Online Safety

kmy9

Tourist
Hi all.
I'm concerned about our online safety and would like suggestions or advice we can all share.
I currently use Tor on it's safest settings.
No other VPN or routing.

I segregate all my online identities heavily, I adopt slightly different typing styles per identity, I use tor and VPNs where and whenever possible, a proper firewall to prevent leaks, separate machines for separate identities. I'm full blown tinfoil paranoid but its more just a fun time practicing hardcore opsec. I'm very glad this place does not ban tor but kind of upsetting they don't have an onion or eepsite I know of.

I segregate all my online identities heavily, I adopt slightly different typing styles per identity, I use tor and VPNs where and whenever possible, a proper firewall to prevent leaks, separate machines for separate identities. I'm full blown tinfoil paranoid but its more just a fun time practicing hardcore opsec. I'm very glad this place does not ban tor but kind of upsetting they don't have an onion or eepsite I know of.
When you consider the implications of being outed, I'd say the tinfoil hat is required when you're unsure of the situation.

Please check out these two threads.

The onion address works kind of weirdly. Maybe if more people request it, it might get fixed.

@ThisIsKnotLove I think they do have an onion, when I searched on duckduckgo a while back I inadvertently clicked their onion by accident and wasn't using tor lol edit: @pes' post links to a thread that discusses the onion in question

Damn that's amazing though, wish I had the money and the effort to invest in keeping myself that secure from being outed 😅

They talking about VPN that keep logs. there are plenty that don't:
rb.gy/ijj2ga
You have to keep in mind that they might *SAY* they keep no logs, but you and I and Joe Average have absolutely no possible way to know whether that's a true statement or not.

Seems to me it was only a few months ago that one of the loudest "We keep no logs" VPNs got smeared all over the web after turning a boatload worth of logs that they supposedly didn't keep over to some police agency or other in connection with a cheeze-pizza investigation, which got a dozen or so persons of interest in several countries questioned, arrested, or both. I'd have to go digging for the details of exactly which one it was, but I do recall some of the commentary from third parties making a big deal of their prior "We keep no logs! Ever!" claims. Not sure, but I'm wanting to say that they went Tango-Uniform as a VPN provider not very long after the news broke. I can't possibly imagine why... <rolls eyes>

My point being, anybody can make any claims they like, but until something like that happens, how does anyone actually *KNOW* that the claim is or isn't true, other than reaching the "who watches the watchmen" point and just throwing up your hands in despair, and taking them at their word 'cause there's simply no way to verify the truth one way or the other?

They talking about VPN that keep logs. there are plenty that don't:
rb.gy/ijj2ga
I suggest actually reading the whole 3 articles. "We keep no logs" means nothing if you are legally bound to lie to your customers. The poin behind the articles is that you are merely shifting the trust from one company to another with no guarantee that they tell the truth. And at the same time a vpn provider is more likely to be a honeypot and on top of that they are a money making company. As soon as you become a problem you are worthless for them.

I suggest actually reading the whole 3 articles. "We keep no logs" means nothing if you are legally bound to lie to your customers. The poin behind the articles is that you are merely shifting the trust from one company to another with no guarantee that they tell the truth. And at the same time a vpn provider is more likely to be a honeypot and on top of that they are a money making company. As soon as you become a problem you are worthless for them.
Which companies are legally bound to lie to you? Wouldn't this be grounds for a legal case?

Which companies are legally bound to lie to you? Wouldn't this be grounds for a legal case?
It's called a gag order, and while repulsive, it is QUITE legal, with a LONG history of use. If they, whoever that happens to be, were to make it known that they were collecting/passing on information while such an order is in place, they'd be hit with penalties that can range from a fine that means little or nothing, to something so nasty it's effectively the same as "We (the cops/FBI/whoever) now own you and all your assets, you're no longer in business, and you may be finding yourself in a prison cell in the not-too-distant future".

SOME places with content that could be considered "questionable" try to do an end-run around it (legality is iffy - some say it's the same as deliberately breaking the order, some claim it's not - sooner or later, it will end up in a court somewhere, and an actual legal determination will come down - for now, it is what it is) by putting up what's often called a "privacy canary" - yes, EXACTLY like the old "canary in the coal mine" - usually in the form of a snippet of text somewhere on the site, usually not screamingly obvious, often, but not always, as the last text at the bottom of the home page, but always placed so that if you go looking, you can find it if it's there. Wording varies, but generally it says something similar to "We have not been served with any sort of gag or surveillance order." If you see such wording on a site, keep an eye on it when you visit in the future - if/when they actually do get hit with such an order, the practice so far is to "kill the canary" - by removing the canary text from the site. If a site that you visit used to have a canary on previous visits, but doesn't on this visit, it's safest to assume that they've been handed some sort of "You WILL snitch to us on your users, and you WILL keep your mouth shut about getting this order" paperwork, and that every byte you send or receive is being logged and handed over, complete with your IP address, to SOMEBODY. Saying "we got a court order" would be breaking the order. Saying who that somebody is would be breaking the order. Killing the canary is in the legal shadow-land, but offers a way to at least throw out a "Heads-up! We've got the cops hanging over our (and therefore your) shoulder - watch what you say!" to their users.

When you consider the implications of being outed, I'd say the tinfoil hat is required when you're unsure of the situation.
Maybe not if you stand out you might be followed more, it's good to have a balance instead of being full techo

Back