(Ask) How to get close to dogs

Dodge543

Lurker
This is a question post. If it is posted in the wrong place, please tell me and I will delete it directly. I would like to ask netizens, what should I do to stop the dogs from being hostile and avoiding me, and to get closer to them.

The specific situation is as follows:
The group of dogs I want to get close to live near my hometown and are in a semi-free range state. I moved out when I was 10 years old and have not had much contact with them. When I grew up, I had the ability to return to my hometown often. Whenever I wanted to get close to the dogs, they would run away or bark at me (the ones that ran away were male dogs, and the ones that barked were usually female dogs )unwilling to approach me. I have brought food to them, but only a few of them just because the food will follow me. When I want to touch them, they run away. I don’t know how to get closer to them. Feeling very depressed now. Because I am studying abroad, I also want to have a better relationship with them when I go home for the next vacation, but now I don’t have enough time and good ways to change this situation that has been bothering me for a long time. (My English is not good, I translated the content of this inquiry post using Google. If anyone can’t understand it, please forgive me, thank you)

So, those dogs are either strays, or owned but not yours.

In the first case, avoid. Dogs can be unpredictable. You'll risk getting hurt badly.
2nd case, again, avoid. You don't have permission to interact with those dogs, so don't.

Those dogs are telling you to stay away from them.

Listen to them.

It would be a long road for an experienced dog trainer to gain the trust of dogs like that. Bloit is right. Also groups of dogs are more likely to chain react to each other's energy and that leads to mauling incidents.

Back