggle! I had never even considered trying to wash an ostrich until this point, but if you had told me you had a giant bird tub for them, I wouldn't have thought twice! lol. Not only does the thought tickle me, but I will be repeating the phrase, Washstrich in my head for the next few days.

Depends on the dog breed.
But usually only when they get into something or start to stink.

My husky likes to go into puddles but usually when dries off the grit falls off as well.
But i do bath and dry her with a blower when its sheeding time to help remove loose undercoat to prevent matting.
Now my short haired boy i bathe more frequently (1 a month) since he stinks of hormones and also its only a 30 minute job compared to 2 hours with the husky.

I now see you are referring the genitals and no, there is no need. Dogs are very good at keeping them clean there compared to livestock like cows and the like.

I dont think that washing is really needed for dogs, they can jump into the next lake and take a short swim - this should be enough.
Soap or shampoo is definitely not required
That definitely depends on the coat type.
Some tripple coated dogs can get matted if not dried properly and brushed.
Can probably avoid baths if the smell is not too bad if you just brush a couple times a week

My dogs only get baths if they've rolled in some foul "perfume" they found or otherwise dirty.

We wipe down genitals (hers and mine) beforehand to help keep things clean and reduce the chancess of a UTI, but otherwise I leave them as-is.

A lot of times "dog stink" can be due to anal glands, especially if the dog has been having soft stools; usually a fishy smell.

Back