Best Way to Care for a Dog?

I've been thinking about getting a dog for a while. I currently have 2 cats, but I'm going to be moving for college soon, so I think now is a good time to look into their needs.

I know this is a question that can be answered with a simple Google search, but I'd love to hear from all of you about the best ways to take care of and raise a dog, since you all would probably know the best about what makes them happiest. :3

College is not the best place to raise a dog. You will most likely be broke and have to live with roommates. You will pay extra to live in a place that lets you keep a dog. If you aren't on a ton of scholarships and financial aid you will have to work ontop of going to class which leaves very little time for caring for a dog. I know another person that was forced to remove their dog from college housing because she would bark when her person was away. It was a very expensive and stressful ordeal.

That being said, if your circumstances are correct, you absolutely can have a dog and care well for them. I was lucky and got my first girl about a year after the pandemic started. My courses were mostly online so I was there for my girl to play, train, and care for her. I had financial aid so I was able to avoid working and also lucky to live rent free with my parents at home.

Research your breeds and look inward. The types of dogs that zoos prefer tend to be larger/heavier, and they generally need regular exercise, training, and bonding. Unless you can bring them with you consistently, you will sacrifice some flexibility. You'll have to come home and walk them. Make sure they get the activity they need. You will probably miss some socializing and parties, and maybe weigh between finishing schoolwork and tending to him/her. Are you going to bring your cats with you? That will add complexity.

Really though, the best way to take care of them is to know what you're committing to, and guarantee you have the resources necessary to keep them well cared for. And then be there with them, every day, no matter what.
Thank you for your input, I have thought a bit about what needs to be done in order to care for a dog in that environment, and I am willing to take on some of the risks that you listed. I would not be bringing my cats with me, as I'd rather leave them with my siblings and parents. I'm not totally committed to a school yet, but I do plan on it in the future, so I will likely be taking time now to research the best conditions for them and for myself.

Within the next year I am going to try my best to apply for as many scholarships as I can to aid my journey, though I will likely still end up working on some level like I am now, which would not be ideal. Even through all of this, I am completely willing to sacrifice some time to watch them and care for them, since why would I get a dog to just leave them alone? There are many factors that I'll need to watch out for, and the idea is still likely a year out from becoming close to a reality at this point in time, but I plan on thinking critically about the ordeal and really weighing my options.

Also, I would be getting a bigger dog and I don't really like parties anyway so I would be happy to do without those haha.

Back