Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Old age

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

Snowman

Zooville Settler
So i recently lost my dog due to cancer and bloat and i have been thinking this is too common in dogs compared to for example cats.

Most of the litter was taken by cancer and she was the last of them.
But also friend's dog have been dying left and right.

Yea i had to make the decision to let her pass or take the fight, i was encouraged to let her go, i am not sure it was the right thing to do.

She had a good life and we have memory's but i am not sure i can handle this again in the future.

I would have liked to go with her.

Risks vary by breed and lineage. I lost one to cancer, one to pyometra, and everyone else to old age.

Starting from around 36 years ago, as a child, as far as I remember: Cancer, car accident, old age, cancer, cancer, organ failures (age related) ..

But around 70% of our family's kennel breeding puppies came out well alive for a long time, this means: longer than the contact with their new owners was existing, as such > 6-8 years regularly. None died in the first three years, which is quite a good ratio (as it is not uncommon for some of those two breeds to get cancer quite early).

Ended before the millennium change, as our (aunt side) kennel closed down. Means there were just our own dogs and then dog anymore. This was before and at the start of my own owned dogs.

Often cancer, often old age. Sometimes internal failures, like diabetes, kidney enlargement, bone tissue changes, mostly related to old age. One died due to poison baits thrown above our fenced area. One of the reasons I am controlling like a blood hound what all cared-for dogs pick into their snouts.

Unfortunately cancer and old age correlate. Like with humans.. the risk raises above 60, even more noticeable above 70. And that's "just" 5 to 9 years, depending on breed and size - in age comparison for dogs.

my previous boxer, I had to euthanize him when he was 12, (2018) tumor of the lymphatic glands (lymphomas) in one weekend a small lump that triples in volume on Sunday. the cause. : industrial junk food.

My family's two Shetland Sheepdogs both died of cancer. I lived with a Golden Retriever and a chihuahua that died from old age and heart failure respectively.

Back