Our dog is getting old

CireArts

Tourist
Our Lab/rot mix is 15 and is not doing so good. His hips are shot and he has a real hard time getting up. Stairs are difficult for him so I build a ramp for him to get onto our deck so he can be with us when we are outside. Sometimes when he is walking his hips will give out and his butt drops to the ground. I thin he is in a lot of pain. He doesn't moan or groan or anything, he just keeps going. As far as sex, its been two years since he has been able to. Its very sad seeing our dog approach the end of his life. My wife and I dont really know what more we can do to make him comfortable. Anyway, Just wanted to share.. He is such a great friend..

Well, as long as he still has things he does enjoy be happy for those. I know many would say to end his suffering when he's obviously in pain some times - but personally I don't think much about that if any being still shows a will to go on. Life always means to suffer to some degree - sometimes it really is too much, then you have to do what you can to minimize that - but in my belief there is nothing after death so I value life very much. Be happy for every hour you still can enjoy together and don't let anyone guilt trip you into "ending his suffering" while he still enjoys parts of his life. Also be happy for all the good times you have already shared :)

Thank you for building the ramp. It's kind of you to aid your senior dog. I suppose that you have consulted a vet ... there are drugs to ease pain, but what they can do is limited and some have side effects that are not nice either. Life is ultimately finite, but that makes every day where our dogs and ourselves can enjoy something like affection or a nice meal and the spring time sounds and odors precious. I keep my fingers crossed for some more happy moments for your friend.

My male has hip and elbow dysplasia that has been giving him issues for a while now. Not as bad as your boy, but bad enough that it's slowing him down. The first thing I did was start giving him glucosamine and fish oil with every meal, it really seemed to help. A year or so later the vet prescribed Carprofen, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication. It also seems to help, especially by speeding up recovery from soreness and stiffness he experiences after exerting himself. Both supplements and the medication are incredibly cheap, I'm spending about $40 a month total. They don't cure the problem, but they make him more comfortable and he seems much more active and happy. He can even jump into my truck again, which he couldn't do for a while there.

If you haven't tried these things yet, give them a shot. Keep him as happy and healthy as you can for as long as you can.

Our Lab/rot mix is 15 and is not doing so good. His hips are shot and he has a real hard time getting up. Stairs are difficult for him so I build a ramp for him to get onto our deck so he can be with us when we are outside. Sometimes when he is walking his hips will give out and his butt drops to the ground. I thin he is in a lot of pain. He doesn't moan or groan or anything, he just keeps going. As far as sex, its been two years since he has been able to. Its very sad seeing our dog approach the end of his life. My wife and I dont really know what more we can do to make him comfortable. Anyway, Just wanted to share.. He is such a great friend..
He will keep going until he dies, or you put him down...if you can stand to watch it. Thats reality....you will soon find youself carrying him outside to do his biz. Been there...once. I won't do that again. Have a heart.

Do the right thing. Put him down and end his suffering. Had dogs that would go forever till the body gave out completely. Don’t let him get to that point. It’s just pain to keep up anymore.

Souls exist do not worry about a afterlife trust me. remember to preserve that loved one's pawprint in a immortalize clay kit. Keep pictures/videos close and guarded. Let him/her know your the last thing they will see/touch/remember. He/she deserves that much. Try to keep quality of life first.

It is a sad thing, when the time comes, but it is absolutely a part of living close with animals. Its up to you to think for them of these things. Afterlife not withstanding, their spans are shorter than ours....you knew this when you got the pet; Tortoises and the Parrots live longer....would you have them adopted so they had caretakers? Of course....because for them, THAT is the right thing...insisting on extending a creature's life, because you will not or cannot do the right thing is not a good thing. Period. They do their best for us....do your best for them.

Back