what are your thoughts on the ideas that animals Have Perspective About Life & Death ?

N

NaturesWhistle

there has been numerous observations of different animals in there vast arrays of environments showing emotions feeling and behaviors that are close to being human
you could argue these are just feelings and emotions and normal instinctual behaviors so whats the big ideal ?
Well my idea is that because of there emotions they gain perspective on different aspects of life as well as death

which this question inevitably leads to the fact that is communication the Biggest hurdle of any species and having perspective helps with the formation of thoughts?

lets post more examples and debate about this topic would
love to hear everyone's honest oppinons on this Subject of aforementioned thought

if you want to talk more about zoo sexuality Ethics and morality
Come Join my Group :https://www.zooville.org/forums/zoo-sexuals-ethics-morality.194/

P.s just starting out trying to get back into the groove of posting again

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been instances of elephant mourning the death of their deceased elephant relatives. So it's not just humans that mourn the dead.

Because non-human animals feel pain, emotions and suffering, they should not be killed by humans for any reason.

thanks everyone for your opinions was putting this topic together pretty fast just putting food for thought out also didnt know that turkeys think that way i was intrigued by the post and immediately made this afterwards

but on the other side it makes you think about what is going thru there minds everyday when they experience the physical planes thru there emotions and there perceptions of the world we could learn a thing or two even if the behavior wasn't what we thought it was

the questions that such bizarre behavior outright makes us Ask is more than enough to help bring perspective to any aspiring person trying to learn in such a strange and unusual world like ours.

thanks everyone for your opinions was putting this topic together pretty fast just putting food for thought out also didnt know that turkeys think that way i was intrigued by the post and immediately made this afterwards

but on the other side it makes you think about what is going thru there minds everyday when they experience the physical planes thru there emotions and there perceptions of the world we could learn a thing or two even if the behavior wasn't what we thought it was

the questions that such bizarre behavior outright makes us Ask is more than enough to help bring perspective to any aspiring person trying to learn in such a strange and unusual world like ours.
I feel for animals who have it rough. Imagine being a freshly born tadpole and then being eaten by a damn waterbug.

They’re living dinosaurs. That’s why I like them so much. But yes they can be quite ruthless to one another. Never place a baby chick in a flock of adults, the adult birds will peck it to death or even eat it. You must always separate until the chick is covered in adult plumage.

They’re not like dogs, who will look after a puppy (usually).

Animals are smarter than most people give credit. I met a parrot that had reasoning skills. He called me by name, then ask, why am i called a parrot? I saw this parrot daily for years, and daily his personality bloomed. We were changed by this creature.
Horse owners will tell you, former owner myself, that a horse will try you with wits. Never think that's a dumb horse. You ever think that, and I will show you a dumbass.
Dogs have us beat in metal ability.
They understand our voice commands,
our tone of voice, hand signals and scents. We people rarely ever understand a single thought of the pet. Some do. Much like the pet whisper.
Dogs and horses know when they are dying. Parrots know when they are dying. They cling in such a way. The look and loom in their eyes speaks volumes.
Ever had to tell a person good bye? If not,someday you will. Look for these things. Your heart will never be the same.

To help yourself have a new outlook.

Visit the maternity ward at your nearest hospital, on your BIRTHDAY!
most humbled and changed day I ever lived.
The maternity ward and a graveyard seems to be the only place where all people of all color can lay side by side and never fight, argue or be prejudiced in their think. All of that bull is learned after we leave one and dash our way to the other.
All life wants to live, that's why it's called a "Dog eat Dog" world.

love you all, we are the human race.
"Zoo-on"

If you've ever had a terminally ill pet, you can tell they are aware that their life is finite. I had cat with severe epilepsy and the day before we put her down, she knew it was over and basically gave up fighting, she was ready.
Not mention when growing up, when one of my family's cats died, the others were definitely depressed, not just confused, but certainly depressed: they didn't eat or move much, just kind of in a state of mourning. They snapped out of it quick but still.

