Which dog breeds make the best cuddlebuddies?

SultryHellhound

Citizen of Zooville
I'm thinking about getting a dog, but I've always been used to lazy dogs who love nothing more than to snuggle up on the couch or lay by your feet. Growing up I had a rottweiler and a German shepherd who were like this, but I know that's definitely not the norm.

What are some breeds that are like this?

Last edited:
I don't know if american rottweilers are a different breed to the ones here in aus or something but i have never met a needlessly aggressive one here, sure they don't like strangers near the house but thats like 99% of dogs! (Danes and labs being weird and loving everyone)
The 2 i knew as a child always be laying o you for pats and the ones my friends have are the same way, but you know... god help you if you hurt their owners.

I don't know if american rottweilers are a different breed to the ones here in aus or something but i have never met a needlessly aggressive one here, sure they don't like strangers near the house but thats like 99% of dogs! (Danes and labs being weird and loving everyone)
The 2 i knew as a child always be laying o you for pats and the ones my friends have are the same way, but you know... god help you if you hurt their owners.
Sounds about right, I think it also depends on how they're raised by their owners

As a general rule of thumb, short fur equals more likely to want to share body heat with you. Floofy breed dogs will often overheat if they've been snuggled for too long and are more likely to leave and find a cooler area (such as a hardwood floor) to cool off a bit.

But it kind of all comes down to their personality, there will always be exceptions. I'm sure there are many, for example, samoyeds, that love cuddling all day long. And I'm sure there are plenty of, for example, great danes, that won't tolerate more than 2 minutes of cuddling.

I've known a few Mastiff breeds eg: Dogue De Bordeaux that are pretty happy flopping over you on the couch, but the only problem is you can't move even when they get up, because they've put your legs to sleep.

But I also know a border collie puppy that must be sprawled ontop of you for him to be happy, although in his case you can get a tired hand because patting him must be done at all times without fail or he climbs on your head to get your attention again. He's a goof ball, but very lovable.

As others have said though breed only goes so far every dog will have their own preferred snuggle levels.

I know a few dogs that love a hug or a cuddle, but I imagine the bigger they are, the less likely they're going to want a human hot water bottle? That said, I'd adore curling up with one in bed though. Definitely the dream

Setters. Especially English setters. They are notorious cuddlers. Some of them would even press themselves inside of you if that was possible.
Springer spaniels are also very cuddly

I'm thinking about getting a dog, but I've always been used to lazy dogs who love nothing more than to snuggle up on the couch or lay by your feet. Growing up I had a rottweiler and a German shepherd who were like this, but I know that's definitely not the norm.

What are some breeds that are like this?
Mastiffs st bernards

Some border collies are amazingly cuddly,
Ive got a presa canario that is probably the cuddliest/laziest dog ive ever known, only problem with her is, she thinks shes the size of a jack russell, you end up with her sat on your lap, kinda hard to watch the box!

Back