Saying Goodbye After So Many Years

Backgrounder

Citizen of Zooville
My companions, all of them, were extremely long lived.

They all had grey and white in their muzzles and aches and pains when it was cold, they were old timers by any standard.

My dad told me that most people never get to see their dogs and cats get old and grey, that the love we gave them made the difference.

He said it's a bittersweet thing because the longer you have them the more they become a constant in your life and when they pass away it hurts all the more and I whole heartedly agree, each passing gutted us, I cried and mourned as did the whole family

My dog who I lost last year she was 17 years.

My cat the previous year was by my side since grade school and was 20 years old when she passed.

My dog who I swear was my soul bonded companion died at the age of 18 years. I still havent gotten over losing him as my shadow, the bond we had was indescribable.

Our family dog died at 17 years.

All the people are astounded by the age my pets reached, their dogs and cats lives are so short in comparison, and they arent abusive or neglectful people but they talk about 10 years being the most long lived theyve had.

Were their lifespans all that unusual?

I know the size and breed are a factor but in our case it hasn't been a relative one.

I just want to hear your thoughts on how long everyone heres animals lived and how you get over losing companions after so long together.

Your dogs reached really high ages – a lucky bunch to have lived in a good, loving home.

My companion was 15 years old when he died. I think that is quite old when one considers that he had a handicap which also made it necessary for him to take aggressive drugs for years. There were few times when the medicine almost killed him instead of the handicap that the medicine was supposed to make more bearable. Poor guy. But he enjoyed the nice aspects of life. How to get over losing him, that I don't know.

Fortunately I’ve never had the loss of a pet yet and my dog is approx 6 so I should have years of companionship left

Back