I think they're all aware having witnessed several instances dogs, horses, cattle, sheep.

I’ve read about dogs that can smell out cancer in humans.
not sure about all animals but dogs can be very perceptive

All creatures know (either inborn, or learned) what they need to know....period. People read far too much into many of their behaviors, and yet they do not truly understand why WE, as creatures of the same evolutionary drives and methods act as we do. What an animal APPEARS to be doing may have no relationship to what it REALLY is doing. As a human example, consider Mythology, the purpose of which is to explain the inexplicable; once embedded in a Mythology, an event is often impossible to extricate from it with a TRUE explanation. As we move into our own future demythologizing the Human experience as we go, we seem to be developing an inverse process for our critters; its as though MYTH MUST be made, and if not about humanity, then about our lesser cousins.
Sometimes I wonder if the Human race will EVER grow up

Animals are smarter than most people give credit. I met a parrot that had reasoning skills. He called me by name, then ask, why am i called a parrot?
Holy shit. Hey uh, which species of parot was this? If its not an African grey and assuming youre being honest this is a huge scientific breakthrough. This bird learned human language and learned how to structure it in an understandable manner.

Animals are smarter than most people give credit. I met a parrot that had reasoning skills. He called me by name, then ask, why am i called a parrot? I saw this parrot daily for years, and daily his personality bloomed. We were changed by this creature.
Horse owners will tell you, former owner myself, that a horse will try you with wits. Never think that's a dumb horse. You ever think that, and I will show you a dumbass.
Dogs have us beat in metal ability.
They understand our voice commands,
our tone of voice, hand signals and scents. We people rarely ever understand a single thought of the pet. Some do. Much like the pet whisper.
Dogs and horses know when they are dying. Parrots know when they are dying. They cling in such a way. The look and loom in their eyes speaks volumes.
Ever had to tell a person good bye? If not,someday you will. Look for these things. Your heart will never be the same.

To help yourself have a new outlook.

Visit the maternity ward at your nearest hospital, on your BIRTHDAY!
most humbled and changed day I ever lived.
The maternity ward and a graveyard seems to be the only place where all people of all color can lay side by side and never fight, argue or be prejudiced in their think. All of that bull is learned after we leave one and dash our way to the other.
All life wants to live, that's why it's called a "Dog eat Dog" world.

love you all, we are the human race.
"Zoo-on"

Unless the parrot was trained to say "why am I called a parrot" that's utter bullshit.

And no dogs don't have us beat in mental ability... not in any single way.

Last edited:
This topic is known in the research as thanatology and there are a few papers that might help answer the original question, unfortunately the one on horses is behind a paywall but if you are curious enough you will have to pay for that one:

Horse Thanatology study

Crow Thanatology study

General Summary of the field:

In the cases I have heard of, horses will sometimes form what could loosely be termed an honor guard around a fallen member of the herd. The reaction is different each time and as far as I know there are no specifics of entirely how they will react. Only that they generally linger around the area for an extended period of time if they knew the horse, and will leave immediately if the horse is unknown. Their prior relationship with the herd member, and whether or not lingering impacts other life needs may be factors in what their response to a death in the herd is. This is however simply from stories I have heard and is not easy to substantiate. Studying this topic is very difficult because it cannot be ethically created in lab conditions and there are an enormous number of variables that significantly impact the response and perceived response.

that's utter bullshit.
No it is not actually. There is a podcast online where a teacher talks how she was able to teach her parrot simple grammar and vocabulary so that he actually was able to form sentences independently and express thoughts.

A similar experiment has been done with dogs using buttons.
It is pretty incredible, I suggest watching more of those videos.

As for the original question. Bear cubs in rehab who have witnessed the murder of their mother behave differently than those that have been found lost. This has been observed by people who work with them.
There are some reports of wolves dying out of "broken heart" after the death of their mate. Dogs are pretty close to wolves.

Back