Territorial dog

DoggyPy

Tourist
So I have a very territorial partner, he's a 5 year old male husky. We love eachother very much but never in my life I had a dog this territorial. I also have another dog, a +10 year old, spayed, female dachshund and this one has a history of attacking dogs.

In a few weeks I'm gonna be getting a female puppy, I think she'll be a month old. Here's my question.
How do I introduce this puppy to my dogs without risk of attacking her? Also should I leave them in separate rooms when I'm at work and no one's home? Probably this has been asked before but I hope it can help someone else too.

Most dogs are territorial. My 3 year old Rottweiler male is the same, I raised him up and were strict on obedience with him till he was matured, he knows demands when yes is yes or no is no, when I got a German Shepherd pup, I have to split the yard in two because my Rottweiler will not be nice to my pup as my Rottweiler is the guard dog of my yard, as I am at work through the day, so they are only playful behind the fence, never can put them together. Only if I am at home can I check them if they are together. Don't you have a yard to divide it?

The first thing is a 1 month old (4 weeks) is entirely too young to be taken away from mom and/or litter mates. At 4 weeks the poor thing is just being weaned. I would honestly look elsewhere for a pup unless you have the time and resources to care for a dog that young and are aware that she may develop behavioral issues as well due to this. I wouldn't begin to introduce her to your other dogs until she's at least 8 weeks old. Depending on how your Dachshund acts, you could probably start with her around 6 weeks.

Until all your dogs are comfortable together and you can accurately assess their behavior, crating or putting in separate rooms when they cannot be watched is a must. Also, be sure to remove collars to prevent any accidental harm.

Don't you have a yard to divide it?
I do, but I guess I just have to see for myself how my husky is with the new puppy before
Depending on how your Dachshund acts, you could probably start with her around 6 weeks.
Thanks, I think I'm gonna go for that, I know the pup is too young but is either that or she is going to the streets, my country doesn't really give a crap about animals sadly.
crating or putting in separate rooms when they cannot be watched is a must. Also, be sure to remove collars to prevent any accidental harm.
Noted, will see it through

Back