Best breed to live in a flat

Hello guys,
I'm moving to a new flat and i will adopt a dog. As i know, all dogs are different but each breed has your own personality.
In your opinion, whats the best breed to live in a flat?
I was thinking about a Female Saint Bernard or a Female Great dane. I read on internet they are calm and chill, but im not sure if they have a calm personality.
Do you guys have any idea on how much would cost monthy to keep these breeds? (food and so on)

PS: I have a cat

Do you have to go stairs up and down in order to get to your flat and outside? If yes, forget having a large ass dog like a Saint Bernard, Great Dane, and so on...

Every dog (except for Livestock Guarding Dogs) is suitable for a flat.
I live in a flat with two shepherd and they don't suffer at all. As long as you go on walks 3 times a day (one walk should be 1-3 hours) and train them, there's no issue (even if you had a house with a garden, you would have to to on walks and give your dog something to think)

I would avoid dogs that come from hunting stock, just to make sure they don't harm the cat. It's true that Great Danes make good apartment dogs, but there's a lot saying they have aggression issues.

Try looking into spaniels and setters. The breeds in those groups tend to be quiet, and are better suited for apartment living than the other working breeds.
Of course, those breeds are all medium builds.

Many dogs are more suitable for sedentary life than you might think. As long as they have SOME excersize each day, it doesn't have to be extensive. In such a case, I'd make a point of a four hour trip to a dog park on the weekend, with toys like a Frisbee or a ball chucker....my Toller's favorite toy was a basketball....she couldn't bite it, so she'd push it with her nose. For Hours. In great. big. circles. A good long workout once a week makes up for long hours in an Apt. If there are other pets in the home, puppies adjust better to a status quo. Cats do what they do, and have the run of the house. Given the space, they tend not to feel they have to slug it out over turf. You might even find, as I often have, that Dogs and Cats can be buddies. The sporting breeds aren't generally killers....but some working breeds were intended as pest and varmint controllers. Border Collies in numbers, for instance, will act as a pack, and often kill every small critter in a neighborhood if they can catch them....don't trust them too much around puppies they didn't whelp. They can be good companions.

All in all, pick a breed you like and can afford to feed. A Dog is a commitment for the Dog's WHOLE life. If you can't get the dog to be a lover, and that IS a possibility, you'll have a loving companion. But it's your responsibility to the dog. If you teach a dog socially-unacceptable tricks, then walk away from that dog, you might just as well cut its throat. That critter will be literally unadoptable, unless you can give him/her to someone HERE or a similar place. No one breed suits everyone, so choose carefully, and be SURE you want a dog before you do.

Back