Can humans tranfer stds to their furry freinds and vice versa?

can humans transfer stds to their furry freinds .Might be a stupid question but a freind of mine was asking and i didnt have a answer so i figured id ask here. And maybe if theres any vets here that can share some of their wisdom would be greatly appreciated .

yes

you can pass/get human STDs to your furry friend (they don't get infected, they'll become temporary propagators)
you can pass/get furry STDs from your furry friend (you don't get infected, you'll become a temporary propagator)
and you can get infections that affect both (brucellosis being the most common, unsure about syphilis)

You can get infected with brucellosis anyways by eating undercooked meats

syphilis comes from lamas apparently, so you could give it to a lama, (if true) but maybe not a different animals like, an ostrich.

AIDS came Africans fucking monkeys.
While monkey sex does sound intriguing, I suspect it's more likely from infected blood from killing or eating them. That's what I read somewhere, anyway.

All that said, people are at much higher risk of sharing STDs (or any disease for that matter) with their own species than they are with domestic, well-cared for animals. It's very rare; you'd have to be very unlucky or very careless.

While monkey sex does sound intriguing, I suspect it's more likely from infected blood from killing or eating them. That's what I read somewhere, anyway.
i read that somewhere too.. it's just aids being a "sex disease" (as if sex was the only way of contracting it) kinda led to this well-spread myth of it originating from monkey sex

Reactions: IHO
Who has the balls too mess around with a chimp?
Anyone remember the guy that got his dick pulled off by one? Fuck that shit.

Reactions: IHO
I've heard the thing about sheep and syphilis as well, but I haven't looked into it much. I don't think it's something they just have and you'll get if you fuck 'em since I've been with a couple of different sheep on different occasions and I never contracted anything.

I (personally) have never gotten a disease or UTI from sexual contact with an animal, and I have only used condoms with humans.
I have gotten a few UTIs (and chlamydia once) from sex with humans, but luckily nothing permanent/un-curable.

As @FreakyFred commented on, it's probably a higher risk if you're sharing a non-human partner with other people.

I've heard the thing about sheep and syphilis as well, but I haven't looked into it much. I don't think it's something they just have and you'll get if you fuck 'em since I've been with a couple of different sheep on different occasions and I never contracted anything.

I (personally) have never gotten a disease or UTI from sexual contact with an animal, and I have only used condoms with humans.
I have gotten a few UTIs (and chlamydia once) from sex with humans, but luckily nothing permanent/un-curable.

As @FreakyFred commented on, it's probably a higher risk if you're sharing a non-human partner with other people.
The whole "syphilis came from sheep" concept has been floating around since just after the invention of dirt, or so it would seem based on what I managed to track down years upon years ago, but I've never seen or heard of anything that gives it any serious credibility - no studies, no indication that there's any reality to the claim, nothing. Which is kinda weird, since it seems to me that it would be trivial to actually test the truth of it - A few sheep as test subjects, and a human with an active case of it would be all the supplies needed, I'd think. The human wouldn't even need to actually boink the sheep if he wasn't so inclined - I already know for certain that it's trivial to infect someone (and probably a sheep, assuming it'll grow in them) with syphilis by rubbing a Q-Tip dipped in an active sore into a break in the skin. Seems to me that it'd be a no-brainer thesis project for some med student looking for some easy research credits. Trying to establish the validity of "from sheep to human" transfer might be a bit more problematic, assuming one were trying to prove that the transfer mechanism was "guys fucking sheep"...

Of course, for optimal proof, one would need to find a guy with syphilis who was willing to bone a sheep, then find someone "clean" to bone that same sheep a few months later... Back in the day, the idea of volunteering to get yourself a dose of the syph would be outright nuts, but these days, with the plenty-effective antibiotics we've got sitting on the shelf just waiting to be put to use, getting a case of syphilis as a test subject wouldn't be much of a concern - "OK, Subject N-62851, your wassermann came back positive - Congratulations! Fucking that ewe gave you a good healthy case of syphilis. Come on over here, drop your pants, and bend over the table - we'll have you cleared right up in short order. You aren't allergic to pennicillin, right? Ain't science great?"

I've also heard the "llamas and/or alpacas are the source" variant, but that seems to be a much more recently created story, but again, it's a story with no visible solid evidence to base a declaration of its truth or falsehood on.

Back