Are there zoosexuals in favor of the castration of animals?

Do you agree with castrating animals?

• No, that's awful

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Juan Lobo

Tourist
I, like many zoos, am against the castration of animals, but I am curious if there are any zoos in favor of the castration of animals.

I am in many scenarios, including population control and health reasons. As pet owners our responsibility should be to the health of the animal(s), and helping control overpopulation in strays, fosters, adoptions etc (which leads to death and disease) first. Keeping a pet intact in spite of health issues they face just for your own personal pleasure is abuse.

However those issues aside, no I am not for it "just because you're supposed to". A responsible pet owner should control their own animal to prevent unwanted breeding of other dogs.

I wouldn't say I necessarily support it but it is very important to do in many instances especially with stray animals.

I am fine with having the option, and will likely make use if it if circumstances made it advisable.

I am against *compulsory* neutering and biased information to push people into it (as in everything will be better, there are zero negative affects)
It should be something to offer and something the owner should be able to decide.

Examples: Dogs who always escape when females around are in heat, females that might get puppies because of wandering dogs, behavioural issues that could not be solved by other means...

The only circumstance where castration is acceptable is, when you would also castrate a human.

You do not castrate humans to get them more docile.

You don't castrate humans because they are homeless.

You don't castrate humans to prevent unwanted breeding.

"Not unless medically required", possibly "behaviorally" within narrow parameters to minimize its tendency to be used as a "lazy" option, but your question is very wide-ranging and not confined to "pets", of course. For example, are you referring only to physical castration rather than chemical castration of pigs using Improvac to minimise boar taint in those countries where they're not slaughtered young? (Bit of a catch-22, that...).

The only circumstance where castration is acceptable is, when you would also castrate a human.

You do not castrate humans to get them more docile.

You don't castrate humans because they are homeless.

You don't castrate humans to prevent unwanted breeding.
If Animals were capable of making the decision to have sex for pleasure, or prevent unwanted breeding, you would have an argument.

If Animals were capable of making the decision to have sex for pleasure, or prevent unwanted breeding, you would have an argument.
We are capable of making the decision to have sex for pleasure or prevent unwanted breeding, yet we still multiply uncontrollable, and all most any child is an "accident"

Yes. For the sole reason that most pet owners, even zoos, are neglectful, abusive and deplorable owners.
Reiterated, most not all. only health tested and proven dogs need to be bred. No, not everyone needs a show dog but buying the 500 euro Frenchie from Ted next door instead of the 1500 euro Frenchie that has a paper trail for miles is abuse, stupid and irresponsible. Ted did not test his dog for genetic defects and diseases, he did not do any sports or work to prove intelligence. All he has is a dog that is a off standard color and his wife thinks it's her baby.
Obesity is abuse, long nails are abuse, buying high energy dogs like huskies and malinois to be couch companions or left alone all day to eat your couch out of boredom is abuse. The dogs in shelters come from people buying dogs they cannot handle from people who only care about money. The dogs in shelters come from the abundance of litters produced daily because owners did not watch their dogs, did not sterilise them and thought they could charge $2000 for a chicockerbernedoodle retriever because its never been done before.
Facebook posts by idiots that are stolen from Finnish Lapphund breeder pages and labeled as a cute breed mix name like pomsky just to create the buzz. Abuse.
Out of 1000 pet owners, only one would be responsible enough to keep their pet from breeding. I've seen plenty of posts here of people showing off litters their dogs had. Way to add more mutts to the world that are spreading genetic diseases and drug resistant conditions like MDR1. This is why responsible breeding matters.

Yes. For the sole reason that most pet owners, even zoos, are neglectful, abusive and deplorable owners.
Reiterated, most not all. only health tested and proven dogs need to be bred. No, not everyone needs a show dog but buying the 500 euro Frenchie from Ted next door instead of the 1500 euro Frenchie that has a paper trail for miles is abuse, stupid and irresponsible. Ted did not test his dog for genetic defects and diseases, he did not do any sports or work to prove intelligence. All he has is a dog that is a off standard color and his wife thinks it's her baby.
Obesity is abuse, long nails are abuse, buying high energy dogs like huskies and malinois to be couch companions or left alone all day to eat your couch out of boredom is abuse. The dogs in shelters come from people buying dogs they cannot handle from people who only care about money. The dogs in shelters come from the abundance of litters produced daily because owners did not watch their dogs, did not sterilise them and thought they could charge $2000 for a chicockerbernedoodle retriever because its never been done before.
Facebook posts by idiots that are stolen from Finnish Lapphund breeder pages and labeled as a cute breed mix name like pomsky just to create the buzz. Abuse.
Out of 1000 pet owners, only one would be responsible enough to keep their pet from breeding. I've seen plenty of posts here of people showing off litters their dogs had. Way to add more mutts to the world that are spreading genetic diseases and drug resistant conditions like MDR1. This is why responsible breeding matters.
So it's clearly the animals fault, let's chop of its genitals!

