Tips & Product Recommendations for Grooming (Poll)

How often do you bath your dog

• More than once a month

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Every month

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Once every few months

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Once a year

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Never?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How often do you bath your dog and what products do you use?

And any product recommendations for the following:
  1. Fragrance sprays
  2. Dry Shampoo's
  3. Shampoo
  4. Other e.g balms

Once every few months, when he starts to get doggy smelling. Of course if you have a dog that's outdoors a lot and gets dirty then they need more frequent washing. I've been meaning to bathe him the last couple weeks, maybe I will this week. Want to get it in before it starts getting much colder, I don't like to do it in winter because I don't want to leave him with wet fur in the cold.

Bath every 6 to 8 days depending.....spot cleaned and wiped down daily....paws, nose cleaned and lite coat of coconut oil daily...it’s a lot but it works for us.....also coupled with his raw/homemade diet his coat and skin are in great shape...he gets compliments everyday....😃😃🐶

Usually, I'll bathe my girls when I feel they need it. Which usually ends up being every other month. (Sometimes I'll get lazy and just take them to the local groomer.) Usually, I just use Adam's Flea and Tick shampoo. They have no adverse reactions to it, and it seems to do it's job well. Bathing is always fun because I don't have a tub, I have a standup shower.

I often question myself, if I should bathe them more frequently, like once a month.

I've always heard that you never bathe a dog more than once every two weeks because their skin will dry out.

I've always heard that you never bathe a dog more than once every two weeks because their skin will dry out.
....Ive heard the exact same thing...however, i believe it depends on a few factors....diet, what you bathe with and the individual pup and it’s stress levels ...our results are ....his diet is raw/homemade....his shampoo is working great and it gets completely rinsed away after a wash....he loves bath time, all we have to do is say bath time and he just goes and jumps in, loves it....his stress levels are none lol, he’s never along and he‘s very well socialized and confident wherever he goes....but again I’ve heard similar about bath frequency... rest assured thou, if we experienced anything that concluded we were doing something damaging to our pups wellbeing we’d change it immediately..also shampoo we use smells great.... 😃😃🐶👋🏻

Attachments

• 519017C7-8CF4-487C-B1EF-FC3DB7A89011.jpeg
    519017C7-8CF4-487C-B1EF-FC3DB7A89011.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I like using them rubber mitts with the different textures on them to scrub my boy done in the tub.
They really get the hair off very well. I also like the fact Tractor Supply gives you a big bathing tub for 10 bucks and a drying table as well.

I don't bathe my girl on a regular basis. She doesn't smell at all, her fur is clean and even if it gets muddy, the dirt'll just dry and flake off. Sometimes she rolls into some filth (or dead birds, her favorite), though, whereupon I shower her with some lukewarm water and a tiny bit of shampoo.
She does splash around in rivers and pools semi-regularly, not so much when it gets cold, which may be an aid.

I remember reading somewhere too much bathing could damage their lipid film on the skin and cause irritation. I'll try to find the page.

Once in a while. My dog is pretty self cleaning. But of course sometimes he finds a dead bird and absolutely can not resist bathing in it. :D
If he is just covered in mud I do not use any shampoo though and just was him. I like his natural smell. :D

We try to bathe less often as he has sensitive (dry) skin, but he seems to be getting bathed twice a week right now. We still have ticks in our pasture so it's really the only way to kill them. We use Ivory soap and leave it in for five minutes before rinsing, the soap drowns fleas and ticks. Be sure to lather your pup up well and hit spots like armpits, neck, and under their tail.

For those of you that bath your dogs less frequently, do you still let then sleep with you at night?

Yes. As long as they are not wet or covered in dirt or mud.
Thanks for the quick response! I really want my dogs to sleep with me but all my previous ones growing up had a talent for findings filth to roll in, so I would constantly have to keep them off the bed or bathed. I don't think it will be as big of an issue now that I don't live on a farm but in the back of my mind I still wondered how others dealt with it. One thought is to just have a doggy comforter on the top of your bed that's able to take some stains.

I also appreciate the sentless shampoo reccomendations as I always found sented ones just made the dog smell worse.

Back