Neutering a bitch

Would neutering a bitch affect playing with her will it make it harder to have fun with her

Short form: Almost certainly yes.

Slightly longer form: Probably, but can't be known for certain until it's done to a specific bitch. Too many variables to give a definitive "yes" or "no" answer. For the overwhelming majority, the answer will be "yes". For a few rare exceptions, things won't change, or won't change enough to make a difference at "playtime". Keep in mind that one of the goals of neutering (spaying is the more correct term when applied to females) is eliminating sexual behavior and/or desire for same. And it's EXTREMELY effective in the vast majority of cases.

Short form: Almost certainly yes.

Slightly longer form: Probably, but can't be known for certain until it's done to a specific bitch. Too many variables to give a definitive "yes" or "no" answer. For the overwhelming majority, the answer will be "yes". For a few rare exceptions, things won't change, or won't change enough to make a difference at "playtime". Keep in mind that one of the goals of neutering (spaying is the more correct term when applied to females) is eliminating sexual behavior and/or desire for same. And it's EXTREMELY effective in the vast majority of cases.
Thanks for that any advice if Wo was to get both a bitch and a dog but didn’t want to have puppies is the only solution keeping them apart

Thanks for that any advice if Wo was to get both a bitch and a dog but didn’t want to have puppies is the only solution keeping them apart
No. You can ask for female version of vasectomy. I do not know what it is called. The dog will go through heat, but will not be able to have puppies. It may come with other complications just like spaying comes with a risk of incontinence for example.
Why do you want both genders if that means that one of them will have to be modified?

Last edited:
No. You can ask for female version of vadectomy. I do not know what it is called. The dog will go through heat, but will not be able to have puppies. It may come with other complications just like spaying comes with a risk of incontinence for example.
Why do you want both genders if that means that one of them will have to be modified?
You're thinking of an Ovary-Sparing-Spay, a.k.a a partial spay. I'm still questioning if I should get one for my girl or not.

No. You can ask for female version of vadectomy. I do not know what it is called. The dog will go through heat, but will not be able to have puppies. It may come with other complications just like spaying comes with a risk of incontinence for example.
Just attracted to both genders and ideally would like one of each but not have to worry about the female getting pregnant.

So I think some definitions would help here!

Spay / Ovariectomy - Removing the ovaries completely
Hysterectomy - Removing the uterus
Ovary sparing spay / tube tying - Removing or tying off the fallopian tubes so eggs cannot get to from the ovaries to the uterus
Castration - Removing the testicles completely
Vasectomy - Removing a section of the vas deferens so sperm cannot leave the testicles

In many cases for female dogs both the ovaries and the uterus are removed. This can mean their vagina and cervix aren't normal anymore either after healing. Some spayed female dogs will experience pain or injury if penetrated. I don't have much experience with this but I know it happens.

You can seek out an ovary sparing spay which is usually a "tube tying" where the fallopian tubes are cut or tied with permenant suture to stop eggs from getting to the uterus. Same thing they do in humans. For your males you can get a vasectomy just like they do in human men. No more sperm means no puppies. Both of these options leave the hormone producing organs intact so behavior does not change at all. Females will have heat cycles and males will be males.

If you do get her ovaries removed expect behavioral changes. I don't know enough about dogs to say what those will be and every animal is different. In theory you could do hormone replacement to manipulate her behavior but hormones are prescription items so you need a vet to get them. If you know one who doesn't ask questions you could decide when she is receptive or not.

If you don't mind the behaviors that come with intact dogs like heat cycles and a need to hump everything I would seek out a tube tie or vasectomy depending on which one you want to be infertile. If you don't want your bitch to go into heat or risk pyometras then get her ovaries and uterus removed. That might mean she is never into sex of any kind though or she might be fine. No way to know before.

A lot of people get very scared of asking for non standard fertility control in their animals from vets. Generally speaking most won't care. The worst thing that happens is they think you are insane and say "no" so you go find another. For dogs there are lists of ovary sparing spay providers and I'm sure they would do vasectomies as well. Most vets will do whatever you want as long as you pay your bills. I had my mare's ovaries removed (horses are different than dogs and its a complicated) for foal control and no one asked any questions. They just think I'm a bit crazy. If you want a pair of dogs to get it on without puppies it isn't that hard. Just remember that your neighbor might not care that your male can't have puppies when he finds him tied to his bitch. Keeping intact animals is a commitment and a lot of work.

Hopefully more dog people can weigh in with their experiences.

I say get a toy dog or something and not a real living creature.

So I think some definitions would help here!

Ovary sparing spay / tube tying - Removing or tying off the fallopian tubes so eggs cannot get to from the ovaries to the uterus
Castration - Removing the testicles completely
Vasectomy - Removing a section of the vas deferens so sperm cannot leave the testicles

In many cases for female dogs both the ovaries and the uterus are removed. This can mean their vagina and cervix aren't normal anymore either after healing. Some spayed female dogs will experience pain or injury if penetrated. I don't have much experience with this but I know it happens.

You can seek out an ovary sparing spay which is usually a "tube tying" where the fallopian tubes are cut or tied with permenant suture to stop eggs from getting to the uterus. Same thing they do in humans. For your males you can get a vasectomy just like they do in human men. No more sperm means no puppies. Both of these options leave the hormone producing organs intact so behavior does not change at all. Females will have heat cycles and males will be males.

If you do get her ovaries removed expect behavioral changes. I don't know enough about dogs to say what those will be and every animal is different. In theory you could do hormone replacement to manipulate her behavior but hormones are prescription items so you need a vet to get them. If you know one who doesn't ask questions you could decide when she is receptive or not.

If you don't mind the behaviors that come with intact dogs like heat cycles and a need to hump everything I would seek out a tube tie or vasectomy depending on which one you want to be infertile. If you don't want your bitch to go into heat or risk pyometras then get her ovaries and uterus removed. That might mean she is never into sex of any kind though or she might be fine. No way to know before.

A lot of people get very scared of asking for non standard fertility control in their animals from vets. Generally speaking most won't care. The worst thing that happens is they think you are insane and say "no" so you go find another. For dogs there are lists of ovary sparing spay providers and I'm sure they would do vasectomies as well. Most vets will do whatever you want as long as you pay your bills. I had my mare's ovaries removed (horses are different than dogs and its a complicated) for foal control and no one asked any questions. They just think I'm a bit crazy. If you want a pair of dogs to get it on without puppies it isn't that hard. Just remember that your neighbor might not care that your male can't have puppies when he finds him tied to his bitch. Keeping intact animals is a commitment and a lot of work.

Hopefully more dog people can weigh in with their experiences.
Thank you that was very useful

I say get a toy dog or something and not a real living creature.
I was providing a less damaging option to complete removal of organs. In my own opinion modifying an animal for convenience is not good. The best way would be to get one gender now and the other one 15 years later.

I'm pretty sure Ovary sparing spay is just a Hysterectomy without Ovariectomy while neutering is a Ovariectomy often (in the US at least) combined with a Hysterectomy.

Of the (more or less) common population control measures a Vasectomy is likely the least invasive option. If you want to go through all the trouble of having both male and female dogs but aren't certain you can effectively separate the two during every heat cycle getting the male sterilized would prevent an unwanted litter. the surgery itself is also less invasive because the testicles are more easily accessible than anything you could do to a female and the procedure doesn't involve cutting open the belly.

Back