Adopting a Male Intact Dog

It’s hard to find any info on this, but for people who have or have had an intact male dog, how did you get it? Seems like no matter how you try to adopt, you get them after they’ve been neutered.

Yes and yes.
1st one should be obvious. For the 2nd one you should travel back in time, hope to be be born a knotty lady, and enjoy giving neutered doggies the magic touch.

Getting an intact dog from a rescue/shelter situation is very close to impossible, and gets closer to it every day. A big (sarcastic) thanks to Bob Barker, Betty White, and similar folks for that...

You want an intact dog without a show-dog price tag, you're going to have to go to a backyard breeder, or befriend/take in a neighborhood (nobody says it has to be YOUR neighborhood... just do your research so that if you do "go hunting" that way, you're not actually swiping somebody's dog) stray. Prices on intact animals are going through the roof lately, it seems - I just about shit a brick the other day when I saw an ad in the local "a couple news stories and 13.7 bajillion ads" freebie rag: boil out the flowery shit, and they were offering "just in time for Xmas" lab/shep cross mother, "unknown, suspect pit bull down the block" father mutt puppies at $1800 each. I wonder how many of those they'll have left by Xmas...

Shelters here castrate as soon as they pick up a dog, no matter the age. Even if they don’t have space, they pick up street strays, castrate them, and release them back into the streets. Most of the castrations are done by newly graduated vets (some do disasters, I saw one cut the femoral artery of a female by accident instead of cutting the left flank to access the ovaries)

Getting an intact dog from a rescue/shelter situation is very close to impossible, and gets closer to it every day. A big (sarcastic) thanks to Bob Barker, Betty White, and similar folks for that...

You want an intact dog without a show-dog price tag, you're going to have to go to a backyard breeder, or befriend/take in a neighborhood (nobody says it has to be YOUR neighborhood... just do your research so that if you do "go hunting" that way, you're not actually swiping somebody's dog) stray. Prices on intact animals are going through the roof lately, it seems - I just about shit a brick the other day when I saw an ad in the local "a couple news stories and 13.7 bajillion ads" freebie rag: boil out the flowery shit, and they were offering "just in time for Xmas" lab/shep cross mother, "unknown, suspect pit bull down the block" father mutt puppies at $1800 each. I wonder how many of those they'll have left by Xmas...

It's only going to get worse. Eventually in the next 50 years (probably even sooner) dogs won't exist and if they do only the extremely fucking rich can own one.

Just want to clarify, regarding craigslist.
Craigslist is a very good affordable option, but PLEASE only adopt an animal that someone needs to rehome.

Too many backyard breeders on craigslist just trying to make a quick buck, often at the animal's expense.
Regardless of how cute that puppy may be, please try to avoid financially supporting these people.

Our boy, castrated now, but was intact when we adopted him. Shelters are typically last resort, there are other ways of fostering and adopting a dog that don't involve them. I would direct you toward breed specific rescues, typically they're operated by folks with a passion for the breed and are more concerned about getting dogs into good homes. Our boy came from a very small rescue, pretty much a one-person show which does some amazing work getting dogs from point A, where they can't be, to point B where they will hopefully spend the remainder of their days, happy.

Microchipped? Aren't breeder dogs the only dogs microchipped because of their cost?

Also if labradors are #6 in popularity, I wonder what numbers #1-5 are. I see the lab as the most common dog, apart from strays

All three of mine which have come from shelters have been chipped at the shelter. Seems to be standard in US as well

I purchased my dog from a reputable breeder. Very much worth the price. His breeder had a nice contract & health guarantee, health testing on all dogs in the pedigree, and 20yrs of experience with the breed.

That being said I do understand it's not possible for everyone to afford a well bred dog. But I would be wary of Craigslist breeders / backyard breeders

I was looking at online classifieds and was on my way to get a King Shepherd and was called and told not to come he was sold. I immediately pulled over and started down the list of available dogs and came to an ad for German Shepherd with no picture and the price was free, I had bypassed this ad many times on my search. I was alot closer than I would've been if it wasn't for the other deal going south so I called the guy up and was able to come see him right away. I new the moment a laid eyes on Max he was my dog. He was tied up in the garage while other dogs roamed free I think he may have bitten one of the guys daughters or something and that's why they we're getting rid of him but I never asked. Turned out to be my best friend and the most well behaved dog I've ever met.

