New and/or missed tv shows worth watching!!

Grant172

Lurker
I find that these days tv shows and/or movies can be very hit and miss. Please post any recommendations for a series or movie that you think is worth watching. Include the name, genre, and a brief (no spoilers) description. I’ll get it going...

The Sinner:
- murder mystery with quite a twist!
- this show is a very untraditional murder mystery, as it’s not about who did the murder, or how, it’s all about why they did it. The murders simply do not make sense, and every time you think you’ve figured it out, you realize you haven’t shortly after.
- each season is 8 episodes long and covers a single murder, which is shown within the first 1/4 of the first episode.

Prodigal Son
- I’ve heard this described as a mix of watching silence of the lambs and Sherlock Holmes.
- follows the son of a prolific serial killer who works as a consultant for the police.
- he consults his dad in prison about cases he’s working in Wichita is an interesting twist
-im only starting episode 3, so I can’t say much more, but I’m really enjoying it so far!

Black Mirror
-British TV show
-an anthology so it doesn't matter if your watch them in order
-Based on technology and what it can do with our lives and how it can go wrong
-can be delightfully fucked up at times

Good Omens
-the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett book done as a mini series
-stars David Tennant
-incredibly enjoyable and witty
-a demon and an anal working together to stop the end of the world

The Sinner:
- murder mystery with quite a twist!
- this show is a very untraditional murder mystery, as it’s not about who did the murder, or how, it’s all about why they did it. The murders simply do not make sense, and every time you think you’ve figured it out, you realize you haven’t shortly after.
- each season is 8 episodes long and covers a single murder, which is shown within the first 1/4 of the first episode.
Oh my, I forgot a key point.. the main actor throughout the series is Bill Pullman as a detective; he plays president Whitmore in Independence day!

Timeless
-Sci Fi
-Time traveling show with some high quality history lessons in between an already juicy plot. People are constantly trying to change history to benefit them, and its up to the main protagonists to try and stop them and preserve history. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't!
-There are 2 seasons with a 2 hour movie finale at the end. The series is also easy to binge. One of my favorite tv shows of all time

Grimm
Fantasy SciFi Police drama
The Wesen look like humans but underneath they have more animal and other kinds of non human forms.
Nick is a Grimm, Grimms are people that can see the Wesen for who they are. He is also a police officer. It is no longer running but had a fairly proper ending that rapped up the main arks. I enjoyed it and the characters.

If you haven’t seen “The Expanse” on Amazon Prime, you’re seriously missing out.

Hands down the best Science Fiction series on right now, ESPECIALLY after Doctor Who fell apart.

It’s about humanity’s future- having spread out in to the stars. Earth is controlled by the United Nations, Mars has created its own independent government and has established themselves as a military power, and a string of space stations in the asteroid belts compose a pillaged and struggling group of space born humans. Peace hangs by a single thread- and all it’s going to take is a spark to start an all out war between them.

This may be a little of a guilty pleasure, but

The Masked Singer.

A singing contest with furry costumes and a guessing game gimmick that makes it less about the drama of the personal story and more about the performances. Even if Sarah Palin rapping that she likes big butts in a giant beanie baby suit is cringy, it's still genuinely lighthearted fun.

For anyone looking for some Zombie entertainment, I highly highly highly highly highly recommend ZNation, it's on Netflix, unlike TWD, it's more comical than serious, for example, this is currently my favorite zombie kill so far in the show, plus one of the main characters, he is fucking hilarious, and pretty much a Messiah of the zombies, and that's all I'm saying. Oh and one episode from season 3... funny as hell, it's literally two con artists role-playing as Trump, so basically Trump vs Trump, complete with the classic jokes (ie:hands, wig, wall, make "x" "y" again, fake news, etc)
View attachment videoplayback.mp4

Last edited:
Justified- Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins. The good guy is good, the bad guy is better. Story of a deputy US Marshal who is quick on the draw and because of this is punished with a posting in his home county somewhere in Kentucky. 5 seasons with a decent ending and a hell of a lot of fun in between.

Banshee- Anthony Starr and the hottest woman to ever hit Hollywood; Lili Simmons. It’s like a Jason Statham TV show, crazy, unbelievable storylines, intense heists, lots of sax and violins, great writing as well. The protagonist is a jewel thief who assumes the role of sheriff of a small town following an incident where the sheriff perishes. The main adversary is a former Amish guy gone local kingpin. 4 Seasons, very bingeable.

Carnival Row is pretty good, only one season so far but looks promising. Fairies and humans and cloven hooved things. Orlando Bloom and some hot chicks. Cara something or other.

Boardwalk Empire, some of these are older but I find a lot of people still haven’t seen them. Can’t recommend this one enough. Why? Steve Buscemi.

My top 5 movies (all old)
5. The Princess Bride
4. Office Space
3. Shaun Of The Dead
2. Howard Stern’s Private Parts
1. Human Traffic

Revolution

-Post apocalyptic tv show by the esteemed Joss Whedon

-set in a world where basically electricity just suddenly stopped functioning and the events of the show take place about a decade later

-they make a point about ammunition being extremely rare, so the early episodes have a lot of post apocalyptic sword fights which are fantastic

Burn Notice

-Action tv show about a blacklisted spy in Miami trying to find his way back into the agency

-Bruce Cambell as one of the leading characters

Back