Why are certain breeds almost universally loved by zoos?

This is something I've wondered for a long time. It seems like a strong majority of people prefer a select few breeds of dog, and I always wondered why. To list a few of them, German Shepherds, Huskys, Great Danes, and well, generally big dogs are the most popular. I personally am just not attracted to smaller dogs, irrelevant of being able to engage in sex with them, and I feel like I'm not alone. Do most of you just not have any sexual attraction to smaller dogs (Say, smaller than a beagle)? Is there something other than their size that could be the reason bigger dogs and certain breeds especially are sooo loved? What are your opinions? If you had to list the 5 breeds you found most attractive, what would they be? For me it would be German Shepherds, Huskys, Golden Retrievers, Mastiffs, and Great Danes.

The physical appearance of certain breeds or groups of breeds just is very attractive. Shepherds and huskies have a wolf like appearance. And for some reason nature decided that predatory species just are going to be quite sexy. :D
Large breeds like danes are impressive because of their body structure. And of course the implied package size between their hind legs (though there are debates over how huge they get).
In my case the physical appearance of an animal has a big influence on how sexy the species/breed is for me.
Larger dogs are also better for cuddling. I can not explain exactly what it is, but holding a big, fluffy, warm animal in your arms an burying your face into it feels better than the same with a small animal. The same goes for cats, I love cats but I enjoy bigger individuals more because there is more of the animal to enjoy. :D

It makes me wonder if wolves evolutionarily influenced humans and caused zoosexuality, since we lived with them for thousands of years through evolution, clearly people with an affinity towards them passed their genes more often as they had mutual protection. Maybe because of that bond it's why zoos are so commonly interested in dogs, specifically dogs that resemble wolves.

This is something I've wondered for a long time. It seems like a strong majority of people prefer a select few breeds of dog, and I always wondered why. To list a few of them, German Shepherds, Huskys, Great Danes, and well, generally big dogs are the most popular. I personally am just not attracted to smaller dogs, irrelevant of being able to engage in sex with them, and I feel like I'm not alone. Do most of you just not have any sexual attraction to smaller dogs (Say, smaller than a beagle)? Is there something other than their size that could be the reason bigger dogs and certain breeds especially are sooo loved? What are your opinions? If you had to list the 5 breeds you found most attractive, what would they be? For me it would be German Shepherds, Huskys, Golden Retrievers, Mastiffs, and Great Danes.
I don't know, but I guess that happens because bigger the dog bigger the sex-appeal and the cock....Not only the biggest, just the way of moving, walking, body shape...
If you had to list the 5 breeds you found most attractive, what would they be? In order, German shepherd, beauceron, doberman, cane corso, weimaraner

Personality is the biggest factor for me. My family had a few Yorkies and Chihuahuas while I was growing up so I got to see small dog syndrome nearly every day. Really poisoned the well for any remotely small breed for me. The two smallest dogs I've felt attracted to were a hound mix I used to watch (she was right around beagle size) and an Aussie. When I was finally able to get a dog of my own I went with a Standard Poodle. Great mix of size, beauty, smarts and a great personality. Dobermanns and Collies were a close second though (it really is still is a tossup which one I'd pick over the other every time I think about it). I certainly do get the appeal of the more wolf like breeds such as huskies and German Shepherds and the large, um, assets that large breeds such as the Dane have. I just prefer the more okay with being a couch potato one day and runner the next kind of dogs.

Most zoos are the same as any other pet owner. They don't research the breed they just buy what is pretty or is popular or easy to get. If someone said name 5 random dog breeds that come to your mind first, husky, GSD, lab, golden and Dane would probably take up most if not all of those spots. One or all of those five breeds will show up in most peoples lists. Because they are popular, these dogs are readily available in shelters from people who bought them on a whim in pet stores or Ted next door who had a litter because his bitch needed to experience motherhood just once because he thinks she's a great dog despite her bad hips, terrible body confo and disqualified coloring.

It makes me wonder if wolves evolutionarily influenced humans and caused zoosexuality, since we lived with them for thousands of years through evolution, clearly people with an affinity towards them passed their genes more often as they had mutual protection. Maybe because of that bond it's why zoos are so commonly interested in dogs, specifically dogs that resemble wolves.
there may be some truth to that, plus dogs still being the only "you can trust one with your life" fully domesticated animal so it seems obvious why are they "common".
well, i also think your average "i'd like to try an animal because taboo or whatever" person will also go for a dog because it's very easy to get and care for a dog.... at least compared to a horse for example (the other very "common" animal zoos are into)

The closer to a wolf a dog gets in appearance the more likely I am to find it attractive, but the number one thing for me if I had to actually live with the dog is it's personality and intelligence. A lot of smaller dogs have had their brains shrunk after countless generations of humans breeding for size in the breed. For example a standard Poodle is very smart, a miniature poodle is reasonable, but a toy poodle is... well I've seen some house bricks smarter than some of those little guys. But as with all breeds, they are what they were bred for, little dogs need to be tenacious to dive head long into that little hole after that rat. Or be loud and annoying to wake up the big dogs to go and take care of business if a burglar cums calling to your castle.

Big dogs are just a better complete package, more to snuggle, big enough to wrestle with, without risking hurting them, a long enough body to pant next to your ear or give you lick kisses while buried up to their balls, while on your back. Good sized poops easily seen in the grass before you get it all over your shoes. Better more well rounded temperament etc.

As for my top five picks, that's hard so many breeds are worthy. But to pick 5 out of a hat:
GSD
Newfie
Mally
BMD
GSP

I've once read an article that said that, zoos often are attracted to bigger and stronger breads of animals, because at some point they have a resemblance to humans.

I've once read an article that said that, zoos often are attracted to bigger and stronger breads of animals, because at some point they have a resemblance to humans.
Scratches my head vigorously, I think you just gave me flees. Um I think the author of that article has some explaining to do, if where talking about physical appearance. I might be able to buy personality or other non-physical characteristics depending on the dog. But that wouldn't explain the "bigger and stronger" part. Do you have a link to the article?

an article about what breeds zoos prefer? how did they go about making a statistic?
the only article i could find dabbling in some breeds being preferred (by ppl in general, not zoos) because they resemble humans was about pugs... they apparently resemble human babies

Scratches my head vigorously, I think you just gave me flees. Um I think the author of that article has some explaining to do, if where talking about physical appearance. I might be able to buy personality or other non-physical characteristics depending on the dog. But that wouldn't explain the "bigger and stronger" part. Do you have a link to the article?

Zoophilia in men: A study of sexual interest in animals", by Colin J. Williams and Martin S. Weinber

"Zoophilia in men: A study of sexual interest in animals", by Colin J. Williams and Martin S. Weinberg, you can find on Google Scholar. The article also mentions some personality traits analogous to human ones. It's not so focused on why certain species and breads are preferred, but it does mention it a little.

an article about what breeds zoos prefer? how did they go about making a statistic?
the only article i could find dabbling in some breeds being preferred (by ppl in general, not zoos) because they resemble humans was about pugs... they apparently resemble human babies
Not specifically about the breeds, but it mentions it. "Zoophilia in men: A study of sexual interest in animals", by Colin J. Williams and Martin S. Weinberg.

Try telling a new mother that her baby looks like a pug, and see how long you remain standing on your feet. :gsd_laughing:

I actually don't mind pugs, they mightn't be the prettiest breed, but they've often got a bit of character about them.

Back