So it's clearly the animals fault, let's chop of its genitals!
Relax. The animal doesn't notice or care. It has no concept of it. It's not the animals fault but the people force this way onto the animals. That is how most laws are made. Some idiot was irresponsible with a gun and now we have gun laws and safety measures in place for everyone to avoid the idiots fuckign things up again.
If the animal's cared their balls and uterus was gone, I think they'd make a bigger deal of it but they do not notice. Only humans have the unnatural obsession with their genitals.

It all depends..if you need to castrate your animal due to medical concerns then yes you should do it to preserve the overall health of the animal. In general no they should not be...or if someone wants to at least wait until the animal has fully developed that way their development cycle is not stunted.

I have a dog and I have no plans on fixing him. <3

The most accurate post I have ever seen on here

depends on the lifestyle of the animal i think. if their owner is not a zoo and doesn’t want their town to be full of baby animals without a home that eventually have to be put down, i think it’s alright.

Relax. The animal doesn't notice or care. It has no concept of it. It's not the animals fault but the people force this way onto the animals. That is how most laws are made. Some idiot was irresponsible with a gun and now we have gun laws and safety measures in place for everyone to avoid the idiots fuckign things up again.
If the animal's cared their balls and uterus was gone, I think they'd make a bigger deal of it but they do not notice. Only humans have the unnatural obsession with their genitals.

It seems to me that people on here have this false conception that animals feel any sort of distress for being snipped (a lot of zoos tend to over-anthropomorphize dogs in particular I've noticed). They don't realize nor are they bothered by it. I would know, my dog is missing his and is clearly oblivious to that fact.

Dogs and other animals being neutered is an inconvenience to me for obvious reasons but I believe it's necessary for shelters and such to do so. And owners who can't keep their animals from getting pregnant shouldn't own intact animals.

Strays or medically necessary, absolutely. Otherwise... I can't really think of any other reason to erase all that beautiful genetic material from the world. Let me drink it instead!

Castrating animals won't protect them from irresponsible owners. Responsible breeders should only give puppies to responsible people. If they do that, your argument for castrating the animal is gone.

Ok. Lets draw this out of the zoo and sex issue, so we can see it in perspective?

There are a lot of dog bites, both to other dogs and to people, mainly because some people fail to educate or control their dog, but it causes damages, even deaths.

So. How about we defang dogs? They no longer need fangs to hunt because they eat kibble. It will not affect their health and they will not really notice it. Much less than being muzzled, and it will still be the same dog.

We will avoid a lot of troubles and accidents and they will live a happier life because we can let them play knowing a comfrontation will be quite less gruesome.

So. Good idea? Terrible idea?

Castrating animals won't protect them from irresponsible owners. Responsible breeders should only give puppies to responsible people. If they do that, your argument for castrating the animal is gone.
That is true. But until only responsible breeders remain, castration is necessary. Meanwhile puppy mills and pet stores exist. Joe next door can get a dog from the pet store and breed it to anything. Pet stores sell to anyone who has the money. Those dogs are not quality at all. The price pet stores charge is a rip off for what shoppers get. It's like going to a Gucci store and buying a knock off at full retail.

in a perfect world where no pitbull goes hungry i say no. The biggest thing is that every pet that anyone has ever had since the beginning of time gets loose and is lost for a week. ! wwek or a distracted owner at a dog park, they will find a way

It's situational. I'd say for anyone here, regarding your own dog? Feel free to pass, just know that owning an intact male means extra responsibility. You must keep them from getting free... There is also a growing trend/realization in the vet community that their early neuter/spay programs have done more harm than they once thought. If you are neutering a large breed now, any responsible vet will tell you to wait at least 18 months, with 24-32 being more ideal.

For livestock? I've personally whipped off so many balls I'm just numb to it now lol. Bulls, horses, goats, and pigs all benefit from it.

I am against compulsory “fixing” on the same level I am of MGM and FGM. They are abhorrent and should only happen when absolutely medically necessary.

I wish i was uncut, and I firmly believe that if I had a male dog who suddenly woke up without balls, he would be as pissed, and then depressed, as I would be. Not to mention the health ramifications.

Yeah I think the vets here are going to agree that spaying and nutering is probably a positive thing in some ways.

Back