Opinions on neuticles?

In the event of a medically necessary castration, are the use of neuticles agood idea?

• Total voters

runkhorn

Tourist
In the event of a medically necessary castration, what are you opinions on the use of neuticles? (prosthetic testicles)
do you believe as stated on their website that they help a dog retain self esteem?
"Neuticles allows your precious pet to retain his natural look, self esteem and aids the pet and pet’s owner with trauma associated with altering. Perfectly safe and complication free for over twenty five years."

Last edited:
That just sounds…unnecessary.

Why do humans try to humanize an animals feelings? They don’t feel emotions at the same level we do.

so no one here thinks a dog is even capable of being concerned why a piece of his body has suddenly gone missing?

so no one here thinks a dog is even capable of being concerned why a piece of his body has suddenly gone missing?
I doubt that a dog has the awareness required to know anything more than "Ouch - that place where I used to lick hurts", let alone "be concerned" about not having testicles anymore. The awareness level just ain't there.

Not really, no.

They may notice, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're concerned about it.

They're not inherently vital to its survival. Reproduction, yes. Survival as an individual, no.

hmm, if they're so perceptually unaware, why do so many dogs dislike going to the vet? surely, it's because they remember being poked, prodded, jabbed, anesthetized or dare I say bits going missing?
I've always thought of dogs as being far more perceptive than us. They can even understand *a lot* of English. they just don't speak English. maybe the depth of thought isn't there. at least he does not have a visual reminder or associate the vet with bits going missing.

Last edited:
Don’t cut his balls off in the first place if you can help it. No need for another unnecessary surgery that comes with the risk of FB reject

Not at all what I implied, mine was in regard to if they cared to have a cosmetic replacement, which I don't think they would because dogs don't appear to be as visually motivated as humans are about appearances. At the point one is considering neuticles, there's a change that an inert implant isn't going to alter.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, if they're so perceptually unaware, why do so many dogs dislike going to the vet? surely, it's because they remember being poked, prodded, jabbed, anesthetized or dare I say bits going missing?
I've always thought of dogs as being far more perceptive than us. They can even understand English. they just don't speak English. maybe the depth of thought isn't there. at least he does not have a visual reminder or associate the vet with bits going missing.

Because for most dogs a visit to the vet means getting poked and prodded by strangers. If you think about it happening to yourself with no context for what is going on it would not be a pleasant experience. Add to that the smells of other dogs, many ill, many also nervous and afraid, it's not conducive to a pleasant experience. This is why I always bring my treat bag and work with my dog while we're waiting and why when the vet does any uncomfortable procedure I make sure to distract with high-value treats. I want my dog to be calm and happy about the place that isn't fun, but is necessary.

I agree dogs are more perceptive than most people give them credit for, but to claim they understand english I don't think is a valid assumption. They have learned the context of certain sounds, that when I say "sit" if they sit they get rewarded, but that's not the same as understanding a human language.

well, that'd be nice if there were vets in my area capable of prescribing the much easier & proven treatment for a condition that occurs in allegedly 70%+ of aging intact male dogs. benign prostatic hyperplasty. and it's treatment, Finasteride, used also in humans. Better get educated and find a vet in your area that is also. before your boy gets old. None of the vets I went to or called will tell you they don't know how to prescribe it until you schedule, wait, and pay for a visit. Even the specialty center (&emergency room) in my area does not prescribe it or consider it a solution.
so since all my vets leave something to desired...

they say there has never been a single case of rejection but anything is possible sure (I'm searching for reported cases and cant find any). I don't see any downside to get them besides cost. the only difference is that maybe my dog doesn't have any reason to believe I've had his nuts removed? people who have them easily notice that they're not real but they don't cause any discomfort either.

apparently the success rate is so perfect that "
Unlike any medical product- Neuticles insures each pet for up to $2 million against any form of complication. This guarantee
covers not only the pet- but the veterinarian performing the implantation and the clinic or hospital."

I'm trying here. there's just some things treats cant fix.
probably I'm the one guilty of believing dogs are perceptually unaware enough to tricked into believing i did not neuter

Unlike any medical product- Neuticles insures each pet for up to $2 million against any form of complication. This guarantee
covers not only the pet- but the veterinarian performing the implantation and the clinic or hospital."

