Data Recovery Needed! Willing to share recovered archives

Just be aware that most who run TOR setups frown pretty hard on torrenting through them without special arrangements - I've heard, but don't know if it's just rumor or actual fact, that it's pretty easy and fairly common to set up a TOR exit so that bittorrent traffic is automatically detected and dumped on the floor. Which, based on what I know as fact for TOR, is generally a good idea - the traffic that bittorrent generates can swamp a TOR gateway, because the bandwidth through the TOR system is relatively limited - it was designed for anonymizing relatively light, "bursty" traffic, such as what you get with email and web browsing, not the wholesale, wall-to-wall data-dumping that comes with bittorrent transfers.

If you do find a bittorrent-friendly exit, be aware that you're almost certainly going to get lousy throughput as a consequence of your packets being bounced around between who-knows-how-many TOR gateways before it gets to wherever it's supposed to go.

Strongly suggest you ignore TOR for torrent work, and go with a VPN. IPVanish is one I've used, and they seem to do a good job. They're decently cheap, take anonymous "gift cards" for payment without griping about it, accept "throwaway" emails like 10minuteemail.com for account setup, have lots of "I want to look like I'm coming from ______" servers, and specifically state that they welcome bittorrent traffic. And they say they keep no logs. That last one is fairly important, but no matter which VPN provider you go with, there's no way to know for certain whether that claim is truth or just advertising.

Tor is suitable for HTTP traffic, it does not cope (well) with other protocols. So Tor is not Torrent friendly.
As for a VPN, NordVPN just got it's ass kicked by some hackers, so NordVPN is out of the question.

You state you need the Truecrypt container open in order upload the data. You do not have to. You could take a portion of the files, RAR it into an archive and password protect the archive with a fancy passwordphrase. Then upload the torrent somewhere, share the magnet link and password here and no one outside this forum will be any wiser since they can only see the file but are unable to decrypt it and view the contents.

This is also done sharing movies on Usenet. People upload RAR files to Usenet (might be encrypted but not everybody does this), give it some kind of name like ertgsdfgsdgdfklgnjsdklhjdgljdglksd.rar and share what's actually inside in a forum or another newsgroup called FTD. Newsservers have a retention of a few years so your data is still available even if no one seeds it.

There are a lot of people hunting the posters of those movies, but it is almost impossible. They could download the files, but cannot see the content. They will most likely hunt the forums in order to find the movie files and then file a takedown notice in order to get them off of Usenet. But this is not one of the sites on their radar since no blockbusters are being shared here.

For those downloading : Since Usenet is a distributed service, they need to get the logs from every newsserver provider to check who downloads the files. Torrents are easier to follow, and this is why TPB etc has been blocked everywhere. So if you upload an encrypted archive by using a VPN and share the password here, nobody knows and you are pretty safe. Unless you use your real IP here and they find the password.

The only downside : if you do not have a newsserver available, you can't up or download it.

Good luck getting anything taken down on usenet - It's been at least 10 years since I saw an NNTP server that does anything more with a cancel than log it and drop it on the floor. As for "years" of retention, I highly doubt it. Perhaps in some of the text-only groups, but it's been years since the binary groups (that I had any interest in looking at, anyway) had retention of better than a week.

So, I am a former active member of BF and am following this closely. I seee it is over a year old, has there been any activity as far as your content on the recovered drive?

So, I am a former active member of BF and am following this closely. I seee it is over a year old, has there been any activity as far as your content on the recovered drive?
The OP is gone. I wonder if it all went well. Seemed like a lot of hassle.

Back