Chosse between Malinois and Cane corso

Hi

Me and my wife have take the decision to own a dog, a male one.
We love dogs, and we want to share our home with him and our cats

We like the option to have some play wirth him, but it's not the main reasoin why .

A friend of us give us a baby Malinois when it will have the age to be separated from his mothher and in another hand we can get a 9mo cane corso.

Whats is the best choice ? from a behaviour point, evryday life, and from a sexual point too

Cheers

The Cane Corso will be the easier of the two breeds. If you don't have a VERY ACTIVE lifestyle, then you probably shouldn't stick with the Malinois. Those guys require a shit ton of training, exercise, and stimulation. The Cane Corso isn't a particularly easy breed, mainly due to their size and protective instincts, but they will be easier.

Have you ever had a dog before?

Attached are some videos that show the pros and cons of each.

Note: this guy does give you a short and sorta harsh reality about dog breeds, however, I don't endorse his training style

Have you any previous experience owning dogs? Need to take into account quite a lot of things, free time to train , your working hours, will they be left alone etc. both are great dogs in the right environment and with the correct training.

If your new to dog ownership id personally look for a different breed. Labs etc make ideal first dogs

Malinois are incredibly active and require lots of training and enrichment. They are a working dog don’t respond well to being left for long periods, they will destroy anything to keep themselves entertained.

Corso’s are quite similar, they require stimulation and training. People assume they are a lazy mastiff but cane corso’s have quite alot of drive as they are more of a working mastiff. They are big, fast and powerful dogs, but are incredibly loving and protective.

From a corso owner’s personal perspective, id choose a corso over the malinois, but you need to look into both breeds in depth and see if either would suit.

If you don't want your lifestyle to revolve around your dog, I'd get neither of these breeds, they're not for the faint of heart. They can be prone to dog aggression, same sex aggression, animal aggression, reactivity, high prey drive, resource guarding, separation anxiety, etc. They're a liability in inexperienced hands.

I have never had a Cane Corso I have however owned for 13 yrs a Malinois until his hips got bad. Smartest dog I’ve ever had. He wasn’t overly destructive once he was told no and we never had a problem. They or he was ball crazy and would do anything for a ball. The only reason I didn’t get another was due to the fact he shed. I could have weaved his sheddings. We have a chain link fence 16 x 24 and never had a problem.

I have a Belgium Malinois and let me tell you something.
She is/was ABSOLUTELY STARK RAVING, TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT! This is NOT the breed for a novice. They will test your patience and purposefully try to walk all over you and they will if you let them. You gotta have the patience of a Saint, the mental fortitude of a sage and the pain tolerance of an MMA foghter. They are absolutely insane but to be honest I personally wouldn't have it any other way. She has been the light of my life for 14 years now.
Cane Corso on the other hand I honestly haven't a clue.

i have a female cane corso and she is one of the most loving dogs that i ever had! she's pretty clumsy, sometimes she looks like she has no idea of how big and heavy she is, but i think this is pretty goofy and cute 😅 but i just recommend taking care because of their sizes, they could actually injure someone acidentally by trying to play with them, but overall they are pretty cool dogs!

im planning on adopting a cane corso when istart to live alone!

I have a Belgium Malinois and let me tell you something.
She is/was ABSOLUTELY STARK RAVING, TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT! This is NOT the breed for a novice. They will test your patience and purposefully try to walk all over you and they will if you let them. You gotta have the patience of a Saint, the mental fortitude of a sage and the pain tolerance of an MMA foghter. They are absolutely insane but to be honest I personally wouldn't have it any other way. She has been the light of my life for 14 years now.
Cane Corso on the other hand I honestly haven't a clue.
i always wanted to have either a malinois or a groenendael! i think im pretty experienced at handling dogs because both my parents works with dogs, we have a dog daycare and i have a lot of contact with dogs since i was born! both malinois and groenendael are awesome dogs. i know they need a lot of stimulation and challenges because of how smart and energetic they are and i think i cand handle it pretty well. i already do a lot of exercises with my husky, i got a lot of free time to walk/run them and play so i think they are one of the best breeds for me

i always wanted to have either a malinois or a groenendael! i think im pretty experienced at handling dogs because both my parents works with dogs, we have a dog daycare and i have a lot of contact with dogs since i was born! both malinois and groenendael are awesome dogs. i know they need a lot of stimulation and challenges because of how smart and energetic they are and i think i cand handle it pretty well. i already do a lot of exercises with my husky, i got a lot of free time to walk/run them and play so i think they are one of the best breeds for me
Hell yeah! Be sure and do some research an such first regardless. It was crazy until we finally got in sync and she accepted I was the alpha.

She just kinda fell in my lap one day had no plan of getting another dog but I nearly ran her skinny ass over with my truck. I had no idea what she was when I got her, I just assumed she was some kinda shepherd until I started googling and found a military training video of a Malinois hurtling a parked car and them ripping a guy out the window of a moving van. Just kinda looked over at her on the floor next to me and thought "holy shit what did I bring in my house??!!" XD

Hell yeah! Be sure and do some research an such first regardless. It was crazy until we finally got in sync and she accepted I was the alpha.

She just kinda fell in my lap one day had no plan of getting another dog but I nearly ran her skinny ass over with my truck. I had no idea what she was when I got her, I just assumed she was some kinda shepherd until I started googling and found a military training video of a Malinois hurtling a parked car and them ripping a guy out the window of a moving van. Just kinda looked over at her on the floor next to me and thought "holy shit what did I bring in my house??!!" XD
lmaooo yeah shepherds are completely insane dogs, even smaller breeds of shepherds are WAY stronger and insane than they looks like

lmaooo yeah shepherds are completely insane dogs, even smaller breeds of shepherds are WAY stronger and insane than they looks like
Indeed. Shepherd have always just kinda been my breed(s) I love them all.

groenendael are belgian shepherds, like malinois! they are amazingly beautiful dogs but equally energetic and smart as malinois
Basically like a long coated Malinois.

Indeed. Shepherd have always just kinda been my breed(s) I love them all.

Basically like a long coated Malinois.
yeah, they are from the same "family". there are 4 belgian shepherds

the malinois, tervuren, laekenois, and finally, the groenendael, my personal favorite from these 4

Hi

Thank you for your answer

We have choose to meet the cane corso this next weekend, if we match, we'll get it with us :)

About sexual training, how to do this in a soft way ?

he is one year old now, he is educated, had a nice life, but his owner move a lot now and cannot get it with her.

Cheers

Back