Zooville Feedback and bug reporting thread.

Only positive thing is that a DDOS attack ‘just’ is blocking access to ZV but doesn’t enter the system, so our posts are not touched.

Only positive thing is that a DDOS attack ‘just’ is blocking access to ZV but doesn’t enter the system, so our posts are not touched.
Hopefully there will be database backups every now and then, so just a few hours/days of posts will be lost.

Good to delete any personal info in your PM thought...

Is it possible to have a character counter on profile page comments?

As anyone would know who's seen my post in threads I tend to get carried away with my words count, so I'm always going over the 420 character limit, even when I try to limit what I'm saying. But when I get the error message the comment is to big, I don't know short of counting the characters by hand, if I'm a little over or I need to take a fire axe to the whole thing and rewrite it all differently to squeeze it into the Character limit.

I'm also guessing emojis uses more than one characters so my :gsd_happysmile: is probably counted as : gsd _ happysmile : or 16 characters, is this correct?

As anyone would know who's seen my post in threads I tend to get carried away with my words count, so I'm always going over the 420 character limit, even when I try to limit what I'm saying. But when I get the error message the comment is to big, I don't know short of counting the characters by hand, if I'm a little over or I need to take a fire axe to the whole thing and rewrite it all differently to squeeze it into the Character limit.

I'm also guessing emojis uses more than one characters so my :gsd_happysmile: is probably counted as : gsd _ happysmile : or 16 characters, is this correct?
I used to write a lot of long entries on my profile comments section. I used an online word processing program, but I don't know if a link to it is allowed. It's a simple one, and very nimble. Keeps a constant count of words and characters very nicely. If you go over-count, you can tailor your piece to the word count, then just paste it to the ZV text box. I used it for a year, no problems, but use your VPN. They don't have any rules or anything. Just delete it from their page before you leave it, it they'll save it for your convenience.
I know I'm allowed to PM the link to you. Shall I?

Yes, any characters in bold, italics or comprising all caps in a word all count as multiple characters. Spaces count as characters, as does any punctuation. I never used emojis, but I'm sure they're multiple characters as well. Skipped spaces between lines is multiple characters.

I used to write a lot of long entries on my profile comments section. I used an online word processing program, but I don't know if a link to it is allowed. It's a simple one, and very nimble. Keeps a constant count of words and characters very nicely. If you go over-count, you can tailor your piece to the word count, then just paste it to the ZV text box. I used it for a year, no problems, but use your VPN. They don't have any rules or anything. Just delete it from their page before you leave it, it they'll save it for your convenience.
I know I'm allowed to PM the link to you. Shall I?
Thank you that would be kind, I'm not really sure I want to be typing anything vaguely zooey on an online service, but I guess if the option is there it might be worth having. I was hoping though that since the system is obviously counting characters to know if I am over my allotment that it could run the test periodically if not count every keystroke or emoji creation etc. in real time as happens on other sites like InkBunny and AO3.

Thank you that would be kind, I'm not really sure I want to be typing anything vaguely zooey on an online service, but I guess if the option is there it might be worth having. I was hoping though that since the system is obviously counting characters to know if I am over my allotment that it could run the test periodically if not count every keystroke or emoji creation etc. in real time as happens on other sites like InkBunny and AO3.
I am confused about this 420 character limit.
It can’t be in all threads, because I have read many much longer stories, some of them at least 10 pages text in each post.
I guess this only happens in certain threads, or it was happening in your first posts, where there exists some restriction, and you then think it is still active ?

I am confused about this 420 character limit.
It can’t be in all threads, because I have read many much longer stories, some of them at least 10 pages text in each post.
I guess this only happens in certain threads, or it was happening in your first posts, where there exists some restriction, and you then think it is still active ?
The 420 character limit is only on profile posts and your signature. Otherwise every other post is virtually limitless when it comes to character count. Although I've been begging @ZTHorse to limit it to no more than 30k characters for every post due to spam reasons.

The 420 character limit is only on profile posts and your signature. Otherwise every other post is virtually limitless when it comes to character count. Although I've been begging @ZTHorse to limit it to no more than 30k characters for every post due to spam reasons.
There is a reason that the character limit is

Hehe.

There is a reason that the character limit is

Hehe.
I understand why there is a 420 character limit, I'm just asking for some user feedback so I know how many characters I've used up, especially if emoji's and formating are also stealing the blooming things in a hard to know amount. If I've worded something a particular way to be polite or humorous and I have to guess how much I am over budget by, from one character to x characters, it can waste a lot of time trying to crop anything I can a bit at a time; till the thing meets the limit and hoping I haven't destroyed the tone of what I was saying.

It would just make the site more usable in this respect, but if it's to hard to implement or you don't want to for what ever reason just say so. It's just something I have found useful at times on other sites.

Thank you for at least considering the idea.

The member Jilal 2 says he's banned. I don't know if that's a bug problem or really banned... how could I confirm to let him know?

Yes but last night my time (AEST) I couldn't load any pages not the main one, not the link you just provided, not even the most low level page like the peanut butter thread in fun and games. Nothing was coming up at all, it just said "Page could not be loaded" for every page on the site I had a bookmark for or was in my history. I still have no idea why the peanut butter thread was in my history though that was strange, maybe the dog was using the computer again, but he usually leaves evidence on the keyboard.

Yes but last night my time (AEST) I couldn't load any pages not the main one, not the link you just provided, not even the most low level page like the peanut butter thread in fun and games. Nothing was coming up at all, it just said "Page could not be loaded" for every page on the site I had a bookmark for or was in my history. I still have no idea why the peanut butter thread was in my history though that was strange, maybe the dog was using the computer again, but he usually leaves evidence on the keyboard.
It was down for me as well, and doing some odd stuff with the history on my end too.

Yeah I had the same problem I couldn’t log in for a few days I thought the site was hacked or shut down.
The site IS being hacked as in DDos'ed to try to pull it down.
It is usually the case the server goes down entirely as in this episode. We are lucky as this seems a die hard setup that only main page is sometimes overloaded.

As @pes said somewhere... imagine all the money someone is spending for what is mostly an annoyance

It is usually the case the server goes down entirely as in this episode. We are lucky as this seems a die hard setup that only main page is sometimes overloaded.

As @pes said somewhere... imagine all the money someone is spending for what is mostly an annoyance
Maybe they've been reading the Zeta Chronicles Comic, that publication was rumoured by some to be going to bring the sky down on us all. But whatever the reason they started these attacks lets hope they run out of money soon and we can get back to business as usual.

Maybe they've been reading the Zeta Chronicles Comic, that publication was rumoured by some to be going to bring the sky down on us all. But whatever the reason they started these attacks lets hope they run out of money soon and we can get back to business as usual.
Interesting idea. Would be cool to know whether the world saving comic was behind this. :D

Thanks for the update. We can only continue to kill them with kindness and have a site full of amazing people and sharing great stories and insights. Thank you for all the work you do from our family to yours

Back