Too soon to get another dog or...?

Weckles

Tourist
About 3 weeks ago I got a new puppy, but had to put him down a week later. I have a previous post you can learn what happened and what-not.

I told myself I didn't want to get another puppy for a while but part of me just...really enjoyed caring for him when I did and I almost feel a void because of it.

Well, cue little Weckles searching around for dogs a few days ago - just to see what was out there right now because I have attributes and breeds I want and I know you can't always find what you're looking for - and then I found a pit puppy someone was selling for relatively cheap. No papers or anything; comes with all his vaxes seems very cared for in his pictures. Overall he looks and seems like a healthy dog and at face value he looks like he has a family who has taken care of him and his parents.

I've been gravitating towards getting him but...is it too soon for me to want to give this another go? 2 weeks ago I was sitting on the floor trying to get my last puppy to drink with a syringe because he had sepsis and carrying him outside for attempted potty breaks. It was all very traumatic for me. But here I am with beds, toys, bowls...just reminding me that I do have a home that could care for a new dog again and I want it. I'm just scared to go through all of that again.

My wife and I lost our cat to a urinary complication. Her cat for years, she loved him and I loved him. He was so sweet, and loved her like I’ve never seen a cat love someone! When he passed, not 3 weeks later she came home with a kitten that looked just like him. He was a rescue she picked up and bottle fed for a while till he got healthy again. Now he’s a part of our family, and we’ve found him sleeping by the other cats ashes, or doing things he used to do.

My advice is, your heart will tell you when it’s right… other people have different opinions, but if there’s a hole in your heart, and a puppy or critter in need, help if you have the means ❤️ you’re not replacing the lost, and you’ll never forget them.

My wife and I lost our cat to a urinary complication. Her cat for years, she loved him and I loved him. He was so sweet, and loved her like I’ve never seen a cat love someone! When he passed, not 3 weeks later she came home with a kitten that looked just like him. He was a rescue she picked up and bottle fed for a while till he got healthy again. Now he’s a part of our family, and we’ve found him sleeping by the other cats ashes, or doing things he used to do.

My advice is, your heart will tell you when it’s right… other people have different opinions, but if there’s a hole in your heart, and a puppy or critter in need, help if you have the means ❤️ you’re not replacing the lost, and you’ll never forget them.
Funny enough similar story here. Years ago I had my cat and when I moved from home and had my mother, who just swore up and down she would love to have him and take care of him, let him outside and I never saw him again. Last year, when I did move back home again, I decided I wanted a pet and started looking for the same breed as my last cat. I found one that looked exactly like him except instead of black and white, he's grey and white - but same markings and everything. He even acts the same and he's got a special place in my heart that filled a hole that just...needed to start repair because of how my last cat was done.

I agree with argathor. It's really just a decision you can make, and how your heart feels.

My 16 year old dog passed away 3 years ago. I got her when I was in 8th grade. It was very, very painful to lose her. I would look at dogs, and felt very guilty for doing so. It felt like I was replacing her. Then one day, it felt like it was time. I realized again how empty it felt without a dog, and that I was done being without one. Now it's been nearly a year since I got my pup.

I read through your previous thread, and I am so sorry. That is very traumatic. :(

It’s never too early, it’s all about what helps you and what you can handle.

For some people getting a new pet helps them heal from their grief or they can’t stand not having a dog around. It isn’t the same as replacing them.

However some people can’t imagine taking in a new pet until they’ve processed their grief. That’s fine too.

If your ready for another dog he one. I am so sorry you lost your pup. This post is a week old so you probably all ready got the dog or decided to pass. Pits get a bad wrap with the right owner they are great dogs.

Back