renting problem

“Dog interviews” are awesome. Basically you take your doggo to see the landlord or whomever is in charge. Your dog is their usual sweet self, landlord is impressed, and you can even make it into some apartments or houses that would otherwise not allow them.

I’ve also seen making a little informational resume for your dog to hand in with your application. Just some ideas!

But it’s tough, and it seems that most rentals at least in the US are horribly close minded to allowing pets, even though keeping them requires an extra layer of responsibility that could lend itself well to taking care of a home.

While I understand some of the “they will damage the carpet” argument, nobodies dog has a wild booze filled party and throws up on every surface like some humans.

Ya my friend say i cab always cheat the system and use veteran status to get them papered as my service dog

That’s less than ideal for all the folks who are in the system with actual service dogs!

Had a client with a service dog—one who tracks his epilepsy—that got jumped on by a “totally legal” service dog that wasn’t actually trained for anything but had just snuck in there because the vests can be bought off Amazon without certification.

Traumatized the poor dog, who them struggled to do her job as well in public.

While I am normally in favor of cheating systems that are dumb like “you can’t park your car behind your house because it makes the neighborhood look bad” community watch; I absolutely support the ones that have actual value. Trained service dogs are expensive and perform sometimes life changing services for their handlers—you shouldn’t cheat that system in my opinion.

But hey. Maybe some other folks can chime in with opinions or experience!

i get you so im getting looked at for VA disability payout and if i can get it i can have them either give me a dog thats already trained or one i picked to be trained so he would be an "actual service dog" so it wouldnt be just some dog with a vest from amazon

does anyone have tips or tricks to getting app that allow dogs regardless of size ect
There is an option to get a doctors note from your psychiatrist to allow a dog to be in the apartment or house. It would be an emotional support animal. Usually at apartments they waive pet rent at least sometimes pet deposit but that would depend on if you are moving into an apartment or renting a whole house and not a room for rent. I got really lucky with my landlord allowing my dog to live with me since I live in a room for rent. I also got in writing that if my dog were to pass away by normal circumstances like old age or serious illness or getting run over by a car, I could get another dog this is in my latest lease.
It will overall depend on your situation.

Your dog will act differently and probably be on their worst behavior when going out of the house or meeting new people so plan for testing / training them in the exact scenario you want them to perform in. I'm thinking about dog interviews or meeting your landlord during inspections.

Back