People who live in Canada, where did you get your intact dogs?

curiosa

Lurker
I'm planning on adopting/purchasing a lifelong friend and companion soon but I don't want to neuter them. However, EVERY breeder and shelter I've met with has the requirement of neutering or spaying a dog before I'm allowed to take them home, or an immoveable date + deposit with a vet for a future neuter.

Why is this not my choice? I understand if breeders don't want their dogs sireing dogs for shows. But what if they're already a mix?

In any case. Can anyone DM me a breeder or someone I could get in contact with about dogs?

I’m not Canadian but isn’t it part of the law or something? Either way it really is awful ?

You might be able to find a puppy without such contract on sites like Craig’s List, there are often accidental litters and people need to get rid of the dogs in some way. You probably won’t have as much choice as with breeders but it’s better than a dog with missing parts.

A lot of the time a breeder will allow you to buy the breeding rights of the dog, which can get expensive. Basically breeders are protecting their bloodlines, and trying to prevent inexperienced breeders from breeding dogs with common and hereditary health conditions. Its inconvenient for those of us who "want" an intact dog, but on the whole breeders are trying to improve the gene pool and prevent unwanted litters.

Oh my god, is Canada really that awful about breeding dogs??? In Finland our dogs are mostly intact and we have no stray dogs. I have never in my life seen a stray dog! This is because it's illegal to sell puppies in pet strores, we get them straight from the breeders.

Is it possible for you to get a mix breed? Mutts are just as good (if not even genetically better in some cases) than a pure bred dogs

Oh my god, is Canada really that awful about breeding dogs??? In Finland our dogs are mostly intact and we have no stray dogs. I have never in my life seen a stray dog! This is because it's illegal to sell puppies in pet strores, we get them straight from the breeders.

Is it possible for you to get a mix breed? Mutts are just as good (if not even genetically better in some cases) than a pure bred dogs

Oh I don't mind getting a mix. It's just... Rescue dogs are always spayed/neutered. It's a requirement. Breeders usually have you sign something that you will get the dog spayed/neutered or have a vet appointment set up (for adult dogs). I also don't ever want to support a puppy mill without my knowledge either.

Back