Where to learn about the risks and challenges unique to raising an intact male dog

shortbutfast

Zooville Settler
Hey there yall. Bit of a controversial opinion here, but with many years in breed rescues I absolutely think spay and neuter policies do a world of good for our friends. This is to say, I'm very familiar with breed specific health worries, how to tell the difference between a food allergy and a skin infection, signs of hip dysplasia... but I realize that with all the dogs fostered and shuttled to vets over the years I have zero experience with any intact male dogs at any age!

I've ready differing reports on cancer risk which is actually reassuring. I still fear my ignorance and would love any websites, books or other sources yall know of to educate myself on health and temperament differences. I lost my cat recently to a form of tumors in her lmyph nodes. This cancer was made immensely more likely to occur because she was an apartment cat not spayed until well after her first heat. Any thing similar I should know about with male dogs? Definitely seems like females get the short end of the stick as regards risks of choosing not to spay....

I had a rescue dog and he got along fine with my other dogs. I only have German Shepherds and the only difference between the rescue and the other boys was that he didn't try to mark everything. IDK anything about cancer risks or such but there are tons of good books and even more info on the web.

Maybe US has more if this spay/neuter pro retardness than rest of the world because of dog overpopulation issues.
Never spay/neuter as a precautionary measure for something that is highly unlikely to happen.
Spayed/Neutered or not - All dogs will live breed typical lifespans, which are considerably shorter than ours and some cancer or illness will happen sooner or later.

Maybe US has more if this spay/neuter pro retardness than rest of the world because of dog overpopulation issues.
Never spay/neuter as a precautionary measure for something that is highly unlikely to happen.
Spayed/Neutered or not - All dogs will live breed typical lifespans, which are considerably shorter than ours and some cancer or illness will happen sooner or later.
it's a state by state issue, but i can assure you that catch and release spay, neuter and shot programs are immensely better for the animals than what they experience in the slums of Houston. The worst part is even with such a huge stray population (rescues are always at capacity) due to state laws there are hundreds of backyard breeders forcing females to push out litter after litter.

Nothing retarded about it with the problems we face, the hundreds of thousands of starving strays state wide. I absolutely advocate for laws that criminalize puppy farms, backyard breeders, and push for state funding to aid in catch and release programs.

A no kill shelter can be called such with 80% of dogs put down.

I have had dogs in my family every day of my life, 100% of them were "intact" Male or Female. So making comparisons, I really cannot help with.

But I have always treated my animals well & lovingly, feed them Better than I fed myself nutrition wise. and the ONLY breed of dog to EVER "Buck up" in it's adolescents and actually Bite me with intent, was a Male Wolf Dog. German Shepard/Wolf. he was One of a Pair I got from a "Breeder" in the next county. Aside from that single incident, Never have I actually been Challenged for Alpha.

and as to the outcome of this encounter, I did as I have always read, "get dominant" or loose all respect from the animal.
so we went a few rounds in a matter if 3-4 minutes. Being the larger animal, I won of course.
and that wolfdog, NEVER EVER gave me any more trouble.
BUT! be warned, dogs like Akita's and Chows, also challenge for Dominance when they reach adolescents.

I bear the scars on my hands from my wolfdog encounter.

The Second WolfDog of the two, polar opposite. was a loving adorable pup, suitable for any young family home.
from the day he became a part of my life, to the day He died in my arms. (XMas Eve 2018)

so if ya want to ask me anything, Please, post it here so we all may share in this pool of wisdom.

Silly me, I forgot to attach the Pix!
the Darker animal is "Wallace" My Biter.
the Lighter, is "Grommet" The Sweetheart.

Attachments

• 20151104_094547.jpg
    20151104_094547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • RIP-5-5-2018-Wallace.jpg
    RIP-5-5-2018-Wallace.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20151104_094523.jpg
    20151104_094523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Grommet-sm.jpg
    Grommet-sm.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 12 - 1.jpg
    12 - 1.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140608_150302.jpg
    20140608_150302.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 66
it's a state by state issue, but i can assure you that catch and release spay, neuter and shot programs are immensely better for the animals than what they experience in the slums of Houston. The worst part is even with such a huge stray population (rescues are always at capacity) due to state laws there are hundreds of backyard breeders forcing females to push out litter after litter.

Nothing retarded about it with the problems we face, the hundreds of thousands of starving strays state wide. I absolutely advocate for laws that criminalize puppy farms, backyard breeders, and push for state funding to aid in catch and release programs.

