A conundrum

Roxxi

Zooville Settler
I have been away for quite sometime stopping by ever so often to read forum post. A couple months a go I was in a rather sever car accident. I will spare you all the details but I will say that it left me with a shattered ankle torn tendons in my knee and herniated two disk in my back! I have been in fairly rough shape to say the least and I am still recovering. The rub of it though is that it has caused me to face a reality that I had not really thought about before this accident. Being as I am dog exclusive and literally live by myself and my 5 dogs taking care of them in the state I am in has been a real challenge. I am not talking about the sex oddly enough they seem to understand that I am hurt and havn't pestered me really at all for a piece of ass. It is the actuall taking care of them part that I am struggling with carrying bags of dog food and the like. My cousin comes by to check on us every couple of days but I am facing a reality of what happens when I get older ? or even worse what happens if I don't recover enough to take care of them ? while I love my dogs and it being just us it is a scarey thought. I guess I am just thinking out loud in the face of such a life altering event but what do you all think ? you all think about the future like that ever ? like what f I die, what happens to them ? What happens if I get into a postion where i can't even take care of myself ?

This is a pretty common issue, with a number of solutions limited only by your creative thinking, but for many of us we seek out other people to include in our lives. I've lived with friends for most of my life for mutual advantage, most have not been aware of my relationship with my dogs, some have.

Shit, I'm sorry that happened! :( Are you going to be okay? I hope so!

Some people rely on friends and family (but not everyone has that). In your case, you have a cousin that checks up on you, perhaps you have some extended family you could live with?

If worse comes to worse, perhaps consider living in a home for the disabled, maybe a group home? As for the dogs, do you have anyone who may be interested in taking care of them if you can't? Just throwing a few ideas out there...

Shit, I hope you get better. Can't even imagine what you're going through right now...

I have a relative who's 85, can't walk without a walker, clinically obese, diabetes. Has 2 dogs and a cat and just bought a puppy. I, as is most of the family, are seething and a several shared their concerns with her. It's cruel and selfish. She has companions, and if she needs or wants additional companions there are plenty of wonderful adult displaced critters available for adoption. This will be an emotional trauma for the animal and whoever has to become responsible for the animal's future when the inevitable day arrives for her.

I personally have decided recently that after my current passes I will not get another for this same situation.

Shit, I'm sorry that happened! :( Are you going to be okay? I hope so!

Some people rely on friends and family (but not everyone has that). In your case, you have a cousin that checks up on you, perhaps you have some extended family you could live with?

If worse comes to worse, perhaps consider living in a home for the disabled, maybe a group home? As for the dogs, do you have anyone who may be interested in taking care of them if you can't? Just throwing a few ideas out there...

Shit, I hope you get better. Can't even imagine what you're going through right now...

I am not sure. as I have never been hurt quite this bad before. Hopefully I don't have to have another surgery and the two disk in my back heal with the physical therapy. Thank you for the concern and the ideas. Though none of them are quite appealing. It has filled me with the resolve to at least get firmly back on my feet and fully independent again and go from there. redrock'ys idea might seem like the kinder choice. After my current dogs pass I may not choose to be with more.

The world is changing all around us. The golden age of the independent man who makes it on his own is coming to an end. The global economy is slowly collapsing. The world is slowly changing back to the way it used to be for many generations. I don't know too many people who are independent. They either have a partner, live with a family member, or have a roommate. The truth is that I would be homeless were it not for family. I am slowly trying to improve my situation.

Every person is different. I respect everyone's lifestyle choices. Personally, I could not be Zoo exclusive. I would still miss being around other human beings, and I simply cannot afford it. There are people around me to take in my furry loved ones should something happen to me. Roxxi, I don't know what the right path is for you to take, but maybe you should start exploring different options in your life. I am sorry about what you are going through. I know that you must be going through a lot of pain. I do hope something will pan out for you. We are here to talk to.

The world is changing all around us. The golden age of the independent man who makes it on his own is coming to an end.

I think that is largely a myth. From the ancient Greeks to more modern times, a common lament is the struggle for relative independence. Thoreau, from the mid 1800's dedicates a significant portion of Walden to the topic, Cato touches on it in de Agricultura, the list is long and stretches back into pre-history.

The global economy is slowly collapsing. The world is slowly changing back to the way it used to be for many generations. I don't know too many people who are independent. They either have a partner, live with a family member, or have a roommate. The truth is that I would be homeless were it not for family. I am slowly trying to improve my situation.
It's a common situation for most people, so don't take it too hard. I have found that sometimes one needs to make changes in behavior to make the process easier; for me it was keeping better track of my accounts and tracking it all in earnest. It allowed me to see where I could more easily trim here and there to effect real changes; for you it might be something different.

