Any advice on introducing another male dog to my other male?

ZooDogLover320

Citizen of Zooville
My older pup is intact male and smaller, I will be (emergency) adopting a male GSD mix roughly 10 months old also intact... if all goes well, we would have plenty of fun. If it doesn't, well, I have another home he can go to.

My initial plans are to keep the new boy in his kennel allowing current dog to free roam and get used to his scent. For the first few days. He is not dog aggressive and actually gets along fine at the dog park. New dog is also a properly socialized puppy.

I am afraid to ever leave them alone... a big gsd mix could seriously fuck up my older love of my life...

Also add I do not intend to have any sexual encounters with new dog until it is clear he is free of disease and up to date on shots (previous home wasnt ideal)
any advice?

Checking for sign of aggression in either of them is important then respond from there. I had a problem with my pit mix as he was getting older and another older male dog I had. They were super friendly with each other for a few months then started getting more agressive. Having them get used to each others scents is good. I also recommend getting them to eat near each other often. Like put their food bowels on different sides of a door and let them smell each other while they eat. Sometimes it just takes time slowly getting them introduced to each other and if problems do occur separate them and slowly reintegrate.

Dogs understand a chain of command. As long as he knows his place with you as the pack leader, shouldn't matter.

Just watch it as he grows older.

Dogs understand a chain of command. As long as he knows his place with you as the pack leader, shouldn't matter.
I'm not so sure about that especially when leaving them alone. Being around can definitely be a good deterrent for fighting(unless your dogs display resource guarding/jealousy), but it doesn't mean much when you are gone.

I'm not so sure about that especially when leaving them alone. Being around can definitely be a good deterrent for fighting(unless your dogs display resource guarding/jealousy), but it doesn't mean much when you are gone.
They will be in kennels or (smaller dog with me) as much as possible when I'm not around. Im being super paranoid about it. I love the new pup, but my old love safety comes first.

Back