I managed to get my intact male German Shepherd from Craigslist. It was the standard they bought the puppy from a breeder, he got too big so they gave him away. The guy they gave him to ended up in jail so the puppy went to his ex wife. She had about 4 female huskys who didn’t like males. So she put him up on Craigslist for $75. I thought I was the luckiest person in the world. Come to find out, although I love my boy to death, he’s the only intact male dog in the world that isn’t interested in sex at all. I can barely get him to react at all when I jerk him. He doesn’t mount, he doesn’t hump, nothing. Just my fuckin luck. Sex aside, hes still my best friend. Loyal and friendly, but protective. Definitely check Craigslist, try to join groups on Facebook. There are things popping up all the time. Hell, try going to the city and picking up a stray. It’s a gamble but you never know. I’ve seen a couple intact males roaming the city and if I had own place, I’d probably have 10 dogs by now.

I have a great interest in great danes. Finding any for sale that arnt required by some type of contract to be neutered 8s proving impossible! Like holy heck how on earth do these people think it's ok to just mutilate animals like this. I'm fully flabbergasted. They say its healthier for them. I'm sorry but I will never buy that reasoning.

I managed to get my intact male German Shepherd from Craigslist. It was the standard they bought the puppy from a breeder, he got too big so they gave him away. The guy they gave him to ended up in jail so the puppy went to his ex wife. She had about 4 female huskys who didn’t like males. So she put him up on Craigslist for $75. I thought I was the luckiest person in the world. Come to find out, although I love my boy to death, he’s the only intact male dog in the world that isn’t interested in sex at all. I can barely get him to react at all when I jerk him. He doesn’t mount, he doesn’t hump, nothing. Just my fuckin luck. Sex aside, hes still my best friend. Loyal and friendly, but protective. Definitely check Craigslist, try to join groups on Facebook. There are things popping up all the time. Hell, try going to the city and picking up a stray. It’s a gamble but you never know. I’ve seen a couple intact males roaming the city and if I had own place, I’d probably have 10 dogs by now.
I've known a male dog like that. One day he came across a bitch in heat and that seemed to unlock something in his mind and after that he was very willing for sex stuff. The problem is getting heat scents, but seems like something to try.

I have a great interest in great danes. Finding any for sale that arnt required by some type of contract to be neutered 8s proving impossible! Like holy heck how on earth do these people think it's ok to just mutilate animals like this. I'm fully flabbergasted. They say its healthier for them. I'm sorry but I will never buy that reasoning.

Totally agree with you
Seems to be very common in North America. This is something very unusual in Scandinavia.

I was able to find a dane breeder that actually stated in their contract not to neuter or spay for 2 years of their life, after that do what you will.

It really is ridiculous. I mean our lifestyle only makes it that much more infuriating. But even if I wasn’t zoo, I still don’t believe in spay/neutering. And it gets so frustrating trying to find an unaltered dog anywhere. Shelters are a no. Most breeders make you sign a neuter contract so you can’t spread their precious lines. And a few breeders will charge you an extra $1000 for breeding rights when you don’t even want to breed them. Your best bet honestly is an accidental liter or Craigslist. Sometimes there are dumb rich people who buy a $5000 pup and can’t keep it and just want to find it a new home. In the case of my boy, a couple bought him from a lesser known GSD breeder for $1200. The puppy outgrew their apartment(haven’t heard that one before) and the rehomed him to a guy named Mike. Idk how much Mike paid but shortly after Mike landed him self in jail. His 2 dogs, a female Husky and my male GSD went to his ex wife, who already had 4 female shepherds. She couldn’t keep em and put them up on Craigslist for $75 each. I was lucky enough to contact her in time and managed to get my boy. Supposedly he’s AKC but the papers are missing and I don’t really care. Still can’t find the breeder though. That’s just my story. Sometimes as terrible as it is, you just gotta be patient and get lucky.

I've known a male dog like that. One day he came across a bitch in heat and that seemed to unlock something in his mind and after that he was very willing for sex stuff. The problem is getting heat scents, but seems like something to try.
That’s what I’m really hoping. Like really hoping. Trying to get a bitch of my own soon so fingers crossed.

