OSS question

D

DM25

So I plan on breeding my girl soon, and while I want to keep her intact, I've been playing around with the idea of potentially going for an ovary sparing spay to not having to worry about pyo anymore. It's been a major source of anxiety for me, watching her constantly for 2 months, worrying everytime she starts to refuse to eat in that time. Although she's a husky so it's normal for her to do so from time to time, but still. There's also the fact I want to keep a boy from the litter and I don't want him to potentially knock her up, but one day he has to continue the line so him getting a vasectomy is not something I want to do. So anyway, if anyone knows because I looked through threads and didn't get too clear of answers
1) since they take the cervix, how much do the shorten the vaginal canal?
2) I know it's recommended to not let males have sex with them because it can hurt them, is it just a male dogs roughness? Or is it their length? Because I'm fairly big, I don't want to hurt her in that case
3) from what I understand 6 weeks should be the heal time, I guess I just want conformation
4) what does happen if she is hurt by sex? Like if a male dog was to get inside

1) since they take the cervix, how much do the shorten the vaginal canal?
It'll be shortened to just enough before the cervix to tie everything off safely, where ever the surgeon feels comfortable. You'll only know once it's done.

2) I know it's recommended to not let males have sex with them because it can hurt them, is it just a male dogs roughness? Or is it their length? Because I'm fairly big, I don't want to hurt her in that case
It's a combination of both. Dogs aren't the gentlest, but also they'll get locked in before they get to full size. The mechanics are completely different then with a human. If you "bottom out" and keep pushing, you'll obviously risk causing problems.

3) from what I understand 6 weeks should be the heal time, I guess I just want conformation
It takes time to completely heal. She'll be back to normal by 6 weeks, but there's still stuff healing. If you're looking to know if things are "solid" enough by that point, the closest answer you'll get is "probably"

4) what does happen if she is hurt by sex? Like if a male dog was to get inside
Might be fine, but worst case scenario is rupture of the shortened uterus, sperm peritonitis +/- septic peritonitis, which would be life threatening, likely fatal.

It'll be shortened to just enough before the cervix to tie everything off safely, where ever the surgeon feels comfortable. You'll only know once it's done.
Would it be OK to talk to the surgeon about it and see? Citing a what if a male got in her?
It's a combination of both. Dogs aren't the gentlest, but also they'll get locked in before they get to full size. The mechanics are completely different then with a human. If you "bottom out" and keep pushing, you'll obviously risk causing problems.
Fair enough. Although even now it's hard for me to tell if I've bottomed out. I'm rather long at about 7 inches, although it's also hard to tell how far I actually get in because frankly, she makes me feel small when I'm inside
It takes time to completely heal. She'll be back to normal by 6 weeks, but there's still stuff healing. If you're looking to know if things are "solid" enough by that point, the closest answer you'll get is "probably"
So basically play it by ear. That was the time frame given to my by a in school vet freind
Might be fine, but worst case scenario is rupture of the shortened uterus, sperm peritonitis +/- septic peritonitis, which would be life threatening, likely fatal.
What are those last to things? Just sperm getting in the blood stream?
I mean, if it's just me how would I prevent this from happening

What are those last to things? Just sperm getting in the blood stream?
I mean, if it's just me how would I prevent this from happening
Peritonitis is a not-location-specific "infection of the peritoneal area" - basically, the region where "the guts" are - Anything thats inside the body cavity, but not on the "head" side of the diaphragm and isn't *ALSO* inside the digestive, reproductive, or urinary tracts. It's a prime place for damn near any form of bug to get a foothold and go "wildfire" mode through the rest of the body after "simmering" for a while. As a human example, back in the day, somebody who got "gut-shot" was almost certainly going to die of peritonitis - after a nice while of screaming agony as the infection took hold and started eating everything.

Peritonitis is a not-location-specific "infection of the peritoneal area" - basically, the region where "the guts" are - Anything thats inside the body cavity, but not on the "head" side of the diaphragm and isn't *ALSO* inside the digestive, reproductive, or urinary tracts. It's a prime place for damn near any form of bug to get a foothold and go "wildfire" mode through the rest of the body after "simmering" for a while. As a human example, back in the day, somebody who got "gut-shot" was almost certainly going to die of peritonitis - after a nice while of screaming agony as the infection took hold and started eating everything.
Oh OK I think I understand. Basicly if the end of the vaginal canal was to rupture it would alow sperm and bacteria from the canal and what's introduced from the mating to get in to the body cavity and cause all sorts of trouble around the organs and connective tissues.

Oh OK I think I understand. Basicly if the end of the vaginal canal was to rupture it would alow sperm and bacteria from the canal and what's introduced from the mating to get in to the body cavity and cause all sorts of trouble around the organs and connective tissues.
Precisely.

Would it be OK to talk to the surgeon about it and see? Citing a what if a male got in her?
It's fair to discuss your concerns regarding mating injury. If you can't or don't plan to prevent her from being mated, they should recommend alternatives to OSS like traditional spay. If they do OSS, they should perform the surgery the way it's supposed to be done.

It's fair to discuss your concerns regarding mating injury. If you can't or don't plan to prevent her from being mated, they should recommend alternatives to OSS like traditional spay. If they do OSS, they should perform the surgery the way it's supposed to be done.
I mean I'd still try to prevent her from being mated by a dog. But I plan on keeping a male pup from the litter.
As for mating with me? Well I'd rather not end our sex life if at all possible. And I have heard of dogs mating after OSS from someone who had their girls done that way. But idk how it was done for those girls as it was apparently done by vet students.

Just to be clear, many report dogs mating and being fine after OSS., very few reports of injury. It's a possibility, but not the most frequent outcome. It's just that the consequences if it does happen are disastrous. A contaminated abdomen is more diffucult (and expensive) to fix, and much less likely to be survived then pyometra (or unwanted pregnancy).
Some reports of changes, and some reports of no changes with human partner afterwards, but surprisingly scarce info available on that topic.
Also, whether surgery was done by students or experienced surgeons, the procedure is the same. The standard is to remove the cervix to prevent stump pyometra.
Don't know if any of this is helping. Not too many people with first hand experience have spoken up on the matter.

Just to be clear, many report dogs mating and being fine after OSS., very few reports of injury. It's a possibility, but not the most frequent outcome. It's just that the consequences if it does happen are disastrous. A contaminated abdomen is more diffucult (and expensive) to fix, and much less likely to be survived then pyometra (or unwanted pregnancy).
Some reports of changes, and some reports of no changes with human partner afterwards, but surprisingly scarce info available on that topic.
Also, whether surgery was done by students or experienced surgeons, the procedure is the same. The standard is to remove the cervix to prevent stump pyometra.
Don't know if any of this is helping. Not too many people with first hand experience have spoken up on the matter.
Yes it is helping. Particularly this last post.
Still probably a ways off. I thought she'd have pups this heat but the stud is a dud and I have to keep looking

I live with a pair of great danes and the female had an OSS about 2 years ago. I did ask the vet if she will be ok if the male did try to attempt mating. He assured me she would. She's still happy and healthy.

Back