A no kill shelter can be called such with 80% of dogs put down.
After being unsure youre suddenly pro spay/neuter. Make up your zoo mind or continue trolling like an idiot.

The straight dope on neutering of male dogs is that the process of having them neutered actually increases their chances of suffering from certain types of cancers. Supposed increased life expectancy related to neutering is just related to the owners of neutered animals being more willing to invest in their animals. Attributing it to anatomy constitutes conflating correlation with causation. If you just isolate anatomy, the reality is really a lot different.

I am pretty sure that a more controlled study that focused on the actual direct anatomical effects of neutering would find that, in the long run, their life expectancy is really similar. It is just impossible, under natural conditions, to control for owners that just can't afford or can't be assed to neuter their animals, but the Humane Society keeps pressing the idea that everyone should do it because, in spite of their name, they are basically a ruthless animal genocide operation. They are going to do anything they can to perpetuate their extermination program.

Besides that, here is what I can tell you about how it affects your relationship with your dog to leave your dog intact.

It is easier to board your dog if your dog is neutered. Most pet boarding will not take an intact dog. There are also many dog parks that do not allow intact dogs into the park. You can get around this by simply hiring a pet-sitter instead of boarding: this can be done inexpensively. There are plenty of dog-parks that do allow intact dogs, and even if there is not one near you, there are plenty of mixed parks that welcome both humans and dogs.

Besides that, you can expect an intact male dog to act like any human in a similar condition: they act like men, first and foremost, and that's about the size of it. That comes with both positives and negatives:

The intact dog is actually more socially outdoing and more likely to make friends with other dogs. It's ironic, since you would expect the opposite, for the intact dog to be antisocial and really aggressive toward other dogs, but apparently, it comes out as "manly charm" and "schmoozing" behavior instead. An intact dog wants to "be a big wheel." They are less fearful, and this actually translates into LESS behavioral problems: like with humans, fear is really the cause of most problems you have with them. There are your main advantages of an intact dog.

However, they are still men. They are hard-headed. They have their own ideas about how to do things. They also stay distracted most of the time because they quite frankly have dick on the brain. Like with men, they go through a stage in life where they want to literally fuck everything in sight, but this can be attenuated by just raising them right: they ultimately grow out of it.

Now, that's just my translation of what the study says, not what's true for every dog.

Anyway, your dog will live the longest EXACTLY if you give your dog routine veterinary care and feed your dog an appropriate balanced diet, not anything fancy, especially nothing exotic, no stupid "raw meat" diets (those can make your dog seriously sick), but mainstream zoophile recommended brand name foods are really your best bet.

That's the best information I have for you.

I am a veterinarian working in Australia.

TL;DR Only castrate your boy if there is a health issue with his reproduction system. There are LOTS of good books and online resources to learn more about the training, behavioural and health of an non-desexed male dog. Speak to your certified dog trainer and your veterinarian about it!

As far as keeping your boy intact for his long-term health is concerned, I would leave his testicles alone until there is a problem with either his prostate gland or the testicles themselves or if the problem is going to significantly impact his health.

Older male dogs can sometimes get significant prostate enlargement, infection of the prostate gland, prostatic cysts or uncommonly, prostate tumours. They can also get perianal adenomas (Tumour of the oil gland around the anus) or perineal hernias (Looseness of the muscular support around his perineum where his rectum can be displaced abnormally). These conditions are testosterone driven.
While everyone talks about testicular cancer in entire male dogs is a potential issue, testicular cancers are actually quite uncommon and even rare. The only exception is if the male dog is cryptorchid (undescended testicle/s), in which the risk of cancer is significantly increased in the undescended testicle.
If he does by any chance get a problem with his prostate gland or testicles, there are anti-testosterone hormonal therapy and/or anti-testosterone drugs that can be used to manage the conditions. Again, castration is still an option if the drugs fail to work.
I still believe his health is more important than trying to save his cancerous testicles or going through an expensive, drawn-out treatment option for prostatic issues or trying to medically fix the tumours around his anus.

I am definitely NOT keen on castration as a solution to behavioural problems. It just doesn't work since most behavioural issues are previously LEARNT. Again, testosterone plays only a very, very small contribution to already acquired behavioural problems. Behavioural modification through training is MORE IMPORTANT. There are NO (and I seriously mean NO) quick fix solution to behavioural problems, only long-term training and behavioural modification will help!

