Cost of ownership

topstud

Zooville Settler
Not sure if this thread belongs here, but I'm sure I'll be informed.

So horses are amazing, but I'm a city boy. I do have the ability to do remote work, and make decent money - the pandemic was good for that, at least. Lately I've found myself wondering about what is the total cost of ownership for a horse, or what the best way to go about ownership is. Obviously you'd want to buy a place, and then....

I know absolutely nothing about what ongoing costs might be, how much land to get, veterinary costs, etc etc etc. I've also heard that just having one horse is kinda bad, in that horses are herd animals and don't do well alone.

I do happen to think minis are amazing. But yeah, any ideas what the total and ongoing costs are?

First off how much if any experience do you have with equines in general, my full response will take this into consideration and do you wish to ride or just have a equine companion.

Nil, always been a city boy. IDK about riding, like I said minis are somehow the most attractive to me. But perhaps riding might be fun anyway, get away from people for a bit

If miniatures are what you're most interested in I'll go into detail on them first, good option for those with little want or attractions to full sized equines. Much less space requirements, reduced feeding expenses ect, a large well fenced in yard is enough for a pair of minis, yes you'll want either two or another animal to keep them company as they don't do well alone. Average cost of care without any major medical emergencies will run around $2,500 to $5,000 a year depending on location. Veterinary costs are the same for minis or full sized equines for the most part, some are cheaper with minis but not always.

If you're truly interested in learning to ride I'd suggest taking riding lessons at a stable that way you can learn hands on everything that's necessary for caring for them before buying anything, even if you do decide to get minis instead it's still applicable other than the riding itself.

Average cost of care without any major medical emergencies will run around $2,500 to $5,000 a year depending on location. Veterinary costs are the same for minis or full sized equines for the most part, some are cheaper with minis but not always.

What about feeding them and that sort of thing? I doubt a yard would be enough?

What about feeding them and that sort of thing? I doubt a yard would be enough?
Yes they're going to require feeding in addition to grazing unless you have a very large pasture but leaving most miniatures on lush grass leads to them getting overweight, grain and hay needs for minis isn't very much if we're talking about large dog sized equines not small ponies.

3e671ae20148efb608c5d0806bed8176--mini-horses-horses-and-dogs.jpg

Haha, I guess that's the other thing, it seems like there's a wide variety of minis - sub breeds or idk what they're called. What are they called?? Because they do very often look different

There's several types and breeds of miniature horses yes, but the general rule is any equine under 39 inches tall is considered a mini, 39 and above is a small pony. The options are nearly limitless on size and color as well, one of mine is only 28 inches tall and the other 36 inches.

Falabelle, a beautiful miniature breed with full sized horse looks and proportions, and the American Miniature Horse which covers any horse meeting the size requirements. There's several "designer" breeds as well but most are outrageously expensive, see miniature Gypsy Vanner for price shock.

Yikes! it's all food for thought
Indeed, I always suggest getting one that you like and get along with well, unless you're planning on breeding (not that kind) there's no sense in paying a overinflated price for a pet/companion when a cheaper one is just as capable of being everything you're looking for.

Sorry to keep pestering you with questions, but approximately how much land would you recommend for a pair of minis, in acres?

Sorry for the late response, minis require at least a quarter acre each, a half acre is suitable for a pair but a full acre would be better so they have space to run and play in, which like all equines they absolutely love doing.

Sorry for the late response, minis require at least a quarter acre each, a half acre is suitable for a pair but a full acre would be better so they have space to run and play in, which like all equines they absolutely love doing.
Resurrecting dead thread to ask one more thing, what about fleas? I've heard horses don't actually really get fleas?

Resurrecting dead thread to ask one more thing, what about fleas? I've heard horses don't actually really get fleas?
Fleas not really, ticks are prone to get in places that a equine can't remove them from so you can expect to have to help out by removing them from under their tails and in between the hind legs. Not a huge problem nor a real issue as they should be used to being cleaned in those areas regardless.

Back