It really is ridiculous. I mean our lifestyle only makes it that much more infuriating. But even if I wasn’t zoo, I still don’t believe in spay/neutering. And it gets so frustrating trying to find an unaltered dog anywhere. Shelters are a no. Most breeders make you sign a neuter contract so you can’t spread their precious lines. And a few breeders will charge you an extra $1000 for breeding rights when you don’t even want to breed them. Your best bet honestly is an accidental liter or Craigslist. Sometimes there are dumb rich people who buy a $5000 pup and can’t keep it and just want to find it a new home. In the case of my boy, a couple bought him from a lesser known GSD breeder for $1200. The puppy outgrew their apartment(haven’t heard that one before) and the rehomed him to a guy named Mike. Idk how much Mike paid but shortly after Mike landed him self in jail. His 2 dogs, a female Husky and my male GSD went to his ex wife, who already had 4 female shepherds. She couldn’t keep em and put them up on Craigslist for $75 each. I was lucky enough to contact her in time and managed to get my boy. Supposedly he’s AKC but the papers are missing and I don’t really care. Still can’t find the breeder though. That’s just my story. Sometimes as terrible as it is, you just gotta be patient and get lucky.
It is truly insane. Abd really craigslist? I've heard so many horror stories.. I guess worst case I meet anpgysco path best case I meat my soul mate haha. I'll give it a go. And agreed fully. It has nothing to do with my sexual orientation purely morals really.

It is truly insane. Abd really craigslist? I've heard so many horror stories.. I guess worst case I meet anpgysco path best case I meat my soul mate haha. I'll give it a go. And agreed fully. It has nothing to do with my sexual orientation purely morals really.
I mean it is a gamble. It’s not the dangerous, you’re gonna get murdered trying to sell your couch website that is used to be portrayed as. Now, pet wise, it’s mostly good hearted people, a few scammers, and people trying to start a dumb business like buying junk cars. Those people will literally have a paragraph of tags 3000 words long. You try to search anything their dumb post comes out. But if you can filter through that, there are always people with accidental litters and who found themselves in a tough situation and need to find a home for their dog. I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this, but if you look in certain cities and towns, and you know which one those are, you can guaranty that there’s intact dogs available. Let’s just say that the lower income cities generally have more intact dogs.

I mean it is a gamble. It’s not the dangerous, you’re gonna get murdered trying to sell your couch website that is used to be portrayed as. Now, pet wise, it’s mostly good hearted people, a few scammers, and people trying to start a dumb business like buying junk cars. Those people will literally have a paragraph of tags 3000 words long. You try to search anything their dumb post comes out. But if you can filter through that, there are always people with accidental litters and who found themselves in a tough situation and need to find a home for their dog. I don’t want to offend anyone by saying this, but if you look in certain cities and towns, and you know which one those are, you can guaranty that there’s intact dogs available. Let’s just say that the lower income cities generally have more intact dogs.
Fascinating to know! That is actually very reassuring to hear. After I go through school I fully intend on improving my life with a canine in my life and hearing that there is hope for my dreams is well wonderful. I must say it is so weird to talk so openly.

Theres only one other websight I belong to were I'm open about it and nobody there can wrap there minds about it. Most see it as a moral grey area wich is a start. But this is just so freeing. I am so beyond this websight exists. It's just wow. Just this feels good. I'm sorry I just idk needed to ramble haha

Fascinating to know! That is actually very reassuring to hear. After I go through school I fully intend on improving my life with a canine in my life and hearing that there is hope for my dreams is well wonderful. I must say it is so weird to talk so openly.

Theres only one other websight I belong to were I'm open about it and nobody there can wrap there minds about it. Most see it as a moral grey area wich is a start. But this is just so freeing. I am so beyond this websight exists. It's just wow. Just this feels good. I'm sorry I just idk needed to ramble haha
Ramble on my friend, get it out. I’m suffer from pretty bad social anxiety and have always had a hard time making friends and talking about personal things. I don’t have any friends irl who know about me being zoo and really don’t have any online either. But this site is a godsend for us. It really is. It’s so freeing to be able to talk to likeminded people without the fear of rejection. Feel free to message me anytime!

Back