Stud supplements and neutered dogs

• Thread starter Dolphinlover101
  • Start date
D

Dolphinlover101

I was wondering if any of you know what would happen if you used stud supplements on a neutered dog. Would it make the neutered dog more likely to hump or would it do more harm than good. I am just curious is all. Don’t want to do it without knowing if it would hurt my dog

I was wondering if any of you know what would happen if you used stud supplements on a neutered dog. Would it make the neutered dog more likely to hump or would it do more harm than good. I am just curious is all. Don’t want to do it without knowing if it would hurt my dog
EXTREMELY unlikely to do anything at all - unless you count transferring some (probably idiotically large) amount of money out of your pocket and into the seller's bank account as "doing something".

Even for a critter with balls, these sort of things are 99% hype, aimed squarely at desperate, gullible, or both, fools with more money than sense who think that there's some kind of magic cure for boner-malfunction.

So, in summary, throw your money away if that's what gets your rocks off, but don't expect to "cure" a dog that's been sexually mutilated with some magic pill. Keep in mind that one of the major intents behind neutering is to eliminate sexual behavior, and that the procedure works *VERY* well in all but a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

Only a vet could tell you whether any kind of medicine is safe for a dog. You should not try anything like that without the knowledge of what it may do. But in all likelihood:
Keep in mind that one of the major intents behind neutering is to eliminate sexual behavior, and that the procedure works *VERY* well in all but a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

Ok people I was just curious about it. I am not going to actually do it. Sheesh!

Then why ask?
Because I was curious about it and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. i said so in my previous comment. What is wrong with asking questions that I don’t know what is the answer to it. You make it seem like it is a bad thing to ask questions.

Because I was curious about it and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. i said so in my previous comment. What is wrong with asking questions that I don’t know what is the answer to it. You make it seem like it is a bad thing to ask questions.
Rule one - put your partners safety before your own.

that should have answered any question you possibly had about a drug for for sex.

In an attempt to answer the OP's question (without judgement) here's the abstract from an actual scientific study titled "Coital behavior in dogs: VI. Long-term effects of castration upon mating in the male." (if anyone has or can get the full text I'd love to read it)

7 sexually experienced male dogs were castrated and tested for copulatory behavior for 21-36 mo. Gonadectomy had no effect upon latency or rate of mounting behavior. Within 6 mo there was a decrease in the frequency of intromission and in the length of time erection was maintained. Behavioral measures showed no further decline in 2.5 yr. Administration of testosterone proprionate temporarily reversed the changes produced by castration. Castrated Ss without androgen therapy continued to display the complete copulatory pattern after adrenalectomy. 2Ss castrated at 4 mo. of age showed normal mounting responses, and under the influence of exogenous androgen achieved intromission. They were unable to effect complete mating with a genital lock, probably due to underdevelopment of the penis. 3 Ss without coital experience were castrated at 30 mo. of age and tested with estrous females 6 mo. later. Ss were emotionally disturbed by the novel testing situation and relatively little mounting behavior occurred. Administration of testosterone propionate was followed by the display of completely normal copulatory behavior on the part of all castrates. 3 mo. after cessation of androgen therapy only 1 completed mating occurred but mounting responses continued well above pretreatment levels.

See also https://patents.justia.com/patent/20140371189 . Yes, you read that right, not only are castrated dogs being treated with testosterone to improve their health (and it's not killing them) the vet who tried this as a commercial product (google: "dogosterone") has actually tried to patent the idea :oops:

I thought the OP meant "stud dog supplements", like some mix of zinc, vitamins and amino-acids etc. Those will do nothing except lighten your wallet, as UR20Z already explained.
As for the thought of drug/hormone replacement therapy just to get your dog to perform, that one unfortunately does come up a lot, it showcases some problematic morals or ethics and I think previous posts have nailed that.

To be clear, that patent isn't for a product, what he's patenting is "a method of treating an animal [...]", specifically in the context of "for treating osteoarthritis (also known as degenerative joint disease), intervertebral disc disease, hip dysplasia, weakness due to old age, muscle atrophy and joint pain". This distinction is important, because a patent like that would allow the patent holder to sell seminars and certifications in their "patented method". The patent office doesn't assure the therapy is valid or safe.
And in fact, in the many years this product has been floating around, I can't find anything published by this guy at all, let alone any evidence to support this as valid, safe and effective medical therapy for what he's claiming. All he seems to have is testimonials. Right on the main page of his website, he's got the mention "This treatment is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease". And sure enough, 1450$ US for 1.25h seminar, plus recurring renewal fees to keep your "certification" and use the trademarked names in your advertisements. I'm guessing that's why you'll find only a dozen vets registered on his website.

Because some people have access to testosterone products through non-medical channels, I think one of those "don't try this at home" disclaimers is warranted. If you think this type of therapy will be beneficial to your pet, talk to your vet, if they haven't convinced you otherwise feel free to talk to one of the handful of registered ones from the website.

Back