Tips for biting?

Redirect him to chew toys when they're chewing something they shouldn't be. Also when he tries to bite hands you can remove him from the social situation, basically put him into time out for 5 minutes (dont go any longer, they dont have the attention span for it). Set a timer and make sure he can't even see you, personally I used a specific bathroom in the house for timeouts. Never use the crate for punishment, this will create an aversion to the crate due to its association with punishment. It wont end over night and takes consistency, doing it everytime and sticking to the timer.

Hello,

I have an almost 5 month old puppy who just bites for EVERYTHING. When he's happy, when he's sad, when he's board. Ect. I've tried everything to stop him from biting but he just won't.

It's mostly hands that he bites. He doesn't really care about anything else. I've tried just stopping playing with him when he bites but he just gets frustrated and then goes after my hands to play some more. ....I've tried sitting on my hands so he can't get to them, but he ends up just trying to dig at my hands and ends up biting my wrist because he can't get to them. I've tried putting him in a lay down position with the leash and kept it loose so that he had to stay there until he calms down but he ends up getting frustrated and biting my jeans and shoes. I've tried just telling him that's enough and walking away but he just follows and continues to try and nip my fingers as I walk away. I've tried putting him in his crate to tell him to calm down but then when he gets out he goes right back to biting.

I understand that he's teething and biting is going to be a thing but I still think he's doing it more than just for teething.

What is the best way to really approach this?
If you have already been letting him bite your hands to play this may be very hard to stop. I would start with a consistent loud noise of your choice and stern face whenever he bites, followed immediately by offering a rope or other tug toy to play with him. (Something with length so he may not be tempted to move to your hand) remember that hands are energetic and exciting to the little guy. He may have a hand fixation, so if he starts looking a little manic when you’re talking to him and he won’t stop staring at your hands, make sure to get his attention off them, it may take some time. Good luck!

Oh, ok.
Not really important, but relevant as they are "teached" to play soft and inhibit their bite when playing. This does not happen until they have at least two months, so if separated early they don't learn the game of playing.

If that was the case, you will need to do the work yourself and suffer their tiny piercing teeth 😅

Also, make sure he goes out and meets lots of frienly dogs and play with them so he learns to be socialized while he is still a pup.

And much happiness to both 👍
I agree

Excessive biting can be a problem, but also remember that puppies bite for a myriad of reasons, including that they're teething, exploring the world, or just playing. If it's too much, you might try a teething ring or bone.

Back