We have to take personal responsibility to train our dogs and teach them good manners to be good canine citizens whether they are male or female, intact or neutered, young or old, Border Collie or Chihuahua, etc etc. No one else is gonna train your dog properly but you. (y)

I can explain more about spaying female dogs if you like but it might sound off-topic to the question you asked.

BUT! be warned, dogs like Akita's and Chows, also challenge for Dominance when they reach adolescents.

I bear the scars on my hands from my wolfdog encounter.

The Second WolfDog of the two, polar opposite. was a loving adorable pup, suitable for any young family home.
from the day he became a part of my life, to the day He died in my arms. (XMas Eve 2018)

so if ya want to ask me anything, Please, post it here so we all may share in this pool of wisdom.

Ouch, I feel for ya. Got 3 bites under my belt trying to socialize fear aggressive former bait dogs. Scotties, 2 from one one grumpy old man me n the ex ended up adopting and the other from a guy who sadly was so fear aggressive a trainer who specialized in bait dog rehab wouldnt take the gig after the first eval. (Bait dogs are small to medium breed dogs of a typically stubborn tempermant used as fodder to train the manufactured aggression prized in fighting dogs.) Smaller breed that they are scotties can still do a number on you haha.

Thanks for the experiences. I'm definitely anticipating some temperament adjustments and different training methods. Glad to hear that presence and tone of voice (the ALPHA approach :p) still work. Something tells me clicker training might be a good go if I get a working breed.

Anyway, your dog will live the longest EXACTLY if you give your dog routine veterinary care and feed your dog an appropriate balanced diet, not anything fancy, especially nothing exotic, no stupid "raw meat" diets (those can make your dog seriously sick), but mainstream zoophile recommended brand name foods are really your best bet.

That's the best information I have for you.

I'm certainly not qualified to pick the correlation from the causation, but it's still comfortable to hear the old advice is still the best advice. My go to brand for most of the last decade was Taste of the Wild. Not quite the Orijen level of brands but still met my requirements: grain free and proteins as the first listed and majority by weight ingredients. Been a few years since I've separated with my ex and left the rescue, but I still get those sweet sweet rescue prices from our vet of choice, much to my cats anger over the years.
Thanks for the perspective, lord knows one vet will say one thing and another the other on many subjects like this.

After being unsure youre suddenly pro spay/neuter. Make up your zoo mind or continue trolling like an idiot.
I said in my op that my experiences volunteering in dog rescues have led me to be pro spay and neuter. Not gunna dilute the point of the post by arguing, but nonetheless there are measurable metrics to show the reduction in strays and certainly the rescues can't handle the level of intake here theyve struggled with for decades now. Unless you think capture and euthanasia a more humane solution for these animals sickness, starvation, and heat exhaustion induced death than shots and spay/neuter? And thats if theyre lucky enough to put down humanely at a BARC or no kill.

Anyway, quick tangentially related question. Knowing the high strung rescue community with some intimacy I know they judge quite harshly folks who make this decision. I'm curious, when pressed on your personal reasoning do yall have an answer/justification you favor? I already know my vet won't press me too hard, but lord knows I'm bracing for the hell my ex wife brings down on me when I tell her!

Silly me, I forgot to attach the Pix!
the Darker animal is "Wallace" My Biter.
the Lighter, is "Grommet" The Sweetheart.
what handsome boys you've got! Wallace reminds me of a GSD in my in laws family. The father had this gal before he remarried, and lets just say the shepherd was VERY jealous of his new relationship! Their first christmas living together, so the story goes, this girl found every present from his wife to him under the tree and chewed them to pulp!

there are no advantages
I said in my op that my experiences volunteering in dog rescues have led me to be pro spay and neuter. Not gunna dilute the point of the post by arguing, but nonetheless there are measurable metrics to show the reduction in strays and certainly the rescues can't handle the level of intake here theyve struggled with for decades now. Unless you think capture and euthanasia a more humane solution for these animals sickness, starvation, and heat exhaustion induced death than shots and spay/neuter? And thats if theyre lucky enough to put down humanely at a BARC or no kill.

Anyway, quick tangentially related question. Knowing the high strung rescue community with some intimacy I know they judge quite harshly folks who make this decision. I'm curious, when pressed on your personal reasoning do yall have an answer/justification you favor? I already know my vet won't press me too hard, but lord knows I'm bracing for the hell my ex wife brings down on me when I tell her!
What do the strays anywhere have to do with you or anyone else responsible person raising an intact dog for animal loving purposes ?

Back