Tail or no tail?

It definitely causes pain. They yelp or squirm right? An interesting philosophical / moral question is: does that pain not matter if the dog doesn't remember it?

Would dog owners consent to have something unsavory done to them as long as they can't remember and it doesn't tangibly affect them? For example, would you tell a trusted friend that you are very unattracted to that when you're black out drunk/on the right drugs they can do whatever to you as long as there are no effects?

My answer to that train of logic is no, and so I would not perform cosmetic cutting on puppies.

I’ve seen tails docked not ears done though. The puppies cried only when pulled from the mother. No crying from the, docking they didn’t even seem to notice. Went right back to nursing on momma afterwards like nothing had happened.

I will never, ever, EVER alter a dog in any way to "improve" his or her appearance. I have danes and I have never once considered cropping their ears. Also had horses including drafts, will never dock their tails. (It was necessary at one point in time so they didn't get caught in the harness or ropes while doing their work... Their sexy sexy work making them all strong and sweaty and muscular..... I'll stop). I didn't work them like that so it was not needed, but if I had to in order to prevent them from ripping it off and causing major trauma and possibly death, yes... Yes I would. But at that point it's not aesthetic.

I am in the category supporting unaltered canines. This includes any sort of ear-cropping and tail docking, along with sterilization. Only under the circumstances of a medical emergency would I entertain such concepts. I received my first vet ask regarding spaying just a couple of days ago, which was met with a hard no. They didn’t press the matter, which I was thankful for, but prepared nonetheless.

No, I am not going to cut a perfectly good uterus out of my dog, but thank you, though. Humans are conceited little fucks sometimes, aren’t we?

For Dobermans, I understand that ear docking is a purely aesthetic choice. But is there any reason beyond looks to dock a Dobie tail? Asking for a future friend.

For Dobermans, I understand that ear docking is a purely aesthetic choice. But is there any reason beyond looks to dock a Dobie tail? Asking for a future friend.
The reason why Rottweiler and Dobermanns tails are cut off is somewhat outdated. In the past many people used them as a "cheap horse" to pull small carriages and they often broke their tails due to that and other work. So basically the tails get cut off the prefend them from break,as they are more fragile than common tails. Ears are just aesthetic.

The reason for livestock guard dogs to cut off ears and the tail were simple. They are weak spots for enemies. Easy to grab,hurt and turn a fight.

I will never, ever, EVER alter a dog in any way to "improve" his or her appearance. I have danes and I have never once considered cropping their ears. Also had horses including drafts, will never dock their tails. (It was necessary at one point in time so they didn't get caught in the harness or ropes while doing their work... Their sexy sexy work making them all strong and sweaty and muscular..... I'll stop). I didn't work them like that so it was not needed, but if I had to in order to prevent them from ripping it off and causing major trauma and possibly death, yes... Yes I would. But at that point it's not aesthetic.
It's a nice thing seeing you relate to other zoos a bit! Thanks for sharing.

It's a nice thing seeing you relate to other zoos a bit! Thanks for sharing.
It's a topic I feel strongly about :). I always like to share more, and have tons of stories, but I have to mindful that sharing too much may start a trail of dots for someone to connect.

I like the look of the original use.
I don't have a tail cut dog, so I can't speak for that.

I have dogs with cropped ears and I prefer this in terms of the appearance of the breed. Fortunately, the ears of the russian shepherd breed are cut after birth, so it does not cause any particular trauma to the puppy.
For example dobermann ears are cut at the age of 3 months, a much more problematic case. It is difficult to heal and involves pain, it is necessary to bandage it. Since I don't like dobermanns, I can't comment on that either.
Caucasians and central asians take ear cropping with ease, as it is done after birth when they are still deaf and blind. The vet has a special hot cutting machine for it.

The idiotic EU banned veterinarians from doing this operation, but a lot of vets do it(y), because it's much better than having the owner cut it off at home with kitchen scissors. :rolleyes:
Another example of when laws are created based on stupid animalprotectors.(n)
Stupid animal protectors????
What is the point of cutting their ears? How does this improve the life of the dog? In my opinion, as a genuine animal lover, is that these laws are created to protect animals from narrow minded, materialistic self centered retards that will deform an animal for no other reason than they think it looks cool. Cut your own fucken ears first, then talk about how good it is.

Stupid animal protectors????
What is the point of cutting their ears? How does this improve the life of the dog? In my opinion, as a genuine animal lover, is that these laws are created to protect animals from narrow minded, materialistic self centered retards that will deform an animal for no other reason than they think it looks cool. Cut your own fucken ears first, then talk about how good it is.
Don't quote me, I'm not interested in you. I didn't ask you. I ignored.

Tail definitely. Although I find dobermans to be pretty hot, I hate that it's not their natural look and they don't come with short tails by default. I'd not chop one up if I had one.

Anyhow, the longer the tail the more expressive they are! Long fluffy sweepers are my kinda thing. Curly tail is wonderful on female dogs too :husky_love: and currently my favorite!
That’s exactly how I feel about them. Super attractive look, but I can’t abide by how it’s achieved

Back