That doesn't mean they are beneficial, just that they are so unlikely to cause complication that insurance sometimes makes for a good marketing strategy. I think they're purely cosmetic, dogs don't need to see another's balls to anything about the other dog, so I don't think they care about how it looks.

probably I'm the one guilty of believing dogs are perceptually unaware enough to tricked into believing i did not neuter

We make decisions for them that benefit the dog and we have to make them with the information we have available at the time. When our fellow started having problems from BPH we talked to the vet who said, "neuter". We didn't like that option so we asked for a referal to a urologist who said, "neuter". Unsatisfied with that we talked to another who said, "neuter". I'm not the expert, I take their advice and I decide. If I had known of finasteride then I would have talked to the vet about it, but I didn't. He got neutered, he's still the happy buddy we always had but at least he's not dealing with BPH issues. Not what we wanted, but it's what we got and it helped him, so it was a good call. Saying all of this because it reads to me you're feeling bad about doing something to help your dog when there was a possible alternative you didn't know about. We make the call on what we know and the advice we're given.

I don't think my fella would give a shit if he had two fake balls, he's happy enough if I throw the ones he brings me.

Edit: in regard to finasteride...
When I first heard of finasteride I did some reading. It seems to be effective, but there can be some very serious complications from it, including permanent loss of sexual interest, much as neutering often (but not always) entails. It might work for some cases, but it's not a magic bullet that works without risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, that'd be nice if there were vets in my area capable of prescribing the much easier & proven treatment for a condition that occurs in allegedly 70%+ of aging intact male dogs. benign prostatic hyperplasty. and it's treatment, Finasteride, used also in humans. Better get educated and find a vet in your area that is also. before your boy gets old. None of the vets I went to or called will tell you they don't know how to prescribe it until you schedule, wait, and pay for a visit. Even the specialty center (&emergency room) in my area does not prescribe it or consider it a solution.
so since all my vets leave something to desired...

they say there has never been a single case of rejection but anything is possible sure (I'm searching for reported cases and cant find any). I don't see any downside to get them besides cost. the only difference is that maybe my dog doesn't have any reason to believe I've had his nuts removed? people who have them easily notice that they're not real but they don't cause any discomfort either.

Long and short of it: You wanna get your dog a set of fake balls, that's on you. He's *EXTREMELY* unlikely to care one way or the other. Just be aware that you're helping the outfit that sells this brand of snake-oil take money out of your wallet, and put it in theirs. But do everyone a favor and quit with the "yabbut" and "what if" stuff in hopes of gettign someone to make the decision for you.

Either spend idiotic amounts of money on something utterly and completely useless for anything other than making you feel your dog is "still manly", or don't, but my god, man, make a stand one way or the other!!!

I'm not asking you to decide for me. it's done. this is a discussion of the potential merits or downsides. or input from anyone who has experience on the matter.

Last edited:
Potential merits: None for the dog. For the human, MAYBE the reassurance that you're "still a man" 'cause your dog has a nice big sack of (fake) balls hanging there for the world to see.

Potential downsides: Expensive, pointless, cosmetic only, complications of surgery to install them (I DO NOT HAVE EVEN A SINGLE LONELY BUNNY-TURD WORTH OF A SHIT TO GIVE about what their advertising literature says on the topic of how safe they are, so don't bother to mention it) the fact remains, no matter what their claims, that when you cause a wound, for *ANY* reason, be it good, bad, or in between, the potential for bad results - infections, including potentially fatal ones, failure of the wound to close/heal (relatively rare, but does happen) scarring, etc - is always present, and quite real.

Lemme save you a "yabbut": I couldn't g\ive a rat's behind what their sales literature says. They'll say ANYTHING they can get away with to convince you to give them your money for this pathetic, purely cosmetic, and aimed only at making the human feel better GARBAGE.

You asked for an opinion, so I'll give you a straight, all-the-bark-still-on, no punches pulled, totally honest, no-nonsense and no apoligies for it answer: Neuticles exist for no reason other than to separate pathetic, insecure posers from their money as they try to convince themselves that they truly are "MANLY MEN!" because their dog who had its nuts cut off (for whatever reason, good, bad, or otherwise) looks like it still has balls. That's it. That's all. If I had my way, the company would be banned from doing business, and anybody who actually fell for their would be given a one-way ride to the gulags because they're too stupid to be allowed amongst sentient humans.

Back