The age bracket of pups humping

HyperWoof

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
A friend of mine has a pup who is somewhere between 16-22 months old (person he adopted him from was unsure of birth date) The dog still has all of his original hardware. My friend brought up that he hasn't been able to get his dog to hump. I thought he was just doing it wrong as he is inexperienced, but when I was over there last night I couldn't get him to hump by hand either, he just kind of stands there and licks his chops. He doesn't try mounting either, but you can tell he is sexually interested by the rest of his demeanor.
Now I am certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that by the dogs current rough age, this should be something he is doing by now... am I off? Is there another possible reason other than age that I am unaware of? I have never been with an unaltered dog who doesn't hump when stimulated.

Have you tried with another dog? He might only be interested in dogs. Or perhaps it's a dominance thing and he is afraid to show dominance over you or your friend.
But yeah, around the 1 year mark isn't uncommon to start humping. My puppy humped my female when he was around 7 months but that was more of a dominance thing and not sexual as she's fixed.

My GSDs is 2 1/2 years old and same thing. He’s doesn’t hump or mount at all, either on his own with my hand. One time, when I took him on a play date with my friends male dog, all he really wanted to do was hump him. And lately he has been trying to hump my couch pillow(which drives me crazy). I guess like humans, there’s gonna be that 100% that just don’t have it. Only thing you can really try is to get him behind a bitch in heat

My GSDs is 2 1/2 years old and same thing. He’s doesn’t hump or mount at all, either on his own with my hand. One time, when I took him on a play date with my friends male dog, all he really wanted to do was hump him. And lately he has been trying to hump my couch pillow(which drives me crazy). I guess like humans, there’s gonna be that 100% that just don’t have it. Only thing you can really try is to get him behind a bitch in heat

Oh man that would be quite frustrating. If only he could understand how much better it could get than a pillow haha

Back