AUGH! I've got an earworm! Can anybody help?

UR20Z

Dumpster Diver
I can hear, in my mind, a snatch of a song that I simply CANNOT place. It popped out of nowhere about an hour ago, and has been on repeat in my head since. Here's everything I've got:
"Loves the world
except for all the
peeeee-pul" the whole thing sung on down-sliding pitch.

That's it, that's all I've got - Usually, I can hear the music that goes with the lyrics, but this time, the down-sliding lyric is all I have. It makes me think of Duran Duran, but I'm sure that it's not a Duran Duran tune. Perhaps in the same time period so I heard them both near each other? I've also been flashing on the musical "Chess", but I'm even more sure it isn't from that - again, maybe it's because I heard them in proximity to each other? Help! This is driving me crackers!

I can hear, in my mind, a snatch of a song that I simply CANNOT place. It popped out of nowhere about an hour ago, and has been on repeat in my head since. Here's everything I've got:
"Loves the world
except for all the

That's it, that's all I've got - Usually, I can hear the music that goes with the lyrics, but this time, the down-sliding lyric is all I have. It makes me think of Duran Duran, but I'm sure that it's not a Duran Duran tune. Perhaps in the same time period so I heard them both near each other? I've also been flashing on the musical "Chess", but I'm even more sure it isn't from that - again, maybe it's because I heard them in proximity to each other? Help! This is driving me crackers!
One thing NOBODY on this site wants is YOU going "crackers!" (I wish I could help)
Somebody please help this poor guy!

apparently, phone version of google can help if you can hum at least a few seconds or narrow down the search.
That would be part of the problem - I can't "get the music". All I can come up with is the lyrics being delivered, and the best way I can describe that is that they start on a high-ish note, and drop as the line progresses. All I'm getting out of google/bing/etc when I try punching it into a search is bible verses (John 3:16 is one of the most frequent, closely followed by John, 2:15 , neither of which are even remotely related other than having the words "love" and "world" in them) and what appear to be preachers' notes.

Y'know what's the most maddening part? The *EXACT INSTANT* I find out, assuming I do, I know damn-well it's gonna be a case of "Aw, shit - how could I have POSSIBLY not figured that out?!?!?" Wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out it's one of my personal favorites, but because I can't get it to "play past" the little I've got, I just can't pin it down.

There's definitely an 80s connection involved - Every time it "looped" on me, I had a flash of another 80s-related item - the video from Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf vid, Chess, "Down Under" by Men at Work, Tom Baker's Dr. Who scarf (We got Tom as the Doctor sometime in the mid-80s in my hometown - several years after he'd hung up his scarf in Britain, unless I've been misinformed) riding a bus to the store to pick up a carton of Kools (my brand back then), the smell of the beet piles blowing in from the Monitor Sugar plant, and perhaps the most vivid image of all, dropping a record album - yep, actual vinyl, nope, I can't visualize it clearly enough to read the label, though sometimes that works for me - onto a kiddie-grade "made from the finest ultra-cheap chinese plastic, with the sound quality of a half-squashed tin can, and all the bass response of a kazoo" turntable I had about then.

At least it's not currently giving me fits, but it definitely remains a puzzle...

I know the song. It was 60s or 70s. Very popular group. Ill figure it out in a moment

"Loves the world
except for all the

Forgot the quote, lol! See above

John lennon

Imagine

Try that one
Nope - definitely not. (I've always stood balanced on a razor-edge between mildly disliking, and outright despising that song - Though I'm sure it would be right up Russel's alley, what with his fixation on unicorns, rainbows, care-bears, and "we can fix all the problems of the world if we'd all just get together around the campfire and sing a few rounds of "Kum-bi-yah" crap...)

Besides that, the lyric I was hearing doesn't appear anywhere in it...

That would be part of the problem - I can't "get the music". All I can come up with is the lyrics being delivered, and the best way I can describe that is that they start on a high-ish note, and drop as the line progresses. All I'm getting out of google/bing/etc when I try punching it into a search is bible verses (John 3:16 is one of the most frequent, closely followed by John, 2:15 , neither of which are even remotely related other than having the words "love" and "world" in them) and what appear to be preachers' notes.

Y'know what's the most maddening part? The *EXACT INSTANT* I find out, assuming I do, I know damn-well it's gonna be a case of "Aw, shit - how could I have POSSIBLY not figured that out?!?!?" Wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out it's one of my personal favorites, but because I can't get it to "play past" the little I've got, I just can't pin it down.

There's definitely an 80s connection involved - Every time it "looped" on me, I had a flash of another 80s-related item - the video from Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf vid, Chess, "Down Under" by Men at Work, Tom Baker's Dr. Who scarf (We got Tom as the Doctor sometime in the mid-80s in my hometown - several years after he'd hung up his scarf in Britain, unless I've been misinformed) riding a bus to the store to pick up a carton of Kools (my brand back then), the smell of the beet piles blowing in from the Monitor Sugar plant, and perhaps the most vivid image of all, dropping a record album - yep, actual vinyl, nope, I can't visualize it clearly enough to read the label, though sometimes that works for me - onto a kiddie-grade "made from the finest ultra-cheap chinese plastic, with the sound quality of a half-squashed tin can, and all the bass response of a kazoo" turntable I had about then.

At least it's not currently giving me fits, but it definitely remains a puzzle...
I've exhausted my etched-in memory of my Dad's record collection, and I'm coming up empty. I'm sorry.
A possible cure: He played this horrid song called "Funkytown." Play it in a continuous loop all night and report back to us in the morning. I think it will work

Nice guess on the Duran Duran ;)
<clicks> That's it! And as predicted, a case of "How the hell didn't I figure that out myself?!?!?" It IS one of my favorites. A quirky tune, but it's got that "neat little beat", and it's just "twisted" enough to catch my attention :) Played it over and over and over again during the summer and early fall (which explains the association with the stink from Monitor Sugar) of '82, along with Hungry Like the Wolf, and Africa, and Joan Jett's cover of I Love Rock-n-Roll, and Elton's tribute to Lennon - "Empty Garden" - and so many more of the greats - many (most?) of them on the previously mentioned kiddie-stereo 'cause that's all that was available at the time.

Oh, the memories... <sigh> Now I'm starting to sound like the old geezer I'm getting to be. Somebody shoot me already!

Last edited:
I've exhausted my etched-in memory of my Dad's record collection, and I'm coming up empty. I'm sorry.
A possible cure: He played. this horrid song called "Funkytown." Play it in a continuous loop all night and report back to us in the morning. I think it will work
Ahhh, yes - Lipps, Inc. I'm thinking I'd rather floss my teeth with razor wire while gargling battery acid than *EVER* hear that abomination again, thanks!!!!

I've exhausted my I just went to my memory,tched-in memory of my Dad's record collection, and I'm coming up empty. I'm sorry.
A possible cure: He played this horrid song called "Funkytown." Play it in a continuous loop all night and report back to us in the morning. I think it will work

I just remember it but since I am a "stoner" it's probably a hallucination HAHA and not my actual memory. ;)

Back