Every person is different. I respect everyone's lifestyle choices. Personally, I could not be Zoo exclusive. I would still miss being around other human beings, and I simply cannot afford it. There are people around me to take in my furry loved ones should something happen to me. Roxxi, I don't know what the right path is for you to take, but maybe you should start exploring different options in your life. I am sorry about what you are going through. I know that you must be going through a lot of pain. I do hope something will pan out for you. We are here to talk to.
I am zoo exclusive and I live with others, I just don't have sex with them. With my current partner, I love them dearly as a friend, but the personal side of my relationship is with the dogs. Again, doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me.

A situation like this is why a living will is a good investment. It'll dictate your preferred outcome in regards to the animals future. contacting a local no-kill shelter -or better, a sanctuary- may be necessary if your an older zoo, just so that someone can be notified and aware should the worse happen. It would be ideal to have some local zoo friends, or friends-of-zoos to be aware of the animals specific needs and interests.
That's kind of why a place like this is great, because if it gets to the point were their care can't be managed safely by a relative,either due to discovery or something else, you can have a network trying to help find resources.

I have been away for quite sometime stopping by ever so often to read forum post. A couple months a go I was in a rather sever car accident. I will spare you all the details but I will say that it left me with a shattered ankle torn tendons in my knee and herniated two disk in my back! I have been in fairly rough shape to say the least and I am still recovering. The rub of it though is that it has caused me to face a reality that I had not really thought about before this accident. Being as I am dog exclusive and literally live by myself and my 5 dogs taking care of them in the state I am in has been a real challenge. I am not talking about the sex oddly enough they seem to understand that I am hurt and havn't pestered me really at all for a piece of ass. It is the actuall taking care of them part that I am struggling with carrying bags of dog food and the like. My cousin comes by to check on us every couple of days but I am facing a reality of what happens when I get older ? or even worse what happens if I don't recover enough to take care of them ? while I love my dogs and it being just us it is a scarey thought. I guess I am just thinking out loud in the face of such a life altering event but what do you all think ? you all think about the future like that ever ? like what f I die, what happens to them ? What happens if I get into a postion where i can't even take care of myself ?
Thats so sweet. I see alot of owners that see animals as a commodity rather than companions. Try not to worry but i do completly see your point. Can you arrange delivery of supplies till you feel better? Try not to be so focused on the far future and live in the moment, appreciate what you have now rather than what you might not have in the future. Take care and I hope u get better soon! Tony

Hi
We all think about those situations! I been there with a life threating incident that barely recovered from! First don't give up. Replace those thoughts on positive thoughts and you are going to recover.
If some other situation arose about your health, a simple post here and there would be hundreds of people providing homes for your dogs!
If you need help please PM me!

Thank you for the kind words. It creeps by getting better day by day. Tho now my doctor has put me on muscle relaxers called flexiril. The other night I took them before going to bed and was awoke to my dogs whinning and pawing at me. I slumped out of my bed to see what the fussing was about and realized due to being messed up on these pills I had forgotten to feed them :( I am hoping to get threw this with out having to have a surgery to correct it but if I start neglecting my dogs I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it. I also don't want to have to be dependent on drugs.

Thank you for the kind words. It creeps by getting better day by day. Tho now my doctor has put me on muscle relaxers called flexiril. The other night I took them before going to bed and was awoke to my dogs whinning and pawing at me. I slumped out of my bed to see what the fussing was about and realized due to being messed up on these pills I had forgotten to feed them :( I am hoping to get threw this with out having to have a surgery to correct it but if I start neglecting my dogs I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it. I also don't want to have to be dependent on drugs.
You need to make arrangements for others to take care of your animals if anything happens to you. Obviously you got a reality check with the accident being the red flag.
Set an alarm clock on your cell phone to determine feeding times and what not.
On a side note.....go vegan....you'll have better KARMA.

The beauty of dogs they are resilient and a thousand more times forgiving than human!

You need to make arrangements for others to take care of your animals if anything happens to you. Obviously you got a reality check with the accident being the red flag.
Set an alarm clock on your cell phone to determine feeding times and what not.
On a side note.....go vegan....you'll have better KARMA.
yes to the first two, nooooooo. to the 3rd, lol.

As you get older you could consider reducing the number of animals you care for and arrange for their care in the event you can no longer do it yourself. You could hire somebody to help with chores and such, or you could find a roommate. That’s my plan in ~30 years.

Back