Daylight Savings Time

J

Judas_Trying

I totally forgot! And is the US the only place this happens?

Why? Farmers explain please and thankies ;p

🤷🏻‍♀️

Yep here in the UK and most of Europe, although here there were calls to scrap it and move to DST permanently.
I think the thing with DST and farmers is a myth, I believe it was originally brought in to save energy in the evening.

Yep here in the UK and most of Europe, although here there were calls to scrap it and move to DST permanently.
I think the thing with DST and farmers is a myth, I believe it was originally brought in to save energy in the evening.

hmmm, interesting! normally I would Wikipedia this but i wanted to hear y’alls thoughts

DST was invented by Poor Richard (Benjamin Franklin) as a way to conserve energy (lamp oil). It has since been used by many countries on a war footing with rationing. Congress reinstituted it during the Energy Crisis even though studies show that it makes about a 0.2 % difference with modern technology.

Farmers hate it because all of dirt farming is based around photoperiod and moisture levels without regard to any human convention. Livestock owners hate it because it is a major bitch to reset animals twice a year and you are out of sync with the humans if you don't.

I have actually seen hunters making a special trip to the woods to reset the clock on their feeders.

A common modern excuse for its continued use is "think of the children". Even baby bush used it when he extended DLS by a full month. "So kids aren't made to stand outside in the dark waiting for the bus."

DST_Countries_Map.png
Not at all an only one, I'd say most people using this site are living in place where this outdated obsolate thing is still going.
Personally I don't care about that much.

Back