Should your medical insurance include training costs for service animals

As someone who lives in the western US I am very tired of the strict rules that public transit for emotional support animals and therapy animals. So if I want to travel long distances with my dog who is an emotional support animal it would have to be via a family or friend’s vehicle or the rare case Uber/Lyft. Since the rule of public transportation in my area states that unless the animal is a service animal the animal has to be transported in a secured carrier, should the service animal training be included in medical insurance? Also the rule does extend to large dogs that would be physically unable to carry up the steps of a bus or train. I understand the concept of the rule but it is poorly implemented.

correct me if I’m wrong—are you saying you wish the service animal rules also applied to emotional support animals, and are frustrated they don’t?

No insurance covers service dog training, which will set you back 15-30,000. Folks I’ve known have raised money through a local radio station as a human interest story, and crowdsourcing.

The problem is the rules were straight up abused by people. A lot of 'support animals' who are filthy, poorly behaved, etc. And many people who used the rules to move animals that weren't even pets-one airline had to transport a pig in the passenger cabin who...well, acted like a pig, and it turned out, was to be the main guest at a